Thread: E31 LKM Coder - Update coding of LKM modules without DIS or NCS Expert

My Cars
    Made in Germany

Lightbulb E31 LKM Coder - Update coding of LKM modules without DIS or NCS Expert

E31 LKM Coder - Update coding of LKM modules without DIS or NCS Expert

E31 LKM Coder reads and writes coding from and to all E31 light control modules (LKM). The module coding is presented in a user-friendly interface with radio buttons to make changes. E31 LKM Coder does not require Ediabas or DIS, works with both serial and USB ADS interfaces and can run on modern 64-bit operating systems.

Download E31 LKM Coder 0.1 (113 kB)

E31 LKM Coder is freeware. If you paid for it you got cheated!

Minimum requirements

• Microsoft Windows XP or later
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (link) or later (Windows 8 and newer have this installed by default)
    • USB or serial ADS interface

If you find bugs or experience any problems with E31 LKM Coder, please let me know in this thread or contact me at .

Who is this tool for?

If you already have a working NCS Expert and NCS Dummy installation and know how to use it, E31 LKM Coder may not offer much benefits. However, the E31 LKM Coder user interface makes quick coding changes a lot easier and faster so it's still worthwhile having.

If you do not have NCS Expert, or do not have an older computer with real serial port for NCS Expert or get confused by the convoluted workflow of NCS Expert, E31 LKM Coder may be the solution. E31 LKM Coder does not have any of the hardware and operating system limitations that NCS Expert has. All you need is a Windows computer, an ADS interface and optionally a USB-to-serial adapter if you computer does not have a serial port.

Installation and usage

Download E31 LKM Coder and extract the contents of the downloaded archive to a local folder on your hard disk. Double-click E31LkmCoder.exe to start the application.

Uninstall is as simple as removing the extracted files from your hard disk.

By default E31 LKM Coder is set to detect the COM port automatically. You do not need to change this setting unless you have many COM ports in your system and do not want to lose time by probing each port. E31 LKM Coder can only detect the port when the ADS interface is connected to both the computer and the vehicle, and the ignition is switched on.

Use the "Download Coding" button to read the coding data from the light control module (LKM). Next make the desired changes with the radio buttons in the user interface. Finally use the "Upload Coding" button to write the changes back to the LKM module.

Downloading and uploading coding takes just seconds.

The down arrows on the buttons can be used to export and import the coding to and from a nettodata trace file for use with NCS Dummy. Since all useful LKM coding features are exposed via the E31 LKM Coder user interface, this may not be very useful but I still recommend to at least do it the first time a module is read to have a backup of the original coding.

After coding the LKM module it is recommended to switch off the ignition for approximately 10 seconds.

Compared to modern BMW vehicles the E31 LKM does not offer much coding functionality. If you do not see a feature in the E31 LKM Coder user interface, it cannot be achieved through coding...

PS: You may also want to check out E31 EKM Coder and E31 GM Coder.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    Looking forward to giving this a shot with my LKM.
    Have rear fog holders/bulbs, and dash button to install so .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    Worked like a charm for me. Euro coding complete - it took longer to plug the laptop into the car than it did to recode the LKM!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk