Thread: carsoft vs dis/inpa for mdk adaptation

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto

carsoft vs dis/inpa for mdk adaptation

ok. so I'm new here and been doing a ton of reading. I just Bought a 2000 528i with ms2tu because it had a "throttle body issue." The car is pretty cherry and the price was very discounted. mechanic who did dales transaction said it was throwing codes for bad throttle body -.I took him at his word and have a used one on way. CAR drives like a dream when not in emergency 1 or 2 mode which is intermittent.

After much reading, I have a better understanding of the potential issues with the throttle body and how one might remedy problem. I realize it may not even be throttle body could be a connector, harness etc. Unfortunately, said mechanic appears to have sprayed throttle excessively with some serious crap-- ton of residue--and I already have part on order. and the old throttle off...

So about the adaptation.....I have found clear instructions for doing so with inpa. But im wondering if carsoft or dis would do same. its seems unclear from my reading and the tables offered by the software producer. Has anyone out there used CArsoft or DIS..to install a used mdk on the ms2tu.

There is already a 6.5 interface in the trunk. I have a 20 pin to serial adapter but no software.

Im ok with computers..and ok with working on cars...but haven't really combined the two.. Feel like im jumping in to the deep end of the pool. I don't have an old laptop..but it seems like it cheaper to get an old laptop and pick up an older version....than go with any new version of software .

Thanks for any advice...

I've been doing reading but many of the threads about the capabilities of the software are several years old.

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto

similar q: win 10 , xp or 7

I am still reading and under the basic impression that DIS And INPA can do the adaptation of the mdk, Still not sure about carsoft, it is not on their website as a capability.

I was wondering if someone who has run inpa on both windows 10 and windows 8 or xp, could offer some comparison regarding which was easier to set up or more reliable. I own a e39 and really dont imagine i will need to be looking at others models so having the ability to look at more models is not a huge benefit to me. I am looking more for ease of getting up and running.

I was asking about carsoft because it just seems simpler to install and I presently do not have an computer to dedicate to this. SO if i am going to run inpa. I can just as easily buy an old used cheapo laptop or a new cheapo laptop. Apparently there is some genuine concern for battery life. Obviously a 5 year old battery may not be as good as a computer fresh off the shelf so i am inclined to go with windows 10.--but it seems to me the write ups on installing in windows 7 and xp install are easier than using windows 10.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    I have reset the MDK adaptations on M52TU engines several times. I don’t believe carsoft will do it.

I bought a clean windows 7 laptop, loaded inpa, & NCS, and use it as a dedicated coding computer. Installation went smoothly and I have only basic computer skills.

It’s as valuable to me as any other tool I own

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    thank you. just picked up an xp system tonight
    . getting started on it

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    Got inpa running and Cables recognizing car but when I ran through throttle adaptation outlined here:Ediabas/INPA reset adaption - new Throttle Body

car now runs terribly. I feel like I did everything exactly correct. I did it twice. But there is a rough idles and occasional Loud knocking so I shut car down. how long does it take to learn?adapt? doesn't sound right...

Throttle body is used off a wrecked 528. must have been working when it got hit...

no codes being thrown except when I disconnected maf sensor ... how long can you let it run an idle without damage? every so many seconds I get a large knock...makes me cringe...

Im trying to understand this....but I mean if I haven't adjusted the timing or chain, can the dme make anything interfere? sounds impossible....

read somewhere it can take a few drive cycles...?

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    Update

I think I was suffering from the old should quit an hour ago syndrome.

After a strong cup of coffee, I looked at car this am and found gaping loud, must have been an idiot not to notice leak from the booster check valve exhaust. The plastic check valve is cleanly severed--unless it clips together. Large knocking --metal on metal never a good sound at 1 am--was just the throttle body clapping.

duct taped that booster check valve together problem solved. New (used ) throttle body works. Car running great--feels like a driving machine.

So far I have $1650 in this baby including purchase, used computer, cables, used throttle .. seems like a steal. looking forward to putting some miles on it but feel like im gonna like this car.

Thanks for all the info here!

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Good stuff. I was going to ask whether you pre-loaded the circular elec connector to the Throttle Body (MDK), but if you noticed the other thread you would have seen that.

Where is the
    Booster check valve located?

The M52TU engine is great when all buttoned up...

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    Good stuff. I was going to ask whether you pre-loaded the circular elec connector to the Throttle Body (MDK), but if you noticed the other thread you would have seen that.

No I didn’t. But I did see it I just kind of forgot. But I sprayed the connectors and greased them. Fiddled gently a long while then it popped right in.

Where is the
    Booster check valve located?

I don’t know if it’s the booster check valve but it’s obviously a check valve and comes off the brake booster so I’m calling it that ( obvious once open) it looks like a y. Think it’s part of the vacuum. One side of it connects to the air intake.

The M52TU engine is great when all buttoned up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Just as a PSA, people should really stop using Carsoft on these cars, especially with the cheap cables sold on Ebay. I've seen too many times people try to reset the oil service light and cause all kinds of weird issues with their instrument clusters that require reloading a backup of the EEPROM and recoding to the car. It can sometimes mess up the mileage on the cluster as well. Stick to PA Soft if you really want to go with an inexpensive cable/software package that is easy to use, or INPA/NCS Expert if you don't mind it being a bit more complicated, yet more capable.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yep.

BTW what happened here was that your diag procedure actually reset fuel adaptations for the DME. Because of the huge vac leak, the trims had been set pretty rich I bet, as soon as you reset those, the engine was not happy and running real lean. Probably would have adapted its way out of it eventually. But resetting adaptations and having car run like crap is usually a good sign you got some leaks, (or, more rarely, a sensor measuring problem).
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)