Thread: OEM Alarm Wiring, Cheap Buzzer Mod

My Cars
    08 X3

OEM Alarm Wiring, Cheap Buzzer Mod

I am trying to add the beep for unlock/lock on the X3 using cheap piezo buzzers. This same mod was carried out by many on the E46 side. Simple task if you can program the two functions as well.

Well I did the programming part, did the wiring part. But my problem is that the buzzers are constantly going off. No matter if the car is locked or not. Based on the ISTA wiring for the OEM alarm plug, I should be connecting my positive of the buzzer to the black/voilet (pin 5), and my negative of buzzer to brown (pin 4). See image below for wiring diagram.

The options I activated are as follows in the GM5.

QUIT_AKUST_ENTSCH : alarm beep on unlock (two beeps)
    QUIT_AKUST_SCHAERF : alarm beep on lock (one beep)
    QUIT_OPT_ENTSCH : optical Acknowledge remote un-locking (two flashes)
    QUIT_OPT_SCHAERF : optical Acknowledge remote locking (one flash)
    DWA

Does anyone have more information or guidance on what I might be doing wrong here? Could it be that the hood switch is perhaps busted making the alarm constantly sound?

alarm.PNG

I remember talking to a tech when he was hooking up a trailer hitch harness. Their is a distinct way BMW wires things different from the world. Wire color should be confirmed by the BMW schematic. Don't assume black is negative. If you think it might be the hood switch, use your ability to make it in the always shut contact position. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dano1200r; 01-30-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    08 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by dano1200r View Post
    I remember talking to a tech when he was hooking up a trailer hitch harness. Their is a distinct way BMW wires things different from the world. Wire color should be confirmed by the BMW schematic. Don't assume black is negative. If you think it might be the hood switch, use your ability to make it in the always shut contact position. Good luck.

Thanks for the input, but did you look at the diagram or read my post?

The red and black I am referring to are from the buzzer which is very standard.

Yes, but as I stated, you don't have the BMW schematic. When you change anything on the BMW electric system, the resistance must be carefully matched. The drain must be correct. But, my advice is free, so what do I know. Good luck.

Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    08 X3
    Yes, but as I stated, you don't have the BMW schematic. When you change anything on the BMW electric system, the resistance must be carefully matched. The drain must be correct. But, my advice is free, so what do I know. Good luck.

What is the diagram but an attached schematics wiring layout for the GM5 and Horn plug straight from the ISTA software. Not sure if your not familiar with ISTA but its the OEM diagnostics tool.

See this here, same principal only done on a E46.
    http://www.diymybmw.com/e46/5-altern...for-lock-beep/

Quote Originally Posted by freebo86 View Post
    What is the diagram but an attached schematics wiring layout for the GM5 and Horn plug straight from the ISTA software. Not sure if your not familiar with ISTA but its the OEM diagnostics tool.

See this here, same principal only done on a E46.
    http://www.diymybmw.com/e46/5-altern...for-lock-beep/
    So Sensei, have you fixed your electrical problem? What was the solution?

Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    08 X3
    So Sensei, have you fixed your electrical problem? What was the solution?

Morning friend, have not had a chance to tinker around more but did some research and I think I may have the answer & solution what is going on.

Since the black/voilet (pin 5), and my negative of buzzer to brown (pin 4) are in fact the pinouts I want, I believe the reason the buzzer is going off constantly is because the alarm is actually tripped. Why is the alarm tripped you ask? Well I believe my hood switch is actually faulty that is constantly tripping the alarm. And from reading online its very common for these to go bad.

What I will do is, 1) unplug the hood sensor switch to see if this remedies the solution 2) Also what I can do is activate the flashers to flash on an alarm (this is currently disabled) if this is still going off with the hood switch connected that clearly the issue is the hood switch since the alarm is actually tripped and going off. Just I had no way off previously knowing this since the alarm feature was disabled and so was the visual indications of an alarm being tripped.

But tracing back the wiring diagrams for both the X3 and E46, and the X3 being a mutant vehicle of the E46 the wiring is pretty similar between the two. See both wiring schematics. I understood your resistivity concerns however this is much simpler than this. Now lets say I was trying to tap into the blinker circuits to perform some other 3rd party task this is where it could get very tricky and dirty since the bulb checking circuits look for specific resistances on the ends to ensure bulb functionality, but in my case this being a buzzer once tripped just sends a 12V signal to the outputs as indicated.

Take a look at the circuits, curious to hear your thoughts or ideas on my approach. Thanks.

X3
    X3.png

E46
    E46.png

Thanks for the update.
    I think bypassing the hood switch is necessary, as maybe checking the others, if any are as accessible as the hood.
    Schematic wise, I will wait, noticing it going into the gpu, which might see what you are doing, setting off the alarm.
    Good luck.

Using Tapatalk

Does your x3 have the pea sized red alarm indicator on the rear view mirror? If so, what is it doing?

Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    08 X3
    Thanks for the update.
    I think bypassing the hood switch is necessary, as maybe checking the others, if any are as accessible as the hood.
    Schematic wise, I will wait, noticing it going into the gpu, which might see what you are doing, setting off the alarm.
    Good luck.

The other modules, like tilt etc are not installed in the vehicle.

Does your x3 have the pea sized red alarm indicator on the rear view mirror? If so, what is it doing?

Yes I do have the clown nose blinker. Typically when locked it flashes red every 2-3seconds? But at times i noticed it also flashing a bit quicker..

IIRC, when it changes to the fast blink, an alarm is tripping.
    So, I would isolate each thing which could set off the alarm. A bad switch on my rear hatch caused my vehicle to do very strange things. It was under warranty, and the dealer changed the remote antenna along with a couple of thousand dollars of other covered work, yet the problem remained. Why that made sense to a BMW tech, I don't know. And they got paid.

I isolated it to the lift gate switch, which had deteriorated causing intermittent current draws, and not only setting off the alarm, but if I would use the fob to unlock, 1 of a few weird things happened. The post is there to read by clicking on my history.
    Side note, since you are using a different schematic, can you swing by a dealer and see if it is the same as the x3?
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    08 X3
    IIRC, when it changes to the fast blink, an alarm is tripping.
    So, I would isolate each thing which could set off the alarm. A bad switch on my rear hatch caused my vehicle to do very strange things. It was under warranty, and the dealer changed the remote antenna along with a couple of thousand dollars of other covered work, yet the problem remained. Why that made sense to a BMW tech, I don't know. And they got paid.

I isolated it to the lift gate switch, which had deteriorated causing intermittent current draws, and not only setting off the alarm, but if I would use the fob to unlock, 1 of a few weird things happened. The post is there to read by clicking on my history.
    Side note, since you are using a different schematic, can you swing by a dealer and see if it is the same as the x3?
    What do you mean since I am using a different schematic? The schematic I have up there is for the X3, for my actual year, straight from ISTA (dealer diagnostic) software.

Quote Originally Posted by freebo86 View Post
    What do you mean since I am using a different schematic? The schematic I have up there is for the X3, for my actual year, straight from ISTA (dealer diagnostic) software.
    Thought you were using e46?
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    08 X3
    Thought you were using e46?
    Look on post #7. There is two schematics there, one corresponds to the E46 wiring and the other is X3 wiring. This is both from ISTA, I am able to find schematics for any BMW car really so I did that to compare the wiring between the two and its basically the same thing with slight changes in color codes for wires.