Thread: Hatch lower trim piece removal?

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90

Hatch lower trim piece removal?

Has anyone remove the trim piece that sits right above the lower weather stripping for the glass hatch? (#9 in the diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_2407)

It seems like it's glued on. If you've removed it, did you have to glue it back on? If so what adhesive was used? Or is it some kind of adhesive tape?

I've got some rust bubbling in the center of the hatch, right under that trim piece. I'm considering removing that trim piece and covering the portion of the metal that is hidden under the trim piece with either truck bed liner coating, or POR15 to hopefully protect from future rust. That trim piece likes to trap dirt under there, which then captures and holds moisture on to the metal.

The hatch had the common rust in the lower corners when I bought the car, I treated it with POR15 and it has held up great.

Any experience on the center trim piece removal and rust remediation in that area appreciated!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I know the sides and top part have plastic blades that slide into grommets and the plastic can be quite brittle, I have never seen the bottom removed, if you look at the parts picture #4 is the grommet the blades push in to seeing how it's right next to the lower piece I think it fits together like the sides and top trim. The plastic blades or tabs are part of the trim panel and im sure could break easily.

My Cars
    2011 750Lix M sport
    The lower trim has tabs on each end that slide into a groove of the respective side trims. It is also held on by tabs which insert into the white clips that are mounted onto the frame of the hatch. If you remove more than likely tabs will break as they are brittle. What I’ve done is utilize butyl adhesive in between the clips so that it is held on via the butyl as well as whatever remaining tabs are in place. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Thanks for the responses. Is it normal for that middle trim piece to be glued on from the factory?

My Cars
    2011 750Lix M sport
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Is it normal for that middle trim piece to be glued on from the factory?
    Not usually. I use it as reinforcement in the event a tab or 2 breaks off. That way I don’t have to go out and buy a new part every time just because 1 tab broke off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Hmmm, thanks. Makes me think the previous owner must have glued it down on mine.