Thread: Window Motor Issue

My Cars
    325IS

Window Motor Issue

Last week I installed a used window motor(e36). Checked it out before install. It worked. After install, it worked just fine. Then a day or 2 later,window would not go down. Just stuck at top. So, left it alone till this morning. I was sitting at a light and decided to remove the smaller of the two connectors(the door panel is still off, I have access to window motor). Then I push the window button and the window goes down and again up with only the larger connector attached and the smaller one off. This should not happen. One I assume is to make the window go up and one to make it go down. Why would this be the case?
    Went to car a short while ago and with both connectors attached window is again going up and down. I am confused. Help me make sense.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Larger wires are for power, smaller are a revolution sensor so the controller knows when you've hit top or bottom.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    325IS
    So, the window motor is working fine. I just need to adjust that little stop mechanism. thanks.

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Larger wires are for power, smaller are a revolution sensor so the controller knows when you've hit top or bottom.
    I just finished an adventure with the revolution counter.

Turns out it turns 10 revolutions before stopping. However, if it was 10 Down the count resets after any amount of Up and you can do 10 more Down... But if it was 10 Up then that's a hard limit that can't be crossed.
    This explains why twice I fought the regulator and clips back in only to find I was hitting Up hard limit at 20% Up, I had somehow done 10 Up when bench-testing the motor.

So I ran the motor 10 Down, then reassembled it to the regulator. I wood-screwed the regulator body and arm-that-should-not-move to a 2x4 and hooked the connectors back up to confirm I could run all the way Up and then back Down to 20% Up (approximately the sweet spot to get those damn clips in). Leaving the connectors plugged in, I got rid of the 2x4 and fought the whole thing back into my coupe's driver door.

Also, I cheated and cut the inner door panel an extra inch of clearance for pliers to get the forward clip in. Will post a pic later.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Not sure your understanding of the revolution sensor is the same. The controller simply knows if the motor is spinning or not, so that it can kill power.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe you can post detailed video of your problem.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".