Thread: BMW 5 series REMOTE LOCK issue

My Cars
    1998 BMW 520i Sedan

BMW 5 series REMOTE LOCK issue

First of all, hello everyone, i'm new here and i'm glad to be part of this community
    So, the problem. I have 1998 BMW 520i sedan and my remote lock doesn't work at all. Actually i can't remember the last time it was working
    so i've tried troubleshoot the problem and i found nothing.
    -When car is locked manually (sticking key into door) - fuel door is locked too
    -53 fuse is working
    -I can't program the key (i've tried all the different procedures and noting happened, all i get is red light on key blinking and nothing else)

So, I think this isn't key fobs problem, i has to be something wrong with the car.

Did someone encountered with this problem and have any suggestions for this nonsence that i'm having

btw. I've searched alot of threats with similar problems and didn't find anything useful for me.

Thank You for help (in advance )

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Sounds like you've already seen this thread but I'll post the link anyway.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...tion-Procedure

In the meantime, you will probably get better assistance from others here who know more about the issue.

Good luck and welcome to Bimmerforums.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 520i Sedan
    Thanks for link but that doesn't help me :/
    btw. i have old style key (if that helps).

My Cars
    1998 BMW 520i Sedan
    So no one knows anything? :/

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Have you determined which type of keyless entry system you have? Do you have the IR (infrared) or the RF (radio frequency) system?

You wrote... "Actually i can't remember the last time it was working" ...does that mean it DID work at one point but then stopped? Or has it never worked?

If you've decoded your VIN...you can tell which system you have (IR or RF). And what frequency does your keyless entry system operate on (if you have the RF type)...315 MHz or 433 MHz? And do you have the original key/remote that used to work correctly? If not, and you have a replacement key...is it the correct type for the system you have (key has to match the same RF or IR)?

Do you have another BMW or a friend or someone else that has an e38/e39/e46/e53 BMW? If you do, you can quickly rule out if the issue is your key or on the car's side. Just program your remote to their car (follow the instructions at the link to the other thread above). If your key works to lock/unlock & arm/disarm their car...then nothing is wrong with the key.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    Alpina B10
    Check if the wiring that runs from the boot lid into the body (in rubber concertina) is frayed or broken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If the key won't initialize with the buttons on the remote yet the car locks all the locks manually it's the remote key. If you knew somebody who had another BMW with the same kind of key and their remote worked for there car you could try to initialize it to your car if it work then you would know it was the key for sure. That's why techs keep customer keys that have a bad ews chip in them but the locking unlocking part still good. I recently cut my key apart and initialized the circuit board to my car. I think it has to to with either worn micro switches or the the way the buttons bush down on the micro switch

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Just an FYI...it doesn't have to be the "same type" of key. You can program any e38/e39/e46/e53 remote key (new or old style) to another e38/e39/e46/e53 BMW as long as the remote key uses the same RF (radio frequency)...which is 315 MHz in North America and 433 MHz in Europe.

Just use one of the car's keys in the ignition first by turning to KL R (ignition position 1) then off/out...(it doesn't even have to be a remote key) then follow the initialization sequence below. Again, any remote that has a working battery can be programmed to lock/unlock and arm/disarm another BMW of the same generation (old & new style remotes).

Also...all the steps need to be followed as outlined...failure to follow the specific sequence will result in programming failiure. For example, some people forget to follow the instructions that ALL doors must be closed...ALL doors must be unlocked etc.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)