Thread: It's kinda sad, really

My Cars
    2009 MB CL63 AMG

It's kinda sad, really

Thinking of the E31 today and how much information I used to know is now, well, forgotten. It all started back in the late 1990s with Paul Michael Brown's hand-assembled mailing list, grew into Roadfly, and then finally migrated to Bimmerforums. A very small group of guys (and a few women) that ultimately grew into hundreds if not thousands of followers. It's nice to see the E31 is getting some newfound respect and that this community continues to thrive.

And yup, I'm still wrenching my own:

M156 Camshaft.jpg

If you think you guys have it bad with intake manifold gaskets and EMLs, AMG's first attempt at a clean-sheet design in the M156 resulted in weak head bolts. Fun!

Mark in SBA

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark out West View Post
    Thinking of the E31 today and how much information I used to know is now, well, forgotten. It all started back in the late 1990s with Paul Michael Brown's hand-assembled mailing list, grew into Roadfly, and then finally migrated to Bimmerforums. A very small group of guys (and a few women) that ultimately grew into hundreds if not thousands of followers. It's nice to see the E31 is getting some newfound respect and that this community continues to thrive.

And yup, I'm still wrenching my own:

M156 Camshaft.jpg

If you think you guys have it bad with intake manifold gaskets and EMLs, AMG's first attempt at a clean-sheet design in the M156 resulted in weak head bolts. Fun!

Mark in SBA
    Hi Mark, I remember the time back in the early 2000s when you crossed over to the dark side, I too myself had a few AMGs since then, loved the power but always missed the E31....
    My solution was: buy an 850ci and get 600 HP out of it All is not lost!

My Cars
    1995 840Ci, 2013 X5
    Hey stranger. Welcome back! Your name still pops up here from time to time. Someone dredged up this gem a few months ago:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...mw-e31-q-amp-a

I was trying to find one of your roadfly posts on why the seats forget their polarity and their controls reverse. Unfortunately, nobody seems to be able to search roadfly any more. Lots of knowledge lost. Hope you've been well.

Brett
    Last edited by ltbrett; 01-31-2018 at 12:50 AM.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    HI Mark! It has been amazing to see the evolution of the E31 group. I only believe that when the new 8 finally arrives, interest will continue to swell for the E31. I recently went back to Roadfly to look for something, and it was...well...pretty much dead. Welcome back, and glad to see you are still getting those knuckles dirty! The best way to truly know an E31 is to dive in head first, and of course you are one of the ones who truly knows that. Glad to see you.
    Last edited by rogbmw; 01-31-2018 at 09:20 AM.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    Hi Mark! Nice to hear from you after so long. I didn’t know you crossed over....

Visit more often...your expertise is always welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    HI Mark! The best way to truly know an E31 is to dive in head first, and of course you are one of the ones who truly knows that. Glad to see you.
    Ditto, I remember those RoadFly days. That's how I discovered the E31.....a Wrenchfest in Irvine, CA that was announced on RF.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    1994 850CSi #125
    Quote Originally Posted by ltbrett View Post
    Hey stranger. Welcome back! Your name still pops up here from time to time. Someone dredged up this gem a few months ago:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...mw-e31-q-amp-a

I was trying to find one of your roadfly posts on why the seats forget their polarity and their controls reverse. Unfortunately, nobody seems to be able to search roadfly any more. Lots of knowledge lost. Hope you've been well.

Brett
    Itbrett,

I saw this happen to a friend's 850 recently. We noticed that right after connecting with DIS/INPA and clearing the errors for all modules, he restarted the car and the seat polarity problem disappeared!!! Give it a try and let me know if you have a similar outcome.
    Taylor in Carlsbad

P=(p x v3 x Cd x A)/2