Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Vibration persist after replacing engine and transmission mounts

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    I still couldnt get it rid off this,"22 functioIn inlet camshaft control bank 2" error, but I think I'm getting close to resolution.
    Clearly it's related to the timing wheel being off a few degrees, no idea why. When engine in TDC it nicely aligns with timing cover hole, but anyway many others had the same issue.
    E39 guys fixing it with manually turning the timing wheel, so I was trying to do the same.
    The aim is getting the "adaptation angle crankshaft sensor gear" for bank 2 between -10 & +10 degree. Optimally it should be at zero I guess, but error message and SES light comes on when it's over that range. Tried today three times while manually adjusting the wheel, turning it a few mms. Managed to get so far -20, +12 and -12
    I'm not sure where to check this value in INPA, but my ODB tool shows it for all cylinders, as you can see value is below threshold for bank 1 but not for bank 2:
    DSC06923 12.jpg

And of course the biggest irony of all that the engine is running smoothly, look at these roughness values:

Anyway, not giving it up yet, making another round next week. I'm lucky it's bank 2, takes 30 minutes to adjust it, would be a pain on bank 1!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by georgebest; 05-02-2018 at 09:07 PM.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Just reporting back on this issue.
    I still couldnt fix the error message "22 function inlet camshaft control bank 2", but the car is running otherwise fine. Though it doesnt pull as it used to at low RPM, some people are saying that VANOS gets disabled when this error message comes up. It really feels that way, it behaves like a turbo engine, starting to pull crazy around 4000RPM only. Also quite bad MPG around 12.
    Anyway, the issue has to be the position of the timing wheel. Using my timing tools the best I could get for the adaptation angle was +7 degree. Apparently it should be below 5 degrees for the error to disappear. I put in a new VANOS unit, new solenoid and even a new timing wheel... it is like a new engine now
    Next one will be my 9th attempt to fix it, I can take this engine apart blindfolded, memorized all the torques and sequences. One mm movement on the timing wheel is enough to get it out of the range, my tools easily let such movement happen. Maybe there is a reason they were cheap on Ebay
    No happy ending yet, though I kind of enjoy working on it so no complaints.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Prod 4/2000
    Stay after it George... watching with interest as the process continues. You have really covered all points.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldroller View Post
    Stay after it George... watching with interest as the process continues. You have really covered all points.
    It is a matter of pride at this point, I cant have this left unfixed

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Problem solved!
    Retimed the engine and no more error codes or SES light!
    This is the first time since I own this car (been 9, very eventful months) that I have no DME error codes. Not only that but finally VANOS is working and it pulls like a train!
    VANOS really makes wonders to this engine, last week when VANOS was still disabled I was averaging 12MPG. Yesterday with VANOS working I got 23.7 MPG (mostly highway with some light city). This is like a good looking Prius!
    I'm almost certain that my VANOS unit in bank2 was defective, after replacing it and retiming all issues went away.
    I still have some friction noise coming from bank2, discussing it in another thread.

Would like to say thanks for all of you who helped me do the timing chain guide upgrade, I was totally clueless when i jumped into it! If ever in Philly will buy you lunch.

And for now on my car will need only oil change in every 5K miles and no other issues, right guys? )

My Cars
    2001 740iL Prod 4/2000
    Now on to the other stuff driving you nuts!
    Excellent resolution, George.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678