Thread: New to Z4 research, please help this clueless man

My Cars
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Rhino

New to Z4 research, please help this clueless man

Hello all, I tried my luck with other BMW forum and it doesn’t seem near as active as this one. I’m looking at purchasing either a ‘06-‘09 Z4, RF Miata, or Fiat Abarth in next 6-9 months or so. I know I want a roadster, I’m 6’2, 180 or so. I drove both RF and Abarth and RF feels tight and I feel it’s pricey. I really don’t want to drop 30k+ if possible. I’ve always loved the Z4 and sat in a ‘07 at dealership just to get feel and the space compared to Miata was very nice!

My dilemma is I’m concerned about reliability of older BMW. I’ve just always heard they are very high maintenance. I’m not super handy and honestly don’t have time to work on it myself, but have a good shop that works on all makes and another one that specializes in BMW very close to my house. Is the ‘09+ with retractable hardtop better as far as top concerns? Third party extended warranties good or bad idea? Better to look for Z4 with 40-50k and pay more or 70-80k and pay less? Sorry for the multiple questions, just want to make choice I don’t regret. I know I can find lower mileage one for 15k or less, maybe closer to 12k. The RF and Abarth are both new but are at or over 30k.

Thanks!

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by Coachrhino11 View Post
    Hello all, I tried my luck with other BMW forum and it doesn’t seem near as active as this one. I’m looking at purchasing either a ‘06-‘09 Z4, RF Miata, or Fiat Abarth in next 6-9 months or so. I know I want a roadster, I’m 6’2, 180 or so. I drove both RF and Abarth and RF feels tight and I feel it’s pricey. I really don’t want to drop 30k+ if possible. I’ve always loved the Z4 and sat in a ‘07 at dealership just to get feel and the space compared to Miata was very nice!

My dilemma is I’m concerned about reliability of older BMW. I’ve just always heard they are very high maintenance. I’m not super handy and honestly don’t have time to work on it myself, but have a good shop that works on all makes and another one that specializes in BMW very close to my house. Is the ‘09+ with retractable hardtop better as far as top concerns? Third party extended warranties good or bad idea? Better to look for Z4 with 40-50k and pay more or 70-80k and pay less? Sorry for the multiple questions, just want to make choice I don’t regret. I know I can find lower mileage one for 15k or less, maybe closer to 12k. The RF and Abarth are both new but are at or over 30k.

Thanks!
    First- 09 is the next gen of Z4. If you want the first gen, you want 06-08. Second the Z4 is not bad at all as far as reliability. I would suggest you go for the si model as the motor is less finicky than the M's 3.2. The big things to look for are a complete service history and to have the top drains checked for blockage(if the top is working fine you may be ok, but I would still have it checked well.) A good PPI is a great idea to make sure nothing is hiding. From what I have experienced the Z4 is a very reliable car with few issues to be concerned about. Good luck!