Thread: Transmission issue at a low mileage E38

My Cars
    E38 7er, E46 M3

Question Transmission issue at a low mileage E38

Symptoms are; abnormal downshifting when releasing the throttle, staying in gear until hitting 4000-5000 RPM, check coolant level message even though the system is full to the neck and fully bled.

Upon scanning the car it gave me the following error in the EGS; transmission sump oil temperature sensor.

I tried my best searching through most BMW forums to get as much as info as I can before attempting something that will not fix the issue. A few things that I've read was the transmission harness, the torque converter, the accelerator pedal and something as simple as transmission fluid.

Already ordered the transmission filter, the transmission pan gasket and the ESSO LT 71141 transmission fluid.

No warning of trans fail safe mode up to date. Uploaded a video, but the issue gets worse than what has been recorded. Any ideas?

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Does sound like the symptoms of a transmission temperature sensor gone bad. I would replace the transmission harness that includes the sensor.
    Check coolant level is unrelated.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
    Symptoms are; abnormal downshifting when releasing the throttle, staying in gear until hitting 4000-5000 RPM, check coolant level message even though the system is full to the neck and fully bled.

Upon scanning the car it gave me the following error in the EGS; transmission sump oil temperature sensor.

I tried my best searching through most BMW forums to get as much as info as I can before attempting something that will not fix the issue. A few things that I've read was the transmission harness, the torque converter, the accelerator pedal and something as simple as transmission fluid.

Already ordered the transmission filter, the transmission pan gasket and the ESSO LT 71141 transmission fluid.

No warning of trans fail safe mode up to date. Uploaded a video, but the issue gets worse than what has been recorded. Any ideas?

IIRC The temperature sensor is integrated into the wiring harness. I think you'll just need to drop the valve body to access it... Kouks has alot of info on this maybe he will chime in... He had to replace his as the trans thought it was over heating. It runs at high rpms I think, as an attempt to cool it down even though it may not actually be overheating... Also may cause strange shifting...

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E38 7er, E46 M3
    Thanks for your input fellows. Would this be the correct part?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-zf-parts...4341423719~zf/

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    If you have a 5HP24 (you didn't specify build date), yes.
    Some cheaper sources:
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...0z-24341423719
    http://www.thectsc.com/products/valv...p24-90-13.html
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    E38 7er, E46 M3
    The built date is 04/07/2001.

My Cars
    E38 7er, E46 M3
    A quick update for people who are or will have similar issue. The issue is solved by replacing the transmission wiring harness. Did a full transmssion service while at it; filter, fluid, gasket etc. I don’t even feel the shift anymore. Feels incredible.

Also replaced the ABS pre charge pump due to trifecta after hitting 25 mph everytime. That’s solved too.

So far it has been a win win weekend for me.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    A quick update for people who are or will have similar issue. The issue is solved by replacing the transmission wiring harness. Did a full transmssion service while at it; filter, fluid, gasket etc. I don’t even feel the shift anymore. Feels incredible.

Also replaced the ABS pre charge pump due to trifecta after hitting 25 mph everytime. That’s solved too.

So far it has been a win win weekend for me.
    Thats great news! Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    I just read this and yep, when the trans runs at high rpm for no reason before shifting most likely the temp sensor has gone bad, tells the computer the trans is hot, and the computer runs at high rpm to run as much fluid as possible through the cooler. Replacing the harness is the answer.

Good of to see you got it fixed.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    E38 7er, E46 M3
    Thanks for the responses fellows. What a relief, especially after going over it's service records and seeing that the previous had gotten an estimate to fix it at $4,700 for a complete transmission rebuilt. At only 57K miles, I was shocked to see the rebuilt estimate. How could it fail at that kind of mileage? All completed for under $300 with transmission harness and fluid.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Thanks for the responses fellows. What a relief, especially after going over it's service records and seeing that the previous had gotten an estimate to fix it at $4,700 for a complete transmission rebuilt. At only 57K miles, I was shocked to see the rebuilt estimate. How could it fail at that kind of mileage? All completed for under $300 with transmission harness and fluid.
    I guess mileage and age plays equally important parts. My engine is below 100K but still have the same issues as the over 150K ones. Plastic dies regardless of mileage.