Thread: Radiator snap hose connections

My Cars
    528i TA

Radiator snap hose connections

Can anyone direct me to what the proper way to connect the bmw quick connect hoses is. I am putting the hose on to the plastic heater hoses under the intake and I am concerned that it will leak. I’m not very familiar with the procedure of the quick connect hoses. It just doesn’t seem like it is a tight connection. I am using bmw parts, but seriously a little clip holds it all together? Some YouTube videos show to leave the clip down and push it on...? Others show to press on with clip up and then press clip down? I don’t want another leak under my intake, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The clip holds it on, I use a bit of silicone on the rubber oring inside. The clip never lets go, screw clamps loosen slightly over time. If you notice on other hoses that have the clip when in the correct position the clip is right above the fitting.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    The o-ring inside the hose connection provides the tight no leak seal,
    the clip just provides a non-slip locking mechanism.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    The clip holds it on, I use a bit of silicone on the rubber oring inside. The clip never lets go, screw clamps loosen slightly over time. If you notice on other hoses that have the clip when in the correct position the clip is right above the fitting.
    to clarify "silicone", I assume you mean grease, not bath tub caulk

OP, either way is fine, if you can't pull it back off the clip is seated. O-ring does the rest
    Last edited by ross1; 01-30-2018 at 10:50 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    My Cars 528i TA
    please add to your profile model and built year and post in the corresponding model subforum.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '06 BMW X3
    I believe proper way is to leave the clip in position and push it on firmly until you can hear it click into place. Otherwise you may not have it fully seated before pushing the clip in.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    I believe proper way is to leave the clip in position and push it on firmly until you can hear it click into place. Otherwise you may not have it fully seated before pushing the clip in.
    No, not on those cars. If you try to do that on that engine, it won't clip into place. It needs to be unclipped, then installed, then clip installed back into place.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '06 BMW X3
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    No, not on those cars. If you try to do that on that engine, it won't clip into place. It needs to be unclipped, then installed, then clip installed back into place.
    Oops, re-read it and thought he said radiator hose, not heater hose!

My Cars
    I've never done it that way. The clip is ALWAYS in place. I can hear it click, so I always know that it's locked in place. I spray silicone lube spray on the o-ring in the hose, as well as the part the hose is snapping on to.

I see you're a moderator, but not sure if you're a professional tech or not. I'd have to say over 12.5 years in the business, I'm sure I've disconnected and reconnected thousands and thousands of coolant hoses of all shapes and sizes. But hey, everyone has their own way of doing things, and in this situation, I don't think either way would be considered wrong.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    I've never done it that way. The clip is ALWAYS in place. I can hear it click, so I always know that it's locked in place. I spray silicone lube spray on the o-ring in the hose, as well as the part the hose is snapping on to.

I see you're a moderator, but not sure if you're a professional tech or not. I'd have to say over 12.5 years in the business, I'm sure I've disconnected and reconnected thousands and thousands of coolant hoses of all shapes and sizes. But hey, everyone has their own way of doing things, and in this situation, I don't think either way would be considered wrong.
    No, I'm not a tech by profession, but service my own BMW's and have worked on countless others. In particular, M62 lower coolant hoses connecting to the water pump I've never been able to get on with the clip closed. I slide it in position then clip it and jiggle it, at which point I hear the satisfying click. Maybe because the cars I work on are old and grungy and yours are nice and new yours work "as designed" ...whereas mine, I make work

As long as it clips and clicks, it's fine

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Maybe because the cars I work on are old and grungy and yours are nice and new yours work "as designed"
    God I wish that was the case! I don't know how some of these newer cars turn to shit so fast. Neglect I guess.

But yeah, it's been awhile since I've done any work on E39, 38, 46, 36 or older.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician