Thread: Auxiliary Water Pump and Valve Assembly

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633

Auxiliary Water Pump and Valve Assembly

I just rec'd new parts after auxiliary pump blew off hose connection. Aftermarket parts were pretty reasonable compared to OEM. I am wondering if there is a way to reinforce the pump connection since its a common failure. Would a machined bronze bushing glued to inside of hose fitting do the trick? Hopefully, new parts will last several years.

IMG_20180126_141147430.jpg

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP530 View Post
    I just rec'd new parts after auxiliary pump blew off hose connection. Aftermarket parts were pretty reasonable compared to OEM. I am wondering if there is a way to reinforce the pump connection since its a common failure. Would a machined bronze bushing glued to inside of hose fitting do the trick? Hopefully, new parts will last several years.

IMG_20180126_141147430.jpg
    New parts seemed to be made from a stronger plastic, never seen a new one fail so far.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    They should last another 10 years.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    Sounds good. Parts already installed with new rubber mounts. Will start and bleed radiator tomorrow.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Hope they are o.k., here copied from a U.K. forum: On one U.K. forum someone with a E32 had a limited budget to replace the original heater valves from Bosch or Hella and the original aux water pump from Bosch or Hella. So I gave him the link to that aftermarket heater valves for only $ 69.97,New Heater Control Valve Hot Water Solenoid for BMW E31 E34 525 535 64118391417, 90 days warranty Ebay seller name: parts_links
    and for the aux water pump I recommended a BOSCH universal auxiliary additional electric water pump for car/vehicle/heating
    Brand: Bosch, other Part Numbers: 8E0261431, 90509271, 4395612, 90448286 Manufacturer Part Number: 0 392 020 034
    Description : Nominal voltage : 12 V, Delivery : 750 dm3/h (750 litres in 1 hour), Delivery pressure : 0.1 bar, Direction of rotation : R Weight : 0.4 kg, Length : 150 mmDiameter of metal housing : 41 mm, Diameter of plastic housing : 48.5 mm
    Diameter of plastic housing with bolts : 61 mm, Inlet diameter : 20 mm Outlet diameter : 20 mm, Manufacturer BOSCH 0 392 020 034, Water Pump, parking heater; Additional Water Pump, Cross numbers DELPHI 007669,FERRARI 654603,MASERATI 654603,OPEL 90448286,OPEL 90509271,SAAB 90448286,SCANIA 4395612,VAUXHALL 90509271,VOLKSWAGEN 8E026143 https://infopart.org/bosch-0392020034-part Price $50 plus shipping from Estonia, this seller at ebay autodetus
    So this aux water pump conveys 200 liter per hour less than the original BMW pump, which has 950 l/h. But the price of the original BMW pump is more than double.Also the connecting plug is different from BMW as well as total dimensions, so has to be worked on. He just received them and installed them and here are his comments, no long time experience available so far of course:
    Posted 28 March 2016
    the universal pump looks pretty much a direct replacement dimensionally, only difference (and I think it is insignificant) is the body diameter of original which I have measured at 45mm compared to 41mm on BMW item but circular clamp should take care of that. I doubt the difference in pump capacity will be noticeable and I am sure I can overcome alternative electrical connection. Many thanks I will get one of these
    ----------------
    update: I have ordered and received both the Bosch universal auxiliary water pump, and the aftermarket heater valve. The heater valve is most interesting, if I did not know better I would say the mouldings came from original tooling. My old valve has part numbers moulded in in 2 places. The aftermarket has the same numbers moulded in the same places. All things considered it looks a nice unit and much better than i expected, plus it fits perfectly. The moulded numbers whilst the same, are raised more on the new part than the old, but then my original could well have been produced on worn tooling. Even the same type face has been used, so somebody has gone to a lot of trouble.
    I have started to fit replacement units, but run out of time this evening so hopefully will finish and try HVAC this weekend.Universal pump fits fine on heater valve, it just required a small spacer to stand it off 5mm.
    -------------------
    Update: Finished fitting everything back this afternoon and did a 25 mile run in the car, the heater valve/pump seems to work fine, certainly it was controlling the temp up and down as requested. In terms of how good valve is, my initial reaction is very positive, but of course it really depends on how good it is in a few years time. Certainly I have control of the HVAC system now plus a/c was working well on what must have been our warmest day of the year so far.
    --------
    update: Last Sunday afternoon I drove along to local supermarket where it was pointed out to me that liquid was pouring out of the car and visible from the nearside. After adding water and driving gently home I ended up taking my new heater valve out only to find that the 2 outlets to the heater were loose, in fact one fell out in my hand. So I take it all back, they look good but clearly there is a tolerance issue as they are supposed to be an interference fit in the main body with an o ring providing the seal. Not sure if I have been unlucky or not, but glad I did not embark on any long journeys. My fix Sunday pm was to split both original and new valves and put the new solenoid/seals/shutoff valve onto the original BMW body. I have not had chance to do more than a few miles, but it is currently ok. When time allows I will get my local garage to pressure test system. So to anyone else who might be considering buying one of these, I would be a little careful. It is the two outlets. They are an interference fit onto the main body with an O ring to provide the seal. The aftermarket ones are not a strong enough interference fit, they could probably be made to work by using epoxy and gluing them in though, however I think my 'fix' using the original old BMW body and the aftermarket seals/valves is probably more than adequate.
    ------------------
    from our E32 forum another case : and here the differences between a cheapo Made in China aux water pump and the original one, just got that from someone in Australia,His info: I got my money back on the cheap, Chinese copy pump that couldn't be fitted. Didn't have to return it, so took it apart to see exactly what was different about it internally. Genuine Hella pump on right, Chinese copy on left. Quite the dramatic difference in impellor design there! Just leaving aside the fact it was the wrong size, wrong electrical connection + wrong plumbing port size, I seriously doubt that even if all those hurdles could have been overcome to make it fit, it certainly wouldn't have pumped the water through it at anything like the required rate. Couldn't even make a working pump out of the sum of parts because the impellors are very slightly different heights, such that when screwing down the Chinese centrifugal pump housing over the Hella impellor and onto the Hella motor for a watertight seal, it clamps the impellor tight which prevents it turning at all. Salvaged the screws and threw the rest in the bin.
    His info:
    I got my money back on the cheap, Chinese copy pump that couldn't be fitted. Didn't have to return it, so took it apart to see exactly what was different about it internally. Genuine Hella pump on right, Chinese copy on left. Quite the dramatic difference in impellor design there! Just leaving aside the fact it was the wrong size, wrong electrical connection + wrong plumbing port size, I seriously doubt that even if all those hurdles could have been overcome to make it fit, it certainly wouldn't have pumped the water through it at anything like the required rate. Couldn't even make a working pump out of the sum of parts because the impellors are very slightly different heights, such that when screwing down the Chinese centrifugal pump housing over the Hella impellor and onto the Hella motor for a watertight seal, it clamps the impellor tight which prevents it turning at all. Salvaged the screws and threw the rest in the bin. http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/s...rigvsChina.jpg
    ================================================== ====================
    Maybe just unlucky, probably there are plenty of makers in China and quality is different.
    Last edited by shogun; 01-27-2018 at 09:22 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    Thanks for info, Shogun! I used a Hella pump so I would expect it to last. We'll see!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Hella is fine, I also use them, even have a new Hella aux water pump on stock, bought some for my wrenching buddies.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!