Thread: Car feels a bit unstable at speed

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i

Car feels a bit unstable at speed

Hey Guys,

I recently replaced my front control arms, and lower steering U joint/coupling, car was taken to get aligned afterwards, but I have noticed it feels somewhat unstable now.

At lower speeds under hard cornering it seems more or less ok, but at 70 plus, I had the DSC come on a couple of times exiting the freeway on a long swooping curve. This was on my way to work, and I had taken this off ramp many times over the years, so DSC coming on at this speed was quite alarming.

I spoke to my Mechanic a bit about this (He is also a buddy of mine), he said everything seemed pretty solid when they checked before putting the wheels together and sending it for alignment.

The car currently is running:

Meyle HD front control arms with all new bushings
    Bilstein Sports all around
    H&R sport springs
    IE Polyurethane subframe bushings
    IE polyurethane trail arm bushings
    Diff mound was replaced within the last 2 years with OEM rubber one
    The one area I had not done much in the terms of upgrades has been the Sway bars. My initial hunch is that the sway bar bushings are gone and or in bad shape. I had noticed in the last year the rear end was not as planted or solid as it was previously. The Subframe bushings still seem to be in ok shape, they are about 5 years old now.

Alignment specs are as follows:

Front:

Caster:

Left - (+6.95)
    right - (+7.29)

Camber:

left - (-1.92)
    right - (-1.67)

Toe:

left - (+0.08)
    right - (+0.08)

REAR:

Camber:
    Left - (-3.13)
    Right (-3.17)

Toe:

left - (0.07)
    Right - (0.06)

I should point out one other thing, I am running the shocks + springs from an M roadie, also have front e36 M3 spindles + brakes etc.

But that has been on the car for sometime, just the front control arms and lower steering bits were replaced, as well as all new brakes (rotors + pads) all around and SS brake lines.
    Last edited by Luftwaffe1O1; 01-29-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    z3
    Your tires ok? When I replaced my wheels/tires recently, I was shocked at how worn the insides were while the outside shoulder looked fine... lots of camber on these cars... you mention most other stuff but not tires, though I imagine mechanic would have noticed

LCA's torqued when car on level ground?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Your tires ok? When I replaced my wheels/tires recently, I was shocked at how worn the insides were while the outside shoulder looked fine... lots of camber on these cars... you mention most other stuff but not tires, though I imagine mechanic would have noticed

LCA's torqued when car on level ground?
    Hahaha man I was about to edit my post to update about the tires, as I realized I forgot to mention that.

So rears are about 1000 miles old, replaced them in late November. Bridgestone Potenza RE760. When I got the car back from mechanic/alignment shop, I figured maybe the fronts are a bit worn, and they were on the inside, so I JUST replaced them with brand spanking new Bridgestone Potenza RE760s on Thursday. Car still kept being squirly.

Tire setup is 235/40/18 front 255/35/18 rear, wheels are stock Z4 M wheels, which is 18x8 front 18x9 rear.

- - - Updated - - -

And LCAs were torqued down with car level on the ground.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    Hahaha man I was about to edit my post to update about the tires, as I realized I forgot to mention that.

So rears are about 1000 miles old, replaced them in late November. Bridgestone Potenza RE760. When I got the car back from mechanic/alignment shop, I figured maybe the fronts are a bit worn, and they were on the inside, so I JUST replaced them with brand spanking new Bridgestone Potenza RE760s on Thursday. Car still kept being squirly.

Tire setup is 235/40/18 front 255/35/18 rear, wheels are stock Z4 M wheels, which is 18x8 front 18x9 rear.

- - - Updated - - -

Brand new tires need a few hundred miles to break in, can feel "greasy" for a time.
    ZZZING 2000 Z3 2.3 Oxford Green Beige/Black Sharked, StrongStrut , Whalen Knob, LeatherZ, M upper shock mounts, Koni Sport Shocks, SSR Competition Wheels, HIR bulbs, Oxford Green Hardtop

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZZING View Post
    Brand new tires need a few hundred miles to break in, can feel "greasy" for a time.
    Even on old tires it was doing the same thing, and its been about 300 miles now since Thursday, still doing the same thing~

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    If those toe specs are in degrees your total toe in .16. That's just barely within the factory spec.

