Thread: Electronic throttle to cable conversion on an E39 M5

My Cars
    e39 m5, 72 duster

Electronic throttle to cable conversion on an E39 M5

My turbo LS M5 has been up and running for a year or so now. I am currently using the stock throttle pedal and an Ls3 throttle body. It works and the car drives alright but the throttle tuning is a nightmare. Once I get it working right when its warm, the cold start is awful and vise versa. I am tired of it and ready to go to a cable throttle. I have not taken my car apart yet as I don't want to break anything but I did go to the junkyard to steal a pedal. I cut out all the carpet around the floor mount and I cannot figure out how the pedal gets removed. I cannot find anything good online that explains it well either. Aside from that, all three pedal mounts seem to have the same cast aluminum firewall piece where everything mounts to. Will my car have the pivot shaft for the manual throttle pedal already on it? I cannot change mine out as I have a lot of hours into making brackets that allow an aftermarket clutch master to work with the stock pedal switches. Re doing that is just not something I am willing to do. Does anyone have any input or ideas? I think worst case I will get a pedal and fab up a pivot for it but I would rather not. All ideas welcome, just figured I would pick your guys brains before I get too far into this.

-Joe
    Last edited by get dustd; 01-31-2018 at 11:43 AM.

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    Bump. Think there's anybody willing to build a custom TAC module (or reprogram one) for these pedals?

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Would it be feasible to use the BMW dbw pedal to manipulate the potentiometer from a LS3 dbw pedal? Seems like you could gut a spare BMW pedal and work in the GM electronics. Maybe you could build a bracket to mount the LS3 pedal assembly. Hate to see you have to go DBC just to get a consistent idle.

S.F.

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    Quote Originally Posted by StolenFox View Post
    Would it be feasible to use the BMW dbw pedal to manipulate the potentiometer from a LS3 dbw pedal? Seems like you could gut a spare BMW pedal and work in the GM electronics. Maybe you could build a bracket to mount the LS3 pedal assembly. Hate to see you have to go DBC just to get a consistent idle.

S.F.

Possibly? Problem is that the GM pedal uses 3 pots, not 1 like the BMW pedal does. maybe we can get a DBW GM pedal, take it apart, and see if we can move the insides into a BMW pedal assembly?