Thread: (Dumb Question) Wiper Blades versus Inserts

My Cars
    1999 E39 540i Sport

Thumbs up (Dumb Question) Wiper Blades versus Inserts

It's time for me to replace my wipers and I'm finding it a little difficult because in some cases I'm finding wiper blades and in others I'm finding rubber inserts. I suppose my question is whether replacing the whole wiper blade is better than replacing the rubber inserts... Thanks in advance!
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2016 Cadillac SRX & 1999 E39 540i/Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Given how inexpensive the Bosch wiper blades are, I'd go with that. I tried buying inserts thinking I could save a few bucks, but it was a huge hassle to swap them out.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    How handy are you...and what condition are your existing blades in? Are they rusty, discolored, springs shot?

If nothing is wrong with your blade assembly...replacing the rubber strips (to those that are handy) is rather simple. Once you remove the blade from the arm (instructions are in the owners manual)...you just squeeze the end of the blade that is securing it within the little fingers on the blade assembly...and pull it out. Salvage the metal strips that reinforce the rubber (if the new rubber doesn't have them...then slide both the new rubber with the reinforcement strips back through the fingers of the blade assembly and reattach to the arms.

The pics below are the replacement blades for my e38...but the e39 design is basically the same procedure/design:

{rubber replacement strips with metal reinforcements already in place...along with the plastic clips that keeps everything together until you glide the new strips into the old blade assembly's "fingers"}

{red box shows the "locking end" of the replacement rubber strips}

{images below shows the pre-formed "snap" locations that allows you to conform to the correct length (the left/right blades are different lengths)}

{then I cut the rubber to match the length of the metal reinforcement strip's length}

{then thread the new rubber through the "fingers" of the blade assembly...scooting the "clips" down as you insert the rubber...don't remove the clips until they are in the way so that the metal strips and rubber stay together as you insert through the fingers. When down to the end, secure the "locking end" of the metal strips in the last "finger" of the blade}

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-23-2018 at 03:20 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    Too many
    I replace the entire blade. In my opinion replacing the insert is just too much trouble. The blade replacement is quicker and easier.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    00 740iS
    84 635 (euro)
    88 M6
    84 745i
    88 325iX
    92 850i (6 spd)

My Cars
    1997 m3
    It depends on what wiper blades you currently have. If you have a set of PIAA wiper blades that cost around $30ish a blade then yes itd probably be a lot cheaper to just change the insert(usually under $10 bucks).
    Now if you have a set of $10 dollar wiper blades then id probably just buy the whole thing and save me the hassle.

My Cars
    e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
    I think it is a combo of what has been said. It depends on the condition of your current blades (rusty/shot springs), which blades you currently have on the car, how handy you are and also how often you need replacements.

I would vote for having two complete sets of blades and to replace the rubber inserts as needed on the set that is not mounted on the car. This way you always have a set of good blades ready to go.

Also keep in mind that different blades take different inserts and swapping inserts can be a little different depending on the blade manufacturer. For example the Bosch replacement blades are a little different than the OEM BMW and Valeo ones.I am guessing the PIAA blades are a little different too. It may take a little sorting out and online searching to figure out which blades you have an which inserts will work with your blades.

Another option is to buy wiper blades from FCP Euro and take advantage of their lifetime guarantee to get free blades when your blades wear out. Personally, I think that is a little silly was wiper blades are a wear item (at least the rubber part), but FCP Euro is perfectly happy to replace wiper blades under their guarantee so if you are comfortable with that route then go for it.

Another Option
    fyi just to muddy the water a bit for you you can also get beam style Goodrain/Aerotech wiper blades from Europe via ebay for the e39 (note you can find refills for these blades). This will require you to remove some clips and the spoilers from the wiper arms. Note: if you want to be able to go back to the OEM style blades be careful removing the clips as some people have damaged or broken the clips during removal. I was able to successfully remove everything without any damage, but your results my vary. I am not sure I would recommend doing this swap during the winter as the plastics bits may be more prone to break due to the cold but you live in FL so the cold is non issue for you.

