Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ABS Pump Bleeder Nipple?

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by mrf View Post
    If a single tap of the brake pedal on a straight after cornering returns a stiff pedal, then it's possible your wheel bearings are worn. This symptom is more apparent when using fixed calipers but I suppose it's possible on sliding calipers as well. What could be happening is your wheel bearing/hub/rotor deflection during cornering is pushing one of the pads in. This effect is recovered during a single tap of the brake pedal on a straight prior to the next braking zone. I'm not saying this is happening to you, but this is something that can happen.
    Yeah, pad knock back can certainly be a thing. But I think most of us have eliminated that from the possibilities early in the diagnostic process.

Neil

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by mrf View Post
    Interesting. Does anyone know what that thingamajig is on the 96+ 328i that connects to the ABS module via lines 14>18>20?

Here's my read of that parts diagram. Someone fact check me.

ABS Module I/O 96+ 328i 96+ M3
    Front Input 3 6
    Rear Input 4 5
    Front Left Output 5 8
    Front Right Output 6 9
    Rear Left Output 11 13
    Rear Right Output 12 14
    Thingamajig 14>18>20 N/A (Bleed Nipple)
    That looks correct. I have no idea what that is and I can't find part numbers for it anywhere. It's also not showing up on any of the 328i EUR models, just USDM. I'll ask a friend that works at BMW and see what he can find out.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Looks like there was a pressure accumulator on cars before October 1993:

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Just an update to this project.

Working on v1.5 and made some adjustments to account for the slightly different pump placement in the sedan.

We recently installed this in a local car for a friend to verify fitment, etc.

Just about everything is done, other than putting together the kits and bending each of the lines.

Should go into full production within the next 30 days or so.

Pricing for these is going to be set at $159.99 and will include shipping to all 50 states including Hawaii and Alaska. International shipping might be possible, but we would have to speak about this first to account for the additional costs.

The biggest thing I'm still waiting on is how I plan on handling protecting myself legally, so we'll see how that goes. Also need to finalize instructions for install. Should be fairly straightforward and any performance or race shop should have no issue installing this part.

Some shots of the recent install of this kit on a local E36 M3 sedan:

Here's the hardware:

Here is basically what you will receive when the part arrives (instructions are not shown in this picture):

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Made some final test fits and adjustments to the jig last night. Just waiting on some parts from one of my suppliers and should be able to move forward with finalizing the instructions and legal disclaimer.

For fun, I took a time-lapse video of line bending last night:

My Cars
    S54 E36
    After some research and consideration, I've decided against making this ABS bleed line kit available for the community.

I originally set out to solve my brake problem and then saw an opportunity to help others with the same issue. While I considered the design challenges, I thought it would be fun to see if I could actually do this and make it into a full-fledged thing. I have no experience with any real fabrication, manufacturing or business so to me it was an exciting new thing to try my hand at. As I got deeper into it, I began to see the potential legal implications that could arise if someone happened to be killed or seriously injured due to this part.

As a simple hobbyist, I don’t have insurance or any form of business protections such as an LLC to protect my personal assets in the event of legal action taken against me. I looked into it a little bit and discovered that the LLC taxes and insurance are too high of an investment to protect myself legally. The volume of sales needed to offset the cost is not tenable. I'm not confident enough that disclaimers and signed waivers will suffice, so I’ve decided to only offer these kits to friends for the time being.

If anyone is interested, I might be willing to sell the entire project (jig, materials, intellectual property, designs, supply chain, etc) to you or someone you know that would be interested.

Sadly, this is the environment we have here in the US so I have to play the game and simply do what’s prudent.

Apologies to anyone that was seriously interested and had been looking forward to picking up one of these.
    Last edited by golgo13; 01-30-2019 at 07:42 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Understandable in this sue-happy era we're in.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Yes, unfortunate but understandable.

Anyone who still wants to fit an ABS pump remote bleeder can refer back to post #34 in this thread. The parts listed are race quality and built for high pressure hydraulic applications, while the flex hose is custom configured and pressure tested in a Goodridge approved shop. Total delivered parts cost from Pegasus with tax and shipping would be around $80, depending on where you live. As many people will know, Goodridge is a well-known supplier of aftermarket stainless steel braid brake hoses for street and race applications. You purchase and assemble the parts yourself and take responsibility for the result.

Assembling your own bleeder hose and adapters is very similar to installing caliper brake hoses — actually easier in most respects. All you need beyond that is brake fluid and a bleeder, plus normal hand tools, shop supplies and some common sense.

Neil
    Last edited by NeilM; 02-19-2019 at 08:52 AM.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Neil has a great and affordable solution.

Modify your car at your own risk.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, RIP 528e
    I'm so happy I found this thread, tons of good info and ideas in here. Has anyone else used Neil's solution? If so, what were the results? How about the S2000 method?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234