Thread: are all xenon hella facelift headlights self leveling?

My Cars
    2001 525i Touring

are all xenon hella facelift headlights self leveling?

I'm looking to replace my headlights (hella xenon, auto level) with some used xenon hella units. Can I assume that if they are also xenon and post-facelift that they are going to be self leveling? If they are but the used headlights have some issue, can I retrofit the motors from my existing lights?

TIA.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yes they all are, and yes you can.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2001 525i Touring
    Great, thanks!

My Cars
    e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
    I could be wrong, but I think the adjusters being broken on the used Hella's is much more likely than an issue with the auto level motor.

What is wrong with your current lights?

fyi if you are unaware in 2002 hella switched to a different type of adhesive that can not be opened with heat. There seems to be some confusion as to whether it was 7/2002 or 9/2002. If the lights were made after the cuttoff date and you want to remove the lens' is it possible, but it involves patience and you the original lens is destroyed in the process. Then you have to replace them with new lens (on the plus side you can use a butyl sealant to reseal the lights so if if you ever need to open them again you can more easily). Here is a thread on the process if you need it.
    E39 2003 530i: SP, CWP, PP, Manual, Sunshades, Split folding rear seats, 17" Style 42s|
    UUC SSK & DSSR, Eibach sway bars, Powerflex bushings, Angel Ibright V3, ZHP illuminated shift knob, e38 Euro Armrest, Dice Media Bridge, spec.dock, OEM Mtech F&R bumpers, Hella Bi-Xenon (EVOX-R)

E28 1987 535is: Manual, Bilstein HDs, 16" Style 5v2 (from e38) [Sold]

My Cars
    2001 525i Touring
    The issue with headlights is that I am vain and want the clear corners... and want to stick with what we know looks good and works!
    Ive read the tutorials to swap your lenses only, but a) I don't think my lights are the ones you can bake open and b) even if they were, this is not the place for me to me an expensive mistake.
    Last edited by ghostbutts; 01-23-2018 at 03:47 AM.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostbutts View Post
    The issue with headlights is that I am vain and want the clear corners... and want to stick with what we know looks good and works!
    Ive read the tutorials to swap your lenses only, but a) I don't think my lights are the ones you can bake open and b) even if they were, this is not the place for me to me an expensive mistake.
    Clear corners, absolutely disgusting.

Baking on a pre 07/02 is easy enough, not that I'm bothered to do it when my ziptie hack is 100% effective.

My Cars
    e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostbutts View Post
    Hahaha I like that honest answer. Well the upside to buying this set is you will now have a spare set of lights so if you ever need to swap in new adjusters or want to upgrade to bi-xenon you can at be comfortable that you have a good set up backups. Or of course you could sell them to offset the cost of the ones you are buying.

I am sure you are aware, but just in case you are not I want to mention that these headlights are notorious for having broken adjusters due to the brittle material the used to make the original adjusters. So you may want to make sure the adjusters are not broken on the new lights or better yet if the owner changed them already (the replacement parts usually are made from a better material although it may depend on where you source them).

fyi once you remove your current lights it is easy to check the date stamp on the back to determine if they can be opened. This recent thread talks about the date and there is a pic in there of what the date code looks like.

I am not trying to convince you not to buy another set of lights, you know your diy abilities and comfort level better than we do. And you are willing to spend the money on another set of lights. But just so you know opening up the bakeable lights is pretty easy, even if it seems a little intimidating at first. Also you don't have to use an oven if you don't want to, a heat gun will also work (not a hair dryer but an actual heat gun). If you are really paranoid you can buy a heat gun that has a variable temperature control so you can figure out the lowest setting that will make the butyl pliable. I used a heat gun to open and reseal my lights and it worked great.
    E39 2003 530i: SP, CWP, PP, Manual, Sunshades, Split folding rear seats, 17" Style 42s|
    UUC SSK & DSSR, Eibach sway bars, Powerflex bushings, Angel Ibright V3, ZHP illuminated shift knob, e38 Euro Armrest, Dice Media Bridge, spec.dock, OEM Mtech F&R bumpers, Hella Bi-Xenon (EVOX-R)

My Cars
    E46 E39

In Europe, ALL projectors (Xenon & Halogen) lights have self-leveling, by law.

In America, only Xenons have self-leveling. Halogens have a dummy actuator motor.

But, yes, halogen housings can be converted to xenons. I HAVE ALL THE PARTS NEEDED for this task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by M5XTu; 01-23-2018 at 12:48 PM.

My Cars
    03' 540i, 05' 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post

Baking on a pre 07/02 is easy enough, not that I'm bothered to do it when my ziptie hack is 100% effective.
    I laughed out loud at this

Sucks about the epoxy sealant, as I just ordered headlight lens replacements and thought it'd be a piece of cake.
    Question: how do you know if your leveling system is broken? Does the car spit out an error?