As far as performance goes, unfortunately I don't put many miles on my car these days so I can't really comment in terms of extensive testing. But so far I really like them and I plan on buying a second set when these wear down a bit and then I'll use refills on them and rotate. Check out this thread and this other thread for more information.
    E39 2003 530i: SP, CWP, PP, Manual, Sunshades, Split folding rear seats, 17" Style 42s|
    UUC SSK & DSSR, Eibach sway bars, Powerflex bushings, Angel Ibright V3, ZHP illuminated shift knob, e38 Euro Armrest, Dice Media Bridge, spec.dock, OEM Mtech F&R bumpers, Hella Bi-Xenon (EVOX-R)

E28 1987 535is: Manual, Bilstein HDs, 16" Style 5v2 (from e38) [Sold]

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I always used to replace the whole assembly, but the last couple of sets, I decided to save some bucks and do the inserts, really is a no brainer. When the arms get dull, I'll snag another assembly set, then go inserts for the next 2 sets. I tried the Russian winter blade set last year, the Aerotech's, the passenger side blade work awesome, but both drivers side,(The purchase included two sets) blades lift off the windscreen in the middle of the blade, as if the metal spring is bent too much. I got pissed one day in the rain, stopped at Advanced, picked up a drivers side 26" blade from Trico, I had the old Bosch blade in the trunk, Trico has a cheap blade that slides and locks properly into the Bosch's arms. My wagons still sporting the Russian/Trico collusion wiper blade system, screw the Liberals.... My 540 got a fresh set of Bosch's.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    If your blades are in good shape, just replacing the inserts is the way to go.
    Once $tealers stopped carrying the blades and the price went north of $20 per online, I scored a 10 box of rubber inserts for less.

These don't have the clips to hold blade & metal supports together mind. But a little dish soap lubrication helps this come together very easily.

Upthread there was a graphic that showed the touring rear window insert is as a little thinner (like one front side of the e38!?!). But it will still fit with a little soap.
    Hang up & Drive!
    Jerry .. 85 Toyo MR2 140K .. ( 20V wiring gremlins *grrrr* )
    Björn .. 03 BMW 540i///M 148K .. ( beat up allstar *oof* )
    Gerta .. 03 BMW 540iT&A 151K .. ( chain guide triage *shakes head* )
    Franz .. 96 BMW 318ti 207k .. ( the new, new daily *GRIN* )
    Wendy .. 20 Honda Refrigerator 28k .. ( for the wife and kids, has flappy paddles? *squint* )
    Resistance was Futile...

"Now, it takes me three months just to fix a door lock because .. crying babies" - rammstein

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Bosch 539. Two blades, 26 and 22 in. Pop right in. Done.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    Bosch 539. Two blades, 26 and 22 in. Pop right in. Done.
    Yep, that's been my approach. They're pretty cheap and available on Amazon Prime.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Great thread, seems we restart this subject every two or three months. As previously stated, up to you whether you wish to bother with refills, versus replacing the frames as well. I go back and forth, depending on my mood. There are two options on brands, Bosch or SWF/Valeo. The SWF/Valeo is the factory oem supplier. Both work well, but I have found (here in rainy Seattle) I get a few more months of use out of the SWF/Valeo, but even the Bosch lasts about 18 months here, where the SWF/Valeo can go 24 months or more.

The absolute least expensive price I have found for the SWF/Valeo (complete with frames) is $25 for the set at FCP Euro parts, but you need to make their minimum purchase to get free shipping. If that is too much hassle, then Ebay has them for $30 here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-525...US!-1&vxp=mtr\

FCP Euro also has a pair of the Bosch refills for just under $10. They don't seen to carry the SWF/Valeo refills. You can find SWF/Valeo refills for around $6.50 each at autohausaz.com

Good luck with your decision!
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Speaking of FCP and rear Bosch blades for Tourings, FCP had been blowing them out for $3 and change on the clearance list, Don't know if it's still at that price, I have not looked, but it turns out, I had bought one last summer at the clearance price, and recently, like just a couple of months ago, I ordered front suspension bits, sport Sachs struts, and all the strut dressings, and another $3 deal on the rear wiper blade, it was such a good deal. I guess I am not gonna be taking advantage of the free replacement deal on anything from FCP, I figure, even at $6 and change, the rear wiper blade was still a great deal!

