BMW of Bloomfield

Thread: 1997 M3 Sedan Alpine White on Black 5MT

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan

1997 M3 Sedan Alpine White on Black 5MT

Regrettably I am posting up my 1997 M3 Sedan for sale. I've owned the car since December 2014 when I purchased it from a long standing BF & M3F member (link to for sale thread here - http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=489614). I daily drove the car until July 2015 when I moved to Germany for 2 years. The car was stored in that time with my father. I've had it back since August this year but life is taking me down a path where keeping the car doesn't make sense. I just don't have any time to achieve my goals for the car. So, it's time to go.

Basics: 1997 M3 Alpine White Sedan, black interior, with 5MT transmission. Clean title 181k, driven rarely. ASKING PRICE $8900 OBO

The modifications from the PO are still present unless trumped by items I've done, which are detailed below. I did a lot of maintenance to the car before leaving the country, partly to ensure my father didn't have any issues driving the car 1k miles to his house for storage.

Modifications:
    - TC Kline SA Coil overs (PO installed) I purchased new stiffer rear springs, Vorschlag adjusters, and new OEM isolators to better suit my tastes. 450lb F 600lb R
    - APEX ARC-8 17x9.5 Concave x 4 (PO installed) Fenders are tucked. I installed Turner 7.5mm spacers and hub extenders on the front to better tuck the wheels.
    - AA GenIII Catback (PO Installed)
    - EPIC off the shelf tune with USB cable, EWS deactivated, 2 tunes remaining.
    - ASC system disabled, all original parts still available.
    - E46 Steering wheel (PO Installed) Airbag not connected
    - Z3 S54 Radiator
    - OEM X-brace (PO Installed)
    - Bimmerworld underpanel
    - M50 Manifold swap
    - Bimmerworld clutch fan delete kit
    - BRAND NEW Bosch Euro H1 headlights
    - Clarion Euro head unit
    - Complete BAV Sound speaker kit
    - NEW OEM Euro Oil cooler system with Turner brackets.

Maintenance
    - Regular oil changes running Liquimoly 15/40 in winter and 10/60 in summer (its hot in SC!) 6qts of 10/60 come with car.
    - @174.5k door handle gaskets, lubed window guides, replaced door butyl, and rear window weather seal
    - @175.5k replaced front tires with matching set to rear, installed Turner 7.5mm front spacers with hub extenders, found 2 small stress cracks in LH strut tower & missing reinforcement plates --> repaired cracks with TIG torch and installed OEM reinforcement plates, replaced front fender liners
    - @176k replaced shifter bushings, body mount, selector rod bushings, clips, & washers. Installed clutch lever delrin bushings, vertical facing paint surfaces clay bar cleaned, new windshield.
    - @176.5 M50 swap, motor mounts, heater & vacuum hoses, ICV & Oil separator, cleaned air filter, dipstick O-ring, removed ASC, removed rad fan, installed lower temp elec fan switch, replaced all idler pullies and tensioners, replaced complete steering rack (Rack Dr. Reman unit) with ends, new reservoir, new pressure line, replaced transmission cross-member & trans mounts, repaired suction line, lower timing chain tensioner, brake fluid flush, 4 corner balance & alignment by Protec Motorsports, & clutch slave cylinder.
    - @177k Z3 S54 radiator with new reservoir
    - @178k New battery, Transmission & Diff fluid exchanged.

Tons of other small unmentionable items such as clips, screws, and assorted fit & finish items.

Known Issues
    - Airbag light is on, haven't ran to see what is setting it off.
    - Turn signal cancel going left is not timed correctly on return, auto cancel doesn't work correct. Needs clock spring reset. Never got around to fixing it.
    - Front door locks need lubricated, will not function auto consistently
    - OBC has dead pixels
    - Something is drawing the battery down, cannot sit for 2 weeks without running.

I was planning to pull the motor and do preventative maintenance so I could feel comfortable with introducing it to a track. Plan was to do; Head gasket & head clean, Vanos rebuild, rod bearings, timing chain, and a S54 complete oiling system (hence the parts). I'm not going to get around to that but obviously I would recommend it given the car has 181k. That said I daily drove it and it has been driven from the midwest to South Carolina 3 times now. 3k of the 8k I have put on the car have been long trips, the last one in August. So I have no doubts about its ability to run. I checked the compression when I bought it and it was ok though I cannot remember the numbers. I also had a Point to Point with no major topics identified.

The car does have some dings here and there, largest of which is on the hood. Most if not all could probably be taken out via PDR. The nose could use a respray if someone wanted the paint to match the shiny new headlights. The paint condition is indicative of a well taken care of but high mileage car. The interior is similar to the exterior. No tears in the seats but some foam is soft and the paint has worn off in high stress areas. Seat heaters still function and all other items in the interior function.

This is a great car for somebody who wants to perhaps build a car to see the track 1-2 times a year while still looking pretty good for street driving. At least that was my plan .

I'm located in Greenville South Carolina. I do work very long hours with little opportunity to communicate during the day. Please PM with interest and I will get back ASAP.

Regards, Nick.

1997 M3 4.jpg1997 M3 3.jpg1997 M3 2.jpg1997 M3 1.jpg1997 M3.jpg
    Last edited by SitzeMann; 03-25-2018 at 05:21 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    More Pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Bump, I ordered the Vanos rebuild parts from Beisan yesterday. Going to fix the Vanos, glovebox, aim headlights, hopefully find the power draw source, and send the injectors off for reconditioning.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Bump

- New price
    - Vanos rebuilt
    - Injectors professionally refurbished
    - Glove box fixed
    - Euro oil cooler system installed (NIB OEM Euro housing, lines, & cooler) Same as this kit --> https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...ro-oil-cooler/

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    She's a beauty! I typically like the coupes a bit more, but this car is super clean!

GLWS, and free bumpness!

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    PM Sent

My Cars
    1995 M3 Alpine/Black 5sp
    Damn this car looks like a great buy. GLWS!

My Cars
    1998 M3 coupe

Interested!

Very interested. It won’t let me PM you. Reach back out to me plz!

My Cars
    97 Estoril M3/4/5
    She's a real beauty. Good luck with the sale.

joenationwide is offline Makes Cars Dance BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 M3 (GTS2), 99 M3

My Cars
    97' camaro ss
    Are the original fog lights included(or is all the wiring present to install again)?

Did you find the electrical draw?

Original wheels included?

Are u gonna do another compression test for a perspective buyer?

I think this car looks clean! The mileage is the thing that would hold some back, otherwise, it seems very taken care of. Lots of maintenance! Hell, I'd take it if it were 40k less even with a higher asking price.....or pull the trigger if it were a slicktop as is

Good luck with sale!

My Cars
    2001 540i
    Size_tires?

How_did_you_fix_glovebox?

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5
    Still available?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1995 M3 S52 turbo (Sold, like an idiot) -----------------------------------1998 M3/4/5 (Hopefully turbo soon, Nope sold this too)..................................E92 335i(God, I miss the E36's)

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Seems I missed a few posts but happy to report the car sold to a forum member.