Avus Autosport

Thread: Thinking about importing an E38

My Cars
    1999 740il 1999 528i

Thinking about importing an E38

Whats up guys,

so I'm interested in importing an authentic RHD E38 from either Japan or somewhere in Europe.

I'm obviously aware of the 25 year law that California has on imports from other countries. That doesn't mean it hasn't been done or that people have found ways around it like you find ways around everything else haha.

I'm trying to see if importing it to Canada and either driving the car back to California or hiring a transportation company to ship the car is a smart decision or if crossing it over from Canada into the United States will put me in the same boat.

anyone who's ever imported cars, could you chime in on what my options are right now?

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    I daily drive an E30 touring imported from Colombia, that is fully registered in California.
    I think you're nuts for trying to import a RHD car. Especially when its just an E38, I do not think you have any idea how expensive and time consuming it is to import to California.
    Get an actual special car if you're going through this ridiculous effort. Believe me, it's not easy.

I'm obviously aware of the 25 year law that California has on imports from other countries.
    I don't think you are aware, because it's not a California law. 25 years is DOT exemption, which is a federal law. You're not going to be able to import that E38 and drive it on roads in the US until it is 25 years old.
    It's RHD, so it will not pass as being similar enough to LHD E38's which passed DOT testing.
    The only way around it, is if you were a soldier stationed in Japan or something, and brought the car back with you. Or you somehow went back in time, and bought an E38 in Japan when it was less than 2 years old, and were still a California resident.

Even once the car is 25 years or older, it still must comply with same model year CARB emissions requirements. You will also need a certificate of conformance, which is basically a much more involved and expensive form of SMOG testing.
    There are two labs in the entire state that do this testing for private individuals. Minimum price is typically $5,000 for testing, and that is if the car doesn't need modifications.

I'm trying to see if importing it to Canada and either driving the car back to California or hiring a transportation company to ship the car is a smart decision or if crossing it over from Canada into the United States will put me in the same boat.
    Makes zero difference, a grey market car is a grey market car. Doesn't matter if it is a Canadian grey market car or a Japanese grey market car. It's still a grey market car...

That doesn't mean it hasn't been done or that people have found ways around it like you find ways around everything else haha.
    Cars get seized all the time, it's a stupid risk to try to go around the system. Customs does not fuck around, people have been thrown in prison.

If you're serious about importing a car, you need to do some reading.
    Start here: https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_f...t_cars_faq.htm

Read every single law on the topic. It took me lots of back and forth arguments with DMV to get my tags and plates. The employees are clueless and beyond ignorant. One clerk at an office refused to register my car because I didn't have a SMOG test done, even though it says on their website a certificate of conformance is REQUIRED in place of a SMOG certificate for grey market registering... Took about an hour to convince him otherwise.

I may be coming off as a complete dick with my tone, but you need a real awakening here. It's not an easy or cheap process.
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 02-17-2018 at 01:08 AM.