Thread: Misfires and fuel trim adaptations!

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2002 540i

Misfires and fuel trim adaptations!

Hello everyone! So I recently picked up a 2000 740i Sport in baraitz blue with a marine blue interior, and it is a lovely car. However, like all beautiful things it has some issues...and the list is as follows;

DME Additive mixture adaptation bank 2 control limit reached.
    DME Catalytic-converter conversion bank 2
    DME Additive mixture adaptation bank 1 control limit reached
    DME Signal knock sensor 4

It is also indicating misfires in all of the cylinders...1 through 8.

Now for story time.
    So when I initially bought the car I knew it needed suspension work and I touched the cooling system as Well, these issues mention above have only started recently. I live in Canada...and it got really cold in December, -40c with the wind chill and it was during the first cold start in that weather that I found the misfires. It runs very rough and audibly misfires until it has reached operating temp. I should also mention it coughs blue smoke on cold start as well now.

It runs well when warm, with only an occasional misfire when rolling to a stop or when utilizing cruise, but the power seems normal and the cats sounded solid.

So I am looking for help on where to start really, I'm thinking possibly intake manifold gaskets...well all the gaskets up top and for the smoke issues maybe osv/pcv valve?

Thanks in advance!!

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport
    Welcome! Replace the intake gaskets and ccv, reset the codes. Also, switch the coil packs around and you may find that one or two needs replacing. If you're running good then you've solved the issue. However, if you still have the misfires, check your catalytic converters. That may be your issue as well...sounds like my car and it is indeed the driver side converter.
    Last edited by 4liter; 01-20-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2002 540i
    Will do, ordering ccv and intake mani gaskets this week and we will see what happens!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Certainly the intake manifold will leak at some point on the v-8s, don't forget to replace the throttle body seal also. It would have been nice to confirm the leak by smoking the intake or using carb to find leak. While the manfold is off take a hard look at the valley pan for coolant leaks. Definetly repair the mixture adaptation faults first. Cats will react to main faults.