Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Can't reset TPMS with iDrive

My Cars
    2013 X5

Can't reset TPMS with iDrive

I have a 2013 BMX X5 (e70) with iDrive. I just purchased a second set of wheels with winter tires. I got them super slightly used from a guy who works at a BMW dealership. They are BMW wheels and they have the TPMS sensors in them. I mounted them on my vehicle but it can't reset the TPMS. I have taken my vehicle into a local "discount tire" kind of place and they did scan the sensors and confirm that they are all working/transmitting. Beyond that they didn't know anything else to do other than go into the iDrive and attempt to do the TPMS reset.

The issue is that I have been driving around for a week now and still the car just says "resetting TPMS". I have tried several times to cancel and then restart the TPMS reset but it is almost as if it is stuck in the TPMS reset and I am unable to cancel and try again. I have ensured proper tire pressure several times, I have driven 26 miles on the freeway thinking maybe it just needed a long drive, I have tried everything short of taking it to the dealer.

Any advice would be appreciated. Is there some sort of way to do a soft reboot of the iDrive system? Even after shutting off the vehicle and using it again the next day, it picks up where it left off saying "TPMS reset in progress" or whatever it says.

Yes, I googled and used the search function already but did not get any answers to this question

Interesting it happened when you were unmounting and mounting tires. My guess is one or more is not installed correctly. Otherwise, you may need to scan it, or ignore it and see if it goes away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2013 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by dano1200r View Post
    Interesting it happened when you were unmounting and mounting tires. My guess is one or more is not installed correctly. Otherwise, you may need to scan it, or ignore it and see if it goes away.

Been a week and it hasn’t gone away yet. Incase I wasn’t clear this is a second set of wheels and sensors, not my originals which I have kept the all-seasons on and will switch back to in the spring.

No issues with tpms on my originals,after swapping to the second set I anticipated having to do a reset or something since it is a new set of sensors but it seems like it is either just not accepting the sensors or my iDrive is stuck and needs to be rebooted.
    Last edited by yosturm; 01-27-2018 at 08:57 PM. Reason: grammar

IIRC, if you get new sensors, there is something that the tech needs to do to recognize the new one. The tire guy was saying something about it to me when I got my Continentals last spring, but all my tpms sensors did reset fine, so I did not get any new ones. Call BMW service department, ask if what that guy told me is correct.

Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2013 X5
    So update on this, I disconnected the battery and then reconnected and after a brief drive the system now says “Tpms malfunction”. I guess I’ll have to take it in to the dealer