Thread: rear convertible fabric straps (near back window)

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328ic

rear convertible fabric straps (near back window)

Hi,

My convertible tops works ok after replacing front lock motor and fixing the two trunk motors as well as assorted switches (S1 AND S2 are ADJUSTABLE) but at the rear of my top there are ribbons attached to the top which are ripped off and I cannot see where these are attached, can anyone help with this? Mine seem to interfere with the top going down as the top fabric isn't held into the right configuration going down so the bottom portion of the top near to the bottom of the rear window gets hung up when the top is being retracted. The ribbon seems in good shape but is unattached and I can't see where it is attached at the other end. Each side of the top is like this so i can't just copy one side to the other. Once I now where the ribbon is connected I can then sew it back in. So (now pun intended) if you any photos of a working top in this area or advice it would be appreciated. BTY, the only info that everyone talks about is the bat wing string fix but absolutely nothing on these rear ribbons so i guess I won the lottery, again.

Thanks, Don B

PS I have translated the german convertible top guide and hope to e able to offer the link to all the group soon!

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    Those would be the tension straps that have ripped. For a temp fix you can use bungy cords. You can look in the common questions / fixes here to find out how they can be used.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328ic
    I don't think so they are smaller width straps attached to the sides of the side framework. I looked at this youtube video to confirm that they aren't the same straps as the tension straps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2TNHN6VYpU
    I'll try to get some photos posted.

Don B

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    Pictures are always helpful.

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    I dont think the what you are seeing in the video are straps, I think that is part of the mechanism. When I replaced my tension straps, they go all the way from front to back as one piece. I dont recall any other straps, but I recall it being a little weird near the back. Is the loop just broken? Or did someone try and rig another strap? Maybe this picture helps, but I am sure you have seen it:

https://autotopsdirect.wordpress.com/tag/tension-strap/

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    Just figured out what you are seeing. Those are the elastic straps that hold the canvas top to the frame. They are not part of the opening mechanism See post #9 way down in the pictures.....

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...rogress-Thread