Thread: HANS/Harness Question

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci

HANS/Harness Question

I am getting new harnesses and HANS this year and am deciding between the 6 point with 2" straps designed specifically for the HANS or just the standard 3" straps and using that with a HANS.

From what I have read the 3" straps work fine for people with a HANS and you just have to make sure they are in the proper position when tightening the belts. This is the direction I am leaning so that someone can drive it safely without a HANS device.

Thoughts?

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    My very non-professional opinion:

If you envision other folks driving your car without a HANS, then the 3" shoulder harness will be safer as it distributes the load across more of the shoulder/chest. With a HANS, the 2" belts are effectively distributed across the shoulders via the width of the HANS, which is about 3". The 2" straps just stay in the HANS a little better, but 3" will work.

However, if somebody else is driving your car, why not lend them your HANS?

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    I’ve tried both 2” and 3” shoulder straps with my HANS device. Effectively, there’s no difference.

I’ve heard people say 3” can ride up over the edges of the device, but that’s never happened to me over the last 7-8 years since I’ve started using a HANS. I could see it happening if maybe you’re doing lighting fast, Le Mans style driver changes. But if you take one second to position your straps before cinching them, I just don’t see how it could ever be a problem.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    2". It's just easier when doing your belts up.

My Cars
    Many
    The newer HANS have "ears" that keep the belts on your shoulders regardless of the width of the belt. If you have an older one (like me) you will want the 2" belt.

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    I would get the 2". IMO if you're going with a 6 point harness the car should never be driven by someone not wearing a HANS, so it makes more sense to buy the harness designed for that purpose. You can lend your HANS to another driver if necessary.
    Last edited by cohny; 02-06-2018 at 01:59 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    I’ve tried both 2” and 3” shoulder straps with my HANS device. Effectively, there’s no difference.

I’ve heard people say 3” can ride up over the edges of the device, but that’s never happened to me over the last 7-8 years since I’ve started using a HANS. I could see it happening if maybe you’re doing lighting fast, Le Mans style driver changes. But if you take one second to position your straps before cinching them, I just don’t see how it could ever be a problem.
    Great that’s what I was wondering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by cohny View Post
    I would get the 2". IMO if you're going with a 6 point harness the car should never be driven by someone not wearing a HANS, so it makes more sense to buy the harness designed for that purpose. You can lend your HANS to another driver if necessary.
    Appreciate the input but I don’t think it’s realistic to say that. Plenty of people out there with helmets not equipped with HANS anchors and driving with harnesses. I agree that it is much safer and why I choose to use a HANS for myself, but plenty of others do not.

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Normal 3 point belts are only 2 inches ...
    Last edited by jayjaya29; 02-06-2018 at 03:56 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    Normal 3 point belts are only 2 inches ...
    That’s is true but from what I have seen all of the 2” shoulder strap harnesses say “do not run without a HANS”.

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by MDGearhead View Post
    That’s is true but from what I have seen all of the 2” shoulder strap harnesses say “do not run without a HANS”.

My Schroth belt is 2" at the shoulders, then 3" at the chest to accommodate a HANS. From what I know these harnesses are fine to use without a HANS. I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing anything saying otherwise.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by mslevin View Post
    My Schroth belt is 2" at the shoulders, then 3" at the chest to accommodate a HANS. From what I know these harnesses are fine to use without a HANS. I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing anything saying otherwise.
    Looks to be brand specific. I didn’t see anything about not running a HANS with the Schroth harnesses but the OMP that I am looking at says HANS only with the 2”.

My Cars
    E36 M3 GTS2
    Based on your use case, go 3"

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    I couldn't find a direct answer in a quick skim, but the answer could be in this Schroth document somewhere (link).

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    My 3" straps work fine with my Hans Sport III, but when they expire next year i'll go with 2"ers to make it slightly less fiddly.