Thread: Someone Close to Hesperia, CA...

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport

Someone Close to Hesperia, CA...

Need some help with cutting and welding my exhaust. Is there anyone here who can help me out? The shops here are ridiculous... I need my car to drive major hills to go on interviews and with the clogged cat, she just won't make it

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport
    Found a shop that straight piped and gutted the cats very reasonably. Driver side pre cat was destroyed which clogged the rear cat and the passenger side was sliding into the abyss as well. Glad they caught it. Now cyl 8 and 6 with the left front o2 sensor codes are present. I'll deal with those later. Throttle response has pretty much returned and I am glad it worked out.

[/IMG]

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4liter View Post
    Found a shop that straight piped and gutted the cats very reasonably. Driver side pre cat was destroyed which clogged the rear cat and the passenger side was sliding into the abyss as well. Glad they caught it. Now cyl 8 and 6 with the left front o2 sensor codes are present. I'll deal with those later. Throttle response has pretty much returned and I am glad it worked out.

I need this to be done soon I guess. How much did it cost? What did you replace it with? Thx

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport
    A guy did it out of his truck for $40 and new pair of tennis shoes lol! Never got his number though. He cut the old cats out with an angle grinder and a few cutting discs and made some cash recycling them. Then he used exhaust paste and a dinky welder to replace them with straight pipes. He did a pretty good job nevertheless. Shop around and talk to some shops. Hopefully you can get a good deal.

Last edited by 4liter; 01-26-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    A guy did it out of his truck for $40 and new pair of tennis shoes lol! Never got his number though. He cut the old cats out with an angle grinder and a few cutting discs and made some cash recycling them. Then he used exhaust paste and a dinky welder to replace them with straight pipes. He did a pretty good job nevertheless. Shop around and talk to some shops. Hopefully you can get a good deal.

Wow, that's some good deal Can you pass emission test without the converters?

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport
    It is indeed. Nope you can't pass unless you have a hook up but I still have Georgia tags and I won't get it registered and smogged until I do. I have some time before I do.

[/IMG]

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    It is indeed. Nope you can't pass unless you have a hook up but I still have Georgia tags and I won't get it registered and smogged until I do. I have some time before I do.

I can make it as a "classic vehicle" in PA and no more emission testing, the problem is with this rule though:
    "manufactured at least 15 years priorto the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially inconformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance."

Cutting out the converter would probably disqualify Also not sure if the O2 sensors go crazy or something for not having the converter anymore. Are you not getting some errors? Is the car running fine?

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    I can make it as a "classic vehicle" in PA and no more emission testing, the problem is with this rule though:
    "manufactured at least 15 years priorto the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially inconformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance."

Cutting out the converter would probably disqualify Also not sure if the O2 sensors go crazy or something for not having the converter anymore. Are you not getting some errors? Is the car running fine?
    Only o2 code was there beforehand and still there...no cat codes due to electronic deletion...and still a misfire on cyl 8 and 6. Cyl 4 and 5 are great.

Last edited by 4liter; 01-27-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    [/IMG]