My Cars
    2002 540iT
    To go a little deeper into this discussion,
    Do old, less effective wipers effect the rain sensing wipers?

My wipers are pretty old and worn and I've never had much luck getting my wiper delay / rain sensing to work well.

My Cars
    00 540_6
    Done it both ways, savings using the inserts is not worth the effort of putting them in to me.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Swapping inserts takes like a minute at most. Y’all must be trying to swap em out with a spoon or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by danmurphymn View Post

My wipers are pretty old and worn and I've never had much luck getting my wiper delay / rain sensing to work well.
    The sensor is in the glass (well glass and the plastic housing above your rear view mirror.) If your rain sensing system doesn’t work it’s either the sensor is bad or more likely you’ve had a windshield replacement at some point that was either botched, they used an aftermarket glass, or both.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    It's not quite this simple. If the blade doesn't wipe the sensor area clear, wipers won't shut off. Scrubbing the windshield with Windex and a bug-removal-pad you wash the car with might improve the wiping.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    It’s in how well the glass installer mounts the sensor to the glass when he replaces it. Now, my glass guy is an old friend who has been doing glass forever and a half, he explained to me that if the installer does not use the right tape, the sensor will not work. I’ve never had an issue with my rain sensing wipers, as a matter of fact, I love the feature. And I have had the car super filthy and yet, the wipers work properly. Maybe I’m special or something....., like I’ve always suspected... lol

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    I’m making the assumption this man would know to change his wiper blades if they were that bad to be missing entire areas of glass.

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    It’s in how well the glass installer mounts the sensor to the glass when he replaces it. Now, my glass guy is an old friend who has been doing glass forever and a half, he explained to me that if the installer does not use the right tape, the sensor will not work. I’ve never had an issue with my rain sensing wipers, as a matter of fact, I love the feature. And I have had the car super filthy and yet, the wipers work properly. Maybe I’m special or something....., like I’ve always suspected... lol
    ROFL, you hell on two legs Snotty, keep it snotty.

But touché, I’ve never had an issue changing blades. My rain sensor works great also just be sure it set to the right position on the stalk.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyf540 View Post
    ROFL, you hell on two legs Snotty, keep it snotty.

But touché, I’ve never had an issue changing blades. My rain sensor works great also just be sure it set to the right position on the stalk.
    Haha, yeah, all for laughs man. Forgot what this thread was all about..... WTH? People actually have a hard time changing their freakin' wiper blades??? Hate to see what goes through their heads when they realize that they should have been filling up their headlights with that dang Mobil 2 headlight fluid....

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by danmurphymn View Post

In my experience, yes.
    In really slushy, dirty conditions my rain sense will occasionally go into continuous wipe. A couple of squirts of the w/s washer clears the problem and rain sense goes back to proper intermittent. Apparently a smear of road oil or dirt interferes with the sensor's operation. This happens sometimes even with the wiper rubbers still in good condition; more often when the refills are reaching replacement condition.

I'd suspect really old, worn wipers would be much more prone to the problem, and perhaps unable to clean the glass over the sensor well enough to enable proper rain sensing.

You might try cleaning the w/s over the rain sensor with glass cleaner & testing. But if your wipers are well worn, isn't the wiped area pretty streaky and filmed with road dirt anyway - a visibility and safety issue.
    Regards
    RDL

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    IMO SWF/Valeo is the way to go, I haven't had a set of Bosch blades I was happy with since I was playing with aircooled VWs in the 70s. Refills are ~$6.50 each at Autohausaz. I tried another brand one time, I forget what, not Bosch, and found them profoundly lacking.

I guess you guys back east have it different with salt, but I've never worn out a wiper frame, to me they're a lifetime part. In spite of their increasing popularity, I haven't had good luck with the beam type blades either, they seem to take a set and then start skipping parts of the windshield.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs