Thread: Blew up an axle while street riving- Good replacements?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i

Blew up an axle while street riving- Good replacements?

Hey guys, as the title states, I blew up an axle while dailying my car for a bit. Accelerating through the intersection, and BAM clunk clunk clunk.... .Look under, and the CV joint on teh diff side has completely come apart. So, who makes the autozone axles, and are they good enough? should I try to source a used axle? Is there anything between the $100 autozone axles and the $500 oem axles?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I've always had better luck getting used axles from junkyards than I have with autozone axles

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'll second junkyard over autozone. But at least most auto stores have life time warranties

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Ok, I'll try to look for a junkyard one. I'd rather not break another if I can prevent it, so I might as well go OEM. Do the 330i auto rear axles fit, or do they have to be manual model axles?

My Cars
    none
    Find used ones for sure, ive gone through literally 10 advanced auto parts axles. Stock power, street driven car. OEM used ones last wayyyyyyy longer as long as the boots are good. For 50-70 bucks though having a spare autozone/advanced axle you can warranty replace in a jam isn't a bad idea at all.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Used is best, although FEQ axles have been holding up in my LS car fine

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Used is best, although FEQ axles have been holding up in my LS car fine
    How much power are you putting down, just curious? I was told explicitly by my family mechanic to stay away from FEQ axles. Are you welded diff, or LSD?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    How much power are you putting down, just curious? I was told explicitly by my family mechanic to stay away from FEQ axles. Are you welded diff, or LSD?
    Welded diff with 421whp. The FEQs lasted a season but then I swapped to a 210mm M3 rear end as I was breaking diff mounts

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    Ahhhh, good ole autozone axles. Mine didn't even make it through ONE drift event with stock power.

I personally run GKN axles now, but if you can source junkyard/used axles I'd give it a shot.
    YouTube
    #TheE46DriftBuild

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by NuisanceCarl View Post
    Ahhhh, good ole autozone axles. Mine didn't even make it through ONE drift event with stock power.

I personally run GKN axles now, but if you can source junkyard/used axles I'd give it a shot.
    GKN sounds good to me, but I cant source the drivers side axle for it from GKN. Seems like everyone only has the right one listed. Any clue where to get one?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    GKN sounds good to me, but I cant source the drivers side axle for it from GKN. Seems like everyone only has the right one listed. Any clue where to get one?
    I got mine from FCP Euro, but that was for a 325ci. I didn't see anything for a 330 on their site. Maybe give them a call and see
    YouTube
    #TheE46DriftBuild

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Right and left side are the same...

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    Right and left side are the same...

Respectfully, This may not be correct. IIRC, one of mine is solid (pass side?) and the other is hollow (larger diameter). Although they are likely the same length. mine are E36 M3 axles.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    The length is the same, the fact that whoever owned your car before you cobbled some shit together is something I can’t account for. Your car didn’t come from the factory with one hollow and one solid axle.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by blake261 View Post
    Respectfully, This may not be correct. IIRC, one of mine is solid (pass side?) and the other is hollow (larger diameter). Although they are likely the same length. mine are E36 M3 axles.
    Sounds like obd1 vs obd2 i think obd1 cars are solid and obd2 cars are hallow, not positive that translates to m3's but i think 325/328 its accurate.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    The length is the same, the fact that whoever owned your car before you cobbled some shit together is something I can’t account for. Your car didn’t come from the factory with one hollow and one solid axle.
    Obviously, I didn't expect you to account for my specific car. Recently, I bought a driver's side replacement from a BMW specific JY here in GA, and it was also hollow.

The OBD1 vs. OBD2 axles makes sense, otherwise, they wouldn't have the M3 inner CV's (larger ones) on one of them (hollow or solid).