Thread: Wrong/missing fuses on used '07 X3

My Cars
    2007 X3

Wrong/missing fuses on used '07 X3

Appreciate any thoughts. I bought a used 2007 X3 a few years ago and while trying to troubleshoot some turn signal issues opened up the fuse panel for the first time and am puzzled as to what the previous owner did!

Here's a summary of the incorrect fusing (based on the fuse chart):
    #21-23 are missing
    #36 is missing
    #38 is missing
    #47 is a 30amp
    #56 is missing
    #58 is a 10amp
    #66 is missing

Additionally, there's a black wire coming from behind the glovebox/radio corner that runs to a fuse adapter that has a 40amp and 25amp fuse plugged in. This adapter fell out when I opened the fuse panel so I don't know if it was plugged in somewhere, but I don't know if it would fit in any of the BMW fuse spots.

Overall, the car seems to run fine engine wise, which is weird because some of the missing fuses seem to be tied to engine control. The heated steering wheel doesn't work anymore despite me putting the spare 10amp fuse into #66. The turn signal issue I suspect is due to a wonky headlight level sensor (based on what I've read in forums).

In the back, it looks like the prev owner bought a Bluetooth TSU and has that wired in. I don't know if that is why he messed with the fusebox??? The bluetooth module doesn't seem to work (no attempt to pair when I turn on the car). I have to do a little more research online to see if it's properly wired in.

Any thoughts??? I'm about to open up the dash to see where that wire goes...
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you only are trying to get the turn signals working, I would use a continuity tester first by opening the light housing if you think that's where it goes.
    I would check to see if he had a tow bar at one time and it may be going there. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2007 X3
    I guess I didn't put any specific questions down, haha. The turn signals work most of the time, just every now and then act wonky like continuing to signal after a turn even with the stalk in neutral position, or won't signal even when I activate the stalk. But from what I've read it's likely from a the front passenger level position sensor going bad...

My question is more is there a reason the fuses are set like that... is that a workaround to something that I'm missing. Just want to know if I'm making a mistake by replacing all the fuses and tearing apart the dash.

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3
    Dshim99

I ran across this post while searching for an error regarding my 2007 X3. I took a look at my fuse box, and mine is missing the same bank of fuses. Mine has a paper chart that slides in the bottom of the box, and it has a "-" mark in the amperage slots that are missing fuses, my guess that it's not needed to due to not having that option installed.

I recently installed a TCU in mine, yours looks like it might have been installed at the factory or dealer. I base this on the fact that is has speed nuts holding it in place. I had to purchase cap screws at Home Depot for mine.

Press the talking face button after you start the car and see if you get a response. The unit use should go into auto pair mode right after you start the car, mine showed up as "handsfree" then after I pair it displays BMW25035. You will need the PK number off the label to complete pairing. Have your phone open to bluetooth before you start, I think it's only in the pairing mode for the first 15 seconds.

The blue tooth only supports phone, not audio. The voice assist uses a different phonebook then your phone does, and after playing with it I found it pretty much useless.

I suspect the turn signal switch is bad I had the same problem on a Jeep Wrangler once. Might also check the contacts at the bulbs, these tend to have connection issues due to age.

The mystery black wire maybe for an aftermarket amp or radio? Might have been tapping power from an unused fuse spot.