Thread: E30 316 Sedan cranks but doesn't start

My Cars
    1987 BMW E30 316 Sedan

E30 316 Sedan cranks but doesn't start

Hi Guys,

This is my first post in the forum and I am hoping that I am posting in the right section . I am having some problems in getting the car to start, I charged the battery (and got it checked out) and changed the fuel pump (found underneath the air-filter) but still no luck. I believe that the engine is the M10B18 and the car is an e30 316 Sedan (petrol 1766cc).

Basically when I turn the key the car cranks but doesn't start and the more I try the less power it has to start (the battery sort of starts to drain). Could it be the ignition coil? One other thing that I am not very sure of is whether the car has two pumps or not, this because I found something underneath the rear seat (driver side) which has one supply and an electrical point. I also read about the fuel pump relay as a similar issue but I couldn't manage to locate any relays, I have the main relay (in the black box) and other relays+fuses in the fuse box.

I wish I could attach an image but it looks like I don't have enough permissions yet to make any attachments.

Thanks,
    Chris.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Up to 10 posts attach the link from a free pic uploard service, thereafter you can upload the pics on the forum server, There is a test forum also here and you can try first there, for that you have to go to advanced and then you can upload the pics.
    Here is the realoem parts catalog, not sure if you have right hand or left hand drive, anyway, EURO version and there you can see the fuel supply system
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...87-E30-BMW-316
    Best is you use your VIN and then you have the details for your car http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

Test forum is here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/f...hp?123-Testing
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1987 BMW E30 316 Sedan
    Thanks Shogun for your reply. I will use the info you gave me re-going to advance. I used the VIN and it looks like the part that I saw from underneath the back seat is this: "SENDING UNIT ASSY METAL TANK" which I guess it is not a pump but the part used to measure the fuel level. Btw the car is right hand drive and euro.

Thanks.

My Cars
    1987 BMW E30 316 Sedan
    Update.... So after changing the fuel pump the car didn't start, so I changed the sparking plugs and did the spark test and there was a spark. So tried again and nothing, so fuel seemed to be the problem...and after some thinking I noticed that from the pump outgoing hose the fuel was coming out but when connected to the carburetor not. So it looks that it needs to be cleaned. Finally I also noticed that there is a small crack just after were the pump hose connects to the carburetor and I might have an air leak there.
    Last edited by chrifene; 01-25-2018 at 03:18 PM.

My Cars
    1987 BMW E30 316 Sedan
    Does anyone know whether it is normal that the carburetor throttle control produces a buzzing sound just before turning the key on the ignition position? Thanks.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    yes, your pumps should prime a few seconds before starting the car.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    it sounds like you have no fuel delivery. try starting the car using a starter fluid or spraying a little gasoline into the carb. if it fires but then dies right away you have a fuel issue, and can begin to narrow it down to fuel system components.

edit: the main fuel pump is located underneath at the rear of the car on the right hand side. this pump or the relay may have failed. there is a procedure to jumper the relay in order to test pump function. the carbed m10 is set up different to the rest of the e30s so the procedure may not be exactly the same. read through this link : https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...abling-Systems.
    Last edited by 82eye; 01-27-2018 at 11:22 AM.

My Cars
    1987 BMW E30 316 Sedan
    I did manage to get it to start multiple times now, the carburetor might have been a little clogged I don't know... Yet I am still not totally satisfied as when its idle is a little bit rough I think. Will have the carb checked out. I have read that many replace the pierburg 2be .

My Cars
    1987 BMW E30 316 Sedan
    Hi Guys,

Anyone knows whether there could be a chance that this type of model might have 2 fuel pumps? One near the engine and one somewhere at the back? The one in the tank I was told that it is just the fuel sending unit. In fact it doesn't have any power supply.

Thanks,
    Chris

My Cars
    Bmw e30

Bmw e30

Did you solved the problem ?