Thread: Longest time in the shop for repairs on a E65/E66?

My Cars
    2013 Porsche Boxster S

Longest time in the shop for repairs on a E65/E66?

Hey folks, first post, doing it for a family member that is an original owner of a 2003 BMW 745i, ~120K miles.

No major issues until recently, when the car became stuck in park and had to be towed to a local BMW dealer. 2 months later, the car is still in the shop, with no word when repairs are slated to be completed. Yes, 2 months! We've been told parts had to be ordered from Germany, and the delay may have been stalled (unreasonably extended?) due to holidays.

Here is a list of items that we were told are being addressed. Some of these were discovered during the initial diagnostics:

1. New battery and reprogramming, quoted ~$600.
    2. Seal vacuum pump, ~$210
    3. Alternator bracket oil leak ~$1,200
    4. IVM module ~$450
    5. Coolant leak on expansion tank ~$970
    6. Expansion tank hose

Here is my question: what is the longest anyone had their car at a repair shop for a fix not involving a major collision or an engine overhaul? Should I be concerned, either about the length of the repairs, or other potential issues that may lurk behind these repairs (namely electronics, etc).

Thank you in advance!

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    Several questions:

1) Are they giving you, or your family member, a decent loaner to drive during this long interval?
    2) Have they said what caused the car to get stuck in Park, and what would fix it? (The items you listed seem unrelated, to me.)
    3) What part, specifically, are they waiting for and why is it needed?

And finally, 4) Why aren't you (or your family member) asking a lot of questions and demanding better service?

On the surface, it sounds like you're being hosed. They'll find ways to keep taking your money until you say "no more."

I have a relative that had mysterious electrical problems on a Mini. The dealer kept it 2 months to figure it all out, but loaned them a newer Cooper to drive in the interim, so they were OK with the delay. Personally, I've never left a car somewhere longer than a week. I've also twice paid to have cars towed to other shops, when it was clear that I was being taken advantage of. (Some shops will do that, when they know you can't drive the car off the lot.)

I have family and friends, who know nothing about cars, that often ask me to intermediate with the dealer or other mechanic. You might need someone like that.

Good luck.

My Cars
    2013 Porsche Boxster S
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffner View Post
    Several questions:

1) Are they giving you, or your family member, a decent loaner to drive during this long interval?
    2) Have they said what caused the car to get stuck in Park, and what would fix it? (The items you listed seem unrelated, to me.)
    3) What part, specifically, are they waiting for and why is it needed?

And finally, 4) Why aren't you (or your family member) asking a lot of questions and demanding better service?
    We do have a BMW X1 loaner, and therefore okay with the longer wait since we're essentially driving a new car during this time.

I believe the car was stuck in park due to battery issue, but upon diagnostics, the other issues were discovered. Not sure which parts needed to be ordered. Don't have specific details, as this is not my car, and the family member doesn't have specific details. I only intervened once I hear the car was still with the dealer 4 weeks in.

Thanks for your reply, I would have definitely called a meeting with the dealer but my family is a bit more hands off on these things. I was curious if after said repairs, there may be further concern of electronic gremlins or other reliability issues. The car is 15 years old.