RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Need advise/help: 2013 X3 Brake Lamp Malfunction

My Cars
    2013 X3 xDrive35i

Resolved: Need advise/help: 2013 X3 Brake Lamp Malfunction

Hi everyone,

I own a 2013 X3 35i that is still under the CPO. It's also my first BMW so I'm still getting used to the maintenance needs for it.

I got a Right Bake Lamp Malfunction and sure enough when I have someone press the bake pedal and I check the lights the right one is out. So far pretty simple.

Here is my quandry: When I use the fob to lock/unlock the car the right brake lamp comes on. So to me it looks like the bulb is fine (I have LED brake lamps, but apparently there is still a bulb??). I've also read that the circuit boards that control the brake lamps are a bit flaky so that might be it. Since the car is under CPO circuit boards etc would be covered, BUT the dealer over the phone is telling me its just the bulb and that isn't covered and they would charge me about $100 to change the bulb.

I really don't like the idea of spending $100 for a light bulb change, but I also don't want to be outside in the Canadian winter fiddling with the light bulb just to prove to the dealer that its something else.

Should I roll the bones and hope the dealer actually fixes the problem under CPO? Is this light going on for locks and not for brake pedal consistent with a bulb that is dying? Should I bring it to my independent (but honest) mechanic and have it actually fixed but pay for the repair even though the CPO might otherwise cover it?

Thanks in advance.

Edited:

I had stopped by Canadian Tire and checked the price of the bulb - $6.50 for two. So decided 'screw it' and just replaced the bulb. Didn't even need YouTube, the owners manual had pretty detailed instructions. Malfunction gone, problem solved, $93.50 saved.
    Last edited by OddLemming; 01-20-2018 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Resolved

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What color is the base if the bulbs? Brass base is a no-no. Why? The bulb check system looks at the resistance in each bulb circuit. If the resistance is out of tolerance it’ll illuminate a bulb out indicator. Now, the bulb check system has tight tolerances. As a brass bulb ages the brass has a tendency to corrode. You may not see the greenish corrosion, but it’s there. The bulb checking system sees that corrosion as high resistance, and will illuminate a bulb out indicator. Factory bulbs have a silver base. They don’t corrode.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    A hundred bucks to change a light bulb?!?!

I wonder how much to put air in the tires at that Dealership......
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2013 X3 xDrive35i
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    A hundred bucks to change a light bulb?!?!

I wonder how much to put air in the tires at that Dealership......
    Yea, they said 1/2 hr labor @ $150/hr + $20 for bulb + tax. All prices in CAD. The Canadian Tire ones are Sylvania ones, silver base and seem to work fine. I am pretty sure I couldn't afford their air. Probably pure nitrogen exhaled from bavarian virgins that all live in a remote convent in the alps. $50/cubic ft

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Look if you went to the dealer they would have seen it was a bulb and changed it, maybe for free or charge you for the bulb. You got all your info Though a phone call now you are bad mouthing them when they truly did not even have a chance to rectify your issue. I don't care for the dealer for the most part, but this is just misinformation.

My Cars
    2013 X3 xDrive35i
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Look if you went to the dealer they would have seen it was a bulb and changed it, maybe for free or charge you for the bulb. You got all your info Though a phone call now you are bad mouthing them when they truly did not even have a chance to rectify your issue. I don't care for the dealer for the most part, but this is just misinformation.
    Not bad mouthing nor providing misinformation, simply facts + humor. I would challenge you to identify any false information in my post (that isn't blatantly a joke). I even told the service guy over the phone when I called that I didn't "want to spend $200 for a $10 light bulb" and he laughed as he appreciated the humor and sentiment and told me what the shop would actually charge ($100). They work in a service shop where they know they charge alot. They also know that small things aren't worth taking to the shop and they likely prefer to provide quick info over the phone for free vs expensive bill at the shop because it helps with keeping a happy customer base.

Same with my joke about the air. I could fill my tires for $1 at the gas station or go the dealer and they will charge me about $25 for nitrogen. I just decided to play and provide an equally ridiculous explanation for their ridiculous charge for air that contains marginally more nitrogen that exists in everyday air.

I appreciated the info from the dealer, his 30s breakdown of what is involved was exactly what I needed in combination with the owners manual. It doesn't mean I can't poke fun at their pricing strategy. Similar thing was with 2 VW dealers I used to use. First one wanted to charge $30 to attach new wiper blades I bought, the other told me that light bulbs/wipers/air filters they would install without labor charge since its <5min to do and they were just happy that I would buy bulb/wiper/filter from them. They also once adjusted my washer nossles that came loose for free even though that was the only thing I was there for meaning a left the shop with a $0 invoice.

Some dealers are good (like the 2nd VW dealer) some are bad (first VW dealer) and some are in between (my BMW dealer).

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I figured it was all tongue in cheeks, so I left it alone.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member