Thread: Offset RTABs w/ OE BJs by Jalopi: Group-buy thread

My Cars
    98 323

Offset RTABs w/ OE BJs by Jalopi: Group-buy thread

Hi All,

So it seems that some of you may be interested in having a set of offset trailing arm bushings which use OE-style ball joints. For people in the dark about what this means - what would be the benefits of using a part like this?

*Greatly increased articulation when compared to a solid poly/aluminum bushing. You get to retain the articulation offered by the OE-style soft rubber trailing arm bushing without the downsides that come with a soft rubber bushing

*Long lasting, sealed OE-style ball joint. If you have these bushings installed long enough to wear out the OE-style ball joint, the worn part can be replaced with an off-the-shelf component from your favorite part supply company

*The bushing design is offset, which can help get desired toe alignment with slammed zero camber cars or vehicles that have tweaked frames due to impacts

Here are a few artistic renderings of what the finished product should look like:

So here's a general breakdown of what I need to happen before this project can kick off:

1. I'll go take some real measurements and post the revised rendered model in this thread, Estimated completion time: a few days

2. I need at least five people to let me know that they'd be purchasing a set of these bushings once they're complete. Just reply to this thread to let me know. Estimated completion time: ??

3. After getting my five people on board, I will go and make a physical prototype. Estimated completion time: about 1 week after getting my five people

4. After the prototype is made and I post some sweet pics of it, the group buy will begin. I will once again need a minimum of five people to commit to purchasing before the parts are made. This will require a refundable $50 deposit. Estimated completion time: ??

5. After getting my five deposits, I will announce in this thread that my goal has been reached and that production will begin in 72 hours. After 72 hours has passed, I will be using the deposit money to order the metal/tooling necessary for this project. After this happens, the deposit will become non-refundable

6. Once the metal and tooling arrives, I'll begin the process of machining the RTABs. Estimated completion time: 1-5 days

7. After the parts have been completed, I'll begin shipping packages out on an individual basis once I've received the remaining $50 from the purchaser.

TL;DR: The group buy price is a $50 deposit followed by a $50 payment once the RTABs are ready to ship. After the group buy the price will be $120 shipped. Please note that OE-style ball joints are not included in either price. Shipping outside of the continental USA will be prorated accordingly
    Last edited by jalopi; 01-25-2018 at 07:10 PM.
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    98 328is
    I may be in. I just dont know if i need offset. If i get them will i have enough adjustment? Im not slammed, just lowered and i want to run 0 camber. Dont wanna get these and be too far offset to bring it in.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    I'm in, but I would want to see what kind of toe adjustment range we are talking about. Currently with my modified RTAB brackets via welding, etc. with Turner spherical bearings, I can only achieve about 0.20" toe-in on the RR right now at my current right height. I want to be able to at least double that and get close or up to 0.50" per side. I recently helped my buddy align his S14 with some grippy specs and his car at 0.35" toe-in is unbelievably quicker in drift that before (i can't catch him anymore)./

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    98 323
    @Thad - I don't want to start taking money before I actually have a finished prototype in hand - once that happens, I'll definitely be OK with accepting payment

@Hero - In regard to these offset bushings fixing specific alignment issues goes, I have no idea man. Answering this question accurately would require that I know exactly how low your car is and what your current range of adjustment is. Answering that question in a general sense would require that I spend 10+ hours taking measurements of all the moving parts of the rear suspension and modeling them up, just to make a part that others have seen success with on their cars. I'm only trying to tick off the boxes of [ ]spherical, [ ]sealed and [ ]offset that some people were requesting in the other thread.

FWIW though, my car was also lowered and not slammed. I had about 3-4" of ground clearance in the rear and had non-offset RTABs. I had no issue getting the toe I wanted in the rear (zero was what I went with)

I don't see making these in a non-offset version adding too much extra work to my plate. For those interested, I can do a non-offset version that will count towards the group buy number

@Mike - If you're willing, PM me (or post it publicly, doesn't matter to me) a pic of the modifications you made to the RTAB brackets. Try to include measurements if you can, pics of it installed on the car are ideal. I am optimistic about offset bushings getting you the extra .25" of toe that you want
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Here is what I did, which allowed more adjustment, but not enough.

Mike

My Cars
    98 323
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    Here is what I did, which allowed more adjustment, but not enough.

Holey smokes dude, how tight is the gap between your RTAB and the bracket? The rough math I just did says you need a shift of about 8-9mm at the RTAB in order to see an additional 1/4" of toe at the tires (25" tire diameter assumed). Do you have that kind of space to work with?
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopi View Post
    Holey smokes dude, how tight is the gap between your RTAB and the bracket? The rough math I just did says you need a shift of about 8-9mm at the RTAB in order to see an additional 1/4" of toe at the tires (25" tire diameter assumed). Do you have that kind of space to work with?
    It's extremely tight in there on the inside. I would probably have to use feeler gauges.

I'll put it on the alignment rack again soon and try to measure it.

Mike

My Cars
    98 323
    Well, I don't think that what I've got in mind is gonna help you, unfortunately. I might have a suggestion though. Is the head of the bolt in this picture:

a limiting factor in how far you can move the RTAB bracket inside of its pocket? If so, you could remod the bracket and instead of having a through hole in the pictured location, thread it and run the bolt in from the other side. Other than that I have no idea what to suggest, you've got a pretty extreme setup bro
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    98 328is
    Im in. Cant pay till the 15th though.

- - - Updated - - -

Cross post this in the regular e36 section. So many stance cars in there.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I'm having trouble posting today for some reason. But I'm here. All I ask is that you make this happen sooner rather than later please.

My Cars
    98 328is
    I cant access the site on desktop

My Cars
    98 323
    Bad news everyone. The trailing arm bearing I measured off of my car is 2.2" long, but the bracket for the RTAB is only 2" wide. It just simply doesn't fit. I guess the Bimmerworld guys used a bearing off of a car that wasn't an E36. I don't really have the energy to hunt for the right bearing.

Sorry for the letdown
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars