Thread: m50nv FPR to manifold connector

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)

m50nv FPR to manifold connector

Here's a question specifically for m50 non-vanos owners (others can chime in, of course): has anyone found a way to replace the vacuum connector that goes from the FPR to the intake manifold? part # is 11611730266; I've been trying to find one since I got the car, and it's always NLA... It's part #9 in this diagram:

jui.png

As you might know, they're a b*tch to remove in one piece, the little prong is designed for one-time use, I guess, and I'd like to change the little o-ring... According to realoem, it's basically just for '91 and early '92 cars (lucky me! ), and the superseding part (11611735800, I assume just for engines with vanos?) looks waaaay different; the connection port on these manifolds is also different.

s-l1600.jpg

Sooo... seems like the only options are: A) Live with a perpetual vacuum leak, or B) Pray to the Bavarian Iron gods and hope the connector can be removed without a snafu? (or C) if the prong breaks, pray to the aforementioned gods that the connector won't blow out of place while the car is running, thus leading to an even major snafu???) Any other idea?

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    No, I haven't. When I was just replacing 'everything' I never came across that part and ended up just replacing the hose. BTW my retaining prong is not broken (I fussed about with the hose a lot and it stayed in and also didn't break ). So if you're worried about it breaking like the breather retaining prong often does, then fear not, it seems a sturdier piece.

When I bought my car the crankcase fitting was broken. PO (a mech) just put wire through the manifold tab and wrapped it around the plastic connector - it's the o-ring that does the sealing, any method to keep it in place will do.
    Last edited by fo3; 02-01-2018 at 04:33 AM.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Quote Originally Posted by fo3 View Post
    No, I haven't. When I was just replacing 'everything' I never came across that part and ended up just replacing the hose. BTW my retaining prong is not broken (I fussed about with the hose a lot and it stayed in and also didn't break ). So if you're worried about it breaking like the breather retaining prong often does, then fear not, it seems a sturdier piece.

When I bought my car the crankcase fitting was broken. PO (a mech) just put wire through the manifold tab and wrapped it around the plastic connector - it's the o-ring that does the sealing, any method to keep it in place will do.
    Hi, thanks for the input. Mine isn't broken either, and I also settled for just replacing the hose; I'll try messing around with the connector, and if it breaks, your idea sounds like a good option.

It's seems so odd that you can still find the rest of the vacuum connectors (AFAIK), but just that one is NLA... It's not like I'm looking for a cassette holder lid in Karmesinrot!

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)

Update!!! :D

Followed your advice and went on to remove the connector... Took a couple of tries and moving around, but finally managed to remove it in one piece!!! The O-ring was so flat that the connector was able to be moved back and forth with no effort, held in place just by the prong; now it feels unbelievable secure!

I know it's just a tiny connector, but man, that little bugger was in the back of my OCD mind since I got the car; I feel like I should have a celebratory beer now and go watch Ronin...

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Bit of a bump here but I need to revisit this little bugger of a connector.
    Last month was a bit of a celebration as I finally got around to replacing the power steering lines and voila, my car was now totally leak free (a bit of weeping from the sump and trans sump, but no drips finally)

I was shining a torch around to check the PS hose and look for any new leaks and I noticed some oil and dirt around the FPR to manifold connector Looks like that o ring I pulled from my o ring box wasn't quite the right size or something like that.
    I gave it some serious attempts to pull off this unobtainium bit of plastic just now but it wasn't coming off as easy as it did least time. Admittedly my engine bay and intake was in various states of dis-assembly last time I succesfully tried. This time I have everything in running order instead, was also having no luck even getting a good view of the retaining pong with even a mirror and lighting.

How did you get yours off? Was it on a cold motor in a fully assembled state? Did you get good enough access just with hands in from the back and side of the manifold or did you have to go underneath the car?

I fear I might have to strip things down and remove t/b and inlet manifold (replacing more gaskets and lines) just to avoid breaking this unobtainium $3 plastic part as I've completely forgotten how to do it safely by feel and I just can't see anything from up top.
    Last edited by fo3; 04-18-2019 at 05:58 AM.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Yup, cold motor, fully assembled; if I remember correctly, I did it by feel, and used a small flathead screwdriver on the front side under the manifold to unsnap the barbed end of the prong while gently pulling the connector out with my hand. As I said previously, it took a couple of tries; wish they re-stocked this part, what's the solution if you break it? getting a vanos manifold???

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Going to try using stiff plastic (like a cable tie), or thin flexible metal to attack it by feel from the outside, like the blue line in this pic. Is that the side you pried? There's some movement in the connector so hopefully I can push it in enough to get something flexible and thin under the hook of the prong. E: it's like a blind, oily, simple lock picking exercise

fpr.jpg
    I know if you press them in the green arrow area that's when they break. I broke my crankcase vent connector 2 years ago when new to BMW while fumbling around that way.

If it doesn't look like it's coming off I'll have a search to see if I already have inlet manifold gaskets/rings for the head the throttle body (I probably do) and I'll take the whole manifold off so I can do it while I can see it.

If I break the prong I'll just find a vaper with some 26G nichrome wire and string it up - but it's impossible to wire it up with the manifold on anyway.
    Last edited by fo3; 04-18-2019 at 08:07 AM.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Yeah, I did it from that side. What I think I did is push the barbed end up with the screwdriver, and then push in; as you said, the difficult part is you have to do it by feel.

If the connector breaks, another last resort scenario could be to tap a brass fitting in its place, but we shouldn't have to come to that in the first place…