My Cars
    1999 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer7410 View Post
    Question: how do you know if your leveling system is broken? Does the car spit out an error?
    Grab the back of the xenon bulb. If it wiggles around........ Adjusters are borked.

Zip tie to needed level if your so inclined.

My Cars
    03' 540i, 05' 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach540 View Post
    Grab the back of the xenon bulb. If it wiggles around........ Adjusters are borked.

Zip tie to needed level if your so inclined.
    Great, thanks

My Cars
    e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer7410 View Post
    Mach540's answer is correct if you are checking for broken adjusters which is the more common failure. Not really a huge issue, but depending on what you are trying to diagnose it may be helpful to know the auto leveling system and adjusters are two different things that work together on cars that have the auto level system.

The adjusters allow you to set the aim of the headlights. The auto level system makes minor adjustments based on vehicle load. Jim Cash's description is better:

The BMW leveling program does the following:
    - a calibration run on each start up.
    - Adjusts light height for changes in vehicle load as determined by the suspension sensors. This is normally checked every 30 seconds and minor adjustments done as required.
    - "Immediately and constantly" adjusts the height of the lights during periods of acceleration or braking so as to prevent these movements from affecting the level of the lighting.

Note - the autoleveling does not correctly aim your headlights. You must first aim them manually according to specks and then the LWS system will keep them at the proper level for the above situations

The auto level system consists of a front sensor, a rear sensor, a LWS module, and the auto level motor on the back of the headlight. A failure of any of throw off the height adjustment of the lights. The LWS is connected to the LCM (all e39s have an LCM) so a failure of the LCM might also cause a height adjustment issue, but I am not sure. I am not sure if a failure of any of those components will cause an error light on the dash, but they might trigger a error code that you can read with an OBD scanner and/or something like NCS.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo12 View Post
    The auto level system consists of a front sensor, a rear sensor, a LWS module, and the auto level motor on the back of the headlight. A failure of any of throw off the height adjustment of the lights. The LWS is connected to the LCM (all e39s have an LCM) so a failure of the LCM might also cause a height adjustment issue, but I am not sure. I am not sure if a failure of any of those components will cause an error light on the dash, but they might trigger a error code that you can read with an OBD scanner and/or something like NCS.
    I've had problems with level sensors and got no warning lights. The faults did show up on a diagnostic scan.

Not to be objectionably picky/anal, but the auto-leveling module is an LWR. You won't find an LWS module.
    And for scanning for fault codes you'll need a full function BMW scanner, e.g. BMW's INPA or DIS, or aftermarket PA Soft, etc. . A generic OBD scanner won't see the LCM or LWR.
    Regards
    RDL

My Cars
    E46 E39

I’ve replaced adjusters for 7/02+ units. It’s not easy. It can be done by stripping the back of the headlights of all gaskets and tapping out the celis assembly (3-spoke metal assembly) out of the way. Remove the old/crusty adjusters like usual. Use your fingers (index and middle) to feel you way in there Try to catch one of the holes of the adjusters onto the stud and turn the 10mm external boot to pull the adjuster in. Reinstall the celis assembly and straighten it out.

Last edited by M5XTu; 01-23-2018 at 10:44 PM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I've done all this with the housings apart, how in the hell do you do this by poking two fingers in there???????? How do you take the busted ball end out of the sockets??????? You must be one hell of a gynecologist....
    Last edited by BimmrMeUpSnotty; 01-23-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    With screwdrivers forceps and tweezers. You're quite right that fingers alone won't work.

See post #30 in this thread for a PFD of the detailed procedure in the first post (which has now lost all its images)
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...cutting)/page2

And this thread for some additional tips
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post25099321
    Regards
    RDL

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo12;29937958[FONT=Arial
    Here is a thread on the process if you need it.[/FONT]

Too bad there're no pics.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    This is a good thread for anyone wishing to replace the headlight lenses. It turns out that someone dug up and re-posted the original post on page 7 of this thread
    http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...-lights-7.html
    Regards
    RDL

My Cars
    1999 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    They are there is you use Chrome and have the Photobucket Hotlink Fix. I'm sure Photobucket will eventually put the kibosh on that, though.

My Cars
    too many
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post

I agree, the USDM yellow reflectors are 1000x better. Reminds me of how bikes are sold at Toys R Us, the more reflectors the better. European version lights are disgusting

SIKE

My Cars
    98 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by M5XTu View Post
    In Europe, ALL projectors (Xenon & Halogen) lights have self-leveling, by law.

In America, only Xenons have self-leveling. Halogens have a dummy actuator motor.

But, yes, halogen housings can be converted to xenons. I HAVE ALL THE PARTS NEEDED for this task.

So my question is my car came with Halogen, I've changed them to Xenon but not sure where to connect the leveling wire to. Can anyone help?

My Cars
    E46 E39
    You will need the leveling actuator.