Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question for people with lowered tourings

My Cars
    2011 750Lix M sport

Question for people with lowered tourings

Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Hey thanks! I'll order a pair as soon as I get caught up on a couple of bills.
    I have a brand new set of H&R rear sport springs if anyone is interested. They are part #50464 for the 540i. I only used the fronts since I kept the SLS.

I also have a full set (F andR) of H&R race springs part #29791. I put them on the wagon and it set to low so I took them off and ordered the set from above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dvbimmerk; 02-28-2018 at 07:58 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    So I adjusted my Koni shocks to full firm and boy was that an uncomfortable ride! I ended up adjusting them to full soft and that's made the ride a lot nicer. I guess they were set just a bit too firm before I even adjusted them the first time? I also figured out my 70mph+ vibrations, looks like the rear tires are out of round, again... I guess I just have bad luck with tires.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    330i ZHP, 03 525iT Sport
    Full hard is not advisable on a Koni Sport damper.
    You’d have done well to index your initial settings.
    What kind of tires? I’ll make sure to avoid them!
    Full soft is usually only has slightly more damping than the stock profile.
    With air suspension, the game is different as there are frequencies and velocities where you could go from being critically damped one minute, to over/under pretty quick. I’d imagine this is the case when the stock damping profile (OE Sachs dampers) start to fall off a bit at certain parts of the force/velocity curve.
    Is it livable now?

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by simmsled View Post
    Full hard is not advisable on a Koni Sport damper.
    You’d have done well to index your initial settings.
    What kind of tires? I’ll make sure to avoid them!
    Full soft is usually only has slightly more damping than the stock profile.
    With air suspension, the game is different as there are frequencies and velocities where you could go from being critically damped one minute, to over/under pretty quick. I’d imagine this is the case when the stock damping profile (OE Sachs dampers) start to fall off a bit at certain parts of the force/velocity curve.
    Is it livable now?
    I think my issues is that I also wasn't adjusting the shocks correctly when I first installed them... apparently you're supposed to press them down until you feel the little adjuster slide into place internally. This time around I adjusted them correctly.

As for tires, I've had out-of-round issues with my last set of Continental Extremecontact DW's (275/35/18), and now with my Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2's (275/35/18). The wear on them is pretty even so my alignment is set up correctly, I guess that they were just slightly faulty tires to begin with. Most cars aren't that sensitive but my E39 touring sure is, especially with all the tight new suspension components in the rear.

My touring is lowered a good bit in the rear which decreases suspension travel, so full soft makes it quite livable now. No more bone-jarring thumping and highway driving just feels so smoooooth. I also replaced my air struts with new Arnott units and that made a noticeable difference in ride quality too. The rear feels very controlled and tight but still very compliant on bumps and bad roads.

At this point the only thing I want to change is installing bigger sway bars front and back, along with swapping my Meyle HD subframe bushings for OEM Lemforder ones. The Meyle HD bushings are just too stiff in that particular application, whereas the Lemforders have a bit of give to them that mellows the ride some more.

My Cars
    330i ZHP, 03 525iT Sport
    I installed the Rein rear subframe bushings and love them. They are fluid filled like the Lemforders.
    You will likely enjoy even more smooth with the Meyle HDs out of there.
    This is one place where I think fluid filled is the best overall choice, even if they only live about 75k miles.
    Best of luck!

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by simmsled View Post
    I installed the Rein rear subframe bushings and love them. They are fluid filled like the Lemforders.
    You will likely enjoy even more smooth with the Meyle HDs out of there.
    This is one place where I think fluid filled is the best overall choice, even if they only live about 75k miles.
    Best of luck!
    Yeah, normally I like the stiffer Meyle HD stuff, like in the thrust arms and the sway bar links, but for something that absorbs so many impacts I'd rather have a liquid-filled bushing. I'll probably do those bushings when I drop the subframe to do the differential bushings, those are pretty destroyed on my car as well.

My Cars
    528iT
    Polys bro.

My Cars
    E39 540 iT Sport
    Interesting comments on this thread. I've had my 2002 540iT Sportwagon (July 2002) since early 2005 (20k mi.) and now have 150 k mi. The E39 sedan and the touring chasis are pretty sensitive to what chasis bushings are used. I made the mistake of R&R Meyle HD rear 'bear cans' and regretted it.....ditto front Meyle thrust bushings (although the handle better and do not wear fast). I replaced all of my rear suspension w/ Lemforder and tried some Bilstien rear shocks specific for self leveling + lowered (277A). Those were the B4touring @$83.00 ea. ! Work very well. Those air bags are not hard to replace at all and I would not have that wagon without them 1) for the ride height 2) the handling and shock life is great. What really pisses me off is on the front 'Sportwagon' shock replacements is that all the vendors give multiple valving part numbers as acceptable. BMW only has one part number: 31311096864 and that is what you have to buy from BMW if you really want to know for too much $$. Presently I have the SACHS 556-838 ft. inserts. Those are really not for the 227A sport suspension but a little over damping is better than under shocking...unless they are wearing like mine now. Having a delema as usual over ft. shocks. Allot of peeps like the B6 Bilstiens (the old HD shocks). Tempted to replace the meyle ft. thrust bushings w/ Lemforder and go with the same Sachs 556-838 rather than the B6.
    Last edited by 5thbmw; 11-27-2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: add comment

My Cars
    E39 540 iT Sport
    BTW, I have 3 sets of those alloy rear sway bar brackets if anyone needs some or one fast and some of the "purple" poly bushings (I hate) ft and rear. They went on and came off in one day.

My Cars
    S54 and S62
    FWIW, my friend just installed Meyle HD subframe mounts based on my recommendation but he's going back to OE. His wife did not like the harshness one bit and that Touring isn't even lowered.

Personally I'm perfectly happy with the Meyle HD units on my lowered Touring. I guess it goes to show how people perceive NVH differently.
    Current:
    Alpine White E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Titanium Silver E39 540i Touring M-Sport S62 6MT

Past:
    Alpine White E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
    Interlagos Blue E85 Z4 M Roadster 6MT
    Le Mans Blue E92 M3 6MT
    Japan Red E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Estoril Blue Individual E46 M3 Coupe 6MT
    Cosmos Black E36 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
    Alpine White E92 M3 6MT
    Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
    Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 Coupe 6MT
    Jet Black E36 325is S52 5MT
    Lagoon Green E36 325is 5MT

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiv View Post
    FWIW, my friend just installed Meyle HD subframe mounts based on my recommendation but he's going back to OE. His wife did not like the harshness one bit and that Touring isn't even lowered.

Personally I'm perfectly happy with the Meyle HD units on my lowered Touring. I guess it goes to show how people perceive NVH differently.
    I'm in agreement. I did the HDs and hate them. Been planning to go back to Lemforders for a while now, just haven't had a chance yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    The 525 wagon I picked up from Poolman has Meyle HD bushings and Bilstein HD’s, Jeezuz it’s just way too stiff. Great on perfect roads on the highway at high speeds, but in the city, at slow speeds I can feel every little thing. Just picked up another wagon last Saturday, brand new Lemforder bushings, year old Sachs sport struts and shocks, some goofy brand Lesfohors springs, does feel like a brand new wagon fresh out of the factory. I do have a new set of Eibach Pro springs going on, when I have time.
    Last edited by BimmrMeUpSnotty; 12-05-2018 at 01:30 PM.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123