Total Toe should be 18 +/- 8 arc minutes.
    According to Google this translates to .16 to .43 degrees of total toe in.

My understanding is that the rubber bushings compress at speed (due to the increased load) and this adds unwanted toe out. Toe out causes the car to feel more twitchy.

BTW, it's easy to do your own alignments on these cars with a set of toe plates because there is only one adjustment.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    If those toe specs are in degrees your total toe in .16. That's just barely within the factory spec.

Total Toe should be 18 +/- 8 arc minutes.
    According to Google this translates to .16 to .43 degrees of total toe in.

My understanding is that the rubber bushings compress at speed (due to the increased load) and this adds unwanted toe out. Toe out causes the car to feel more twitchy.

BTW, it's easy to do your own alignments on these cars with a set of toe plates because there is only one adjustment.
    Is that toe in? I was under impression positive values are out negative are in? I could be wrong, values prior to alignment were:

Front left (-0.20)
    Front Right (-0.10)
    Total (-0.30)

With new values as seen above.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    I was quite wrong, the negative values are out, positive in.

The high toe out was due to suspension having been replaced, I am not sure what it was prior to the work being done.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I was quite wrong, the negative values are out, positive in.

The high toe out was due to suspension having been replaced, I am not sure what it was prior to the work being done.
    My car had 0 toe in and felt quite nervous and twitchy over 60. I set it in the middle of the factory spec and the car feels much more stable at higher speeds.

My point is that since your car is set to the minimum spec for toe in, you may want to increase the toe in while staying within the factory spec range.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Mine is very susceptible to tramlining, scary in the rain, always at the same worn spot on highway(truck ruts)

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    What are your tire pressures set at? During our last cold snap in the single digits, I adjusted my tire pressures accordingly. When it heated up drastically, my tires were a bit overinflated and the car felt a little squirly at speed. I brought them back in range, and the feeling disappeared.

I use a TPMS system that continually monitors temperature and pressure of each tire, and it's crazy how different the ambient temp makes, especially in low profile tires.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Did you installed the control arms yourself?

I hope the toe alignment addresses the issue. But in case that wan't the issue, also verify the torque applied to nuts/bolt when you installed the new control arms. As strange as it may sound, a bit of under-torqued nuts can actually do that in higher speed also. - I know this because I've made that mistake before by skipping torque wrench once. And that wasn't fun.
    Last edited by nevan; 01-30-2018 at 02:23 PM.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by nevan View Post
    Did you installed the control arms yourself?

I hope the toe alignment addresses the issue. But in case that wan't the issue, also verify the torque applied to nuts/bolt when you installed the new control arms. As strange as it may sound, a bit of under-torqued nuts can actually do that in higher speed also. - I know this because I've made that mistake before by skipping torque wrench once. And that wasn't fun.
    I did not do the work myself, was done at a shop. Oddly enough, today the car felt more stable, not sure what the deal is, still feels a bit more wobbly at turns, I am really leaning to worn out sway bar endlinks/bushings.

I also had a tire go flat on me at work today, so that was fun.

My Cars
    2000 Z-3 2.5
    I had that happen to me on a brand new set of tires.

The tire grooves love the rain grooves and it feels strange. My head is straight while the car shimmies.

I replaced the tire brand and the problem was gone.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksheep View Post
    I had that happen to me on a brand new set of tires.

The tire grooves love the rain grooves and it feels strange. My head is straight while the car shimmies.

I replaced the tire brand and the problem was gone.
    Pretty sure its not the tires, old set and new set same thing.

In any case, this is a bit of a necro, but a quick update, had it at the shop for a bit, intermittently the ABS/Wheelspeed sensor was apparently throwing codes. As a precaution I made sure all the sway bar endlinks/bushings are new as well.

Car went to alignment etc, everything checked out ok. Got it back recently, and again on not very aggressive turns, ABS/Traction gets triggered.

When this problem started, both front control arms, and had all brake pads and rotors also replaced, along with SS brake lines.

Not sure really what it can be now, checked all suspension components, everything seems solid, alignment specs were fine etc.

Could the battery going bad cause any of these issues?

Could improper brake bleeding/install cause ABS/DSC issues?

I will check brake fluid level when I get home, not sure if fluid being low or high might cause some issues.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Most likely the wheel speed sensors. Who ever pulled the code and found them throwing codes, should have been able to tell which wheel(s) is/are the problem. Cleaning or replacing the defective sensor(s) should fix the problem.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Get the steering angle sensor calibrated.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i

- - - Updated - - -

I just gotta say I love those wheels! I had them on my silver Z3 and I think they are the best looking wheels for that car. Had they fit on my Z3M, I'd have kept them.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Get the steering angle sensor calibrated.
    These guys told me it was calibrated when they replaced the steering U joint and control arms.

Most likely the wheel speed sensors. Who ever pulled the code and found them throwing codes, should have been able to tell which wheel(s) is/are the problem. Cleaning or replacing the defective sensor(s) should fix the problem.
    There were some warnings for the drivers front wheel speed sensor, it was replaced. They thought they fixed it, since they took the car out, were able to replicate it, replaced sensor they said it wasn't causing the traction control to come on easily anymore. But when I picked up the car, within 30min I got it to come on, during an pretty calm turn, that I take every day to work.

It does not appear to be anything mechanical here, as if I kill all traction control, the car is just fine, it doesn't feel unstable that way.

I took it in for the original problem while it was there also replaced sway bar endlinks, (actually did M roady sway bars). threw on GC coilover conversion kit as well, and new strut hats and rear shock mounts.

Other than the ABS/DSC intervening for no apparent reason the car behaves just fine now, steering is nice and tight, grips well, brakes well, etc.

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    My car is exactly the same. DSC triggers on long sweeping corners, it's been the same through multiple sets of tires and drives great with DSC off. Curiously, I'm also running M suspension on a non-M. Perhaps it's related to tire scrub that's different than DSC expects due to the M geometry changes..
    2.8 Z3 coupe + 6 speed || 200kW electric 1970 Jaguar XJ6

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    Don't forget there is a lateral acceleration sensor that is possibly the culprit. Right now I'm looking at a toasted one on my car that was uncharacteristically doing a long sweeping turn activation of DSC prior.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar Ole View Post
    Don't forget there is a lateral acceleration sensor that is possibly the culprit. Right now I'm looking at a toasted one on my car that was uncharacteristically doing a long sweeping turn activation of DSC prior.
    I agree with this. Sounds like a faulty yaw/lateral acceleration sensor to me. My dad's 01 M roadster has the same symptoms, and followed by random ABS lights at times.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    Yup- Inpa=electrical failure Tool32=no connection DSC light always on. Vendor just sent me the wrong part and I'm waiting for the replacement ($25.00).

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar Ole View Post
    You know, I could give you a hug right now...

It sounds exactly like this might be the issue. From what I was reading, if you just press the DSC button, it only disables the YAW sensor, and I am not having any of the stability issues with it at this point. It only happens on longer sweeping turns, which is odd because sharp hard corners don't trigger it.

In any case for those of you who might experience this:

34526864094 (01/02/2013 - Present)
    34526754289 (07/01/2000 - 06/13/2013)
    34521166003 (02/01/1999 - 05/30/2000)
    34521164457 (03/01/1998 - 12/15/1999)

This are the part numbers over the years. Brand new an OE part is north of $600 so yeah...

edit: I forgot to mention, I posted all the historic part numbers in case you wanted to go for a used part. I realize $640 and up is pretty expensive for a sensor, and all of the part numbers above are interchangeable parts, they will all work with our cars. the 1166003 and 6754289 are quite widely available from what I have seen. Which would make sense since the latter was produced for 13 years.
    Last edited by Luftwaffe1O1; 06-05-2018 at 07:12 PM.