Thread: Headlight housing differences bi-xenon vs halogen

My Cars
    2001 540i M Sport

Headlight housing differences bi-xenon vs halogen

Greetings all, I have a question I have yet to find an answer to. My e39 has factory Hella bi-xenons with auto level. There had been a slight encounter with a larger object causing some fender damage and some headlight mounting tabs and a small section to become broken. With the cost of a used Hella replacement assembly being so high I am looking at options. The only damage is to the back housing itself. The projector and leveling mechanism are fine. So my question is this.

What are the differences if any between the halogen and xenon back housings?

Also looking at the aftermarket assemblies on the rear of the headlight there looks to be spots for things like auto level just maybe not cut out.
    So not having all versions in front of me I need some guidance please.
    Are some of the rear housings interchangeable to some degree.

My Cars
    '00 BMW ///M5
    They're the same from what I remember with my retrofits. You should be able to transfer the components over. The only things I would worry about are that I hear certain headlight covers / lenses are hard to get off even with baking. Also, you might want as well look into replacing the headlight adjusters since you're taking the whole thing apart.

--=Keith
    --=Keith

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yep, the housing are the same. The things that are different are, the projectors, and the chrome bezel for the projector, which is also the same part as the high beam lens. Everything else is the same. Inspect your projector, the chrome in the lens bowl gets corroded after all these years, and the output is just not as good as when it was new, also clean both sides of the projectors glass lens with a fine rag that doesn't leave lint, wear gloves, if you leave your fingerprints on there, they will show when the lights are on. Blacknight530 on here sells awesome projector guns for like $100, if you want to go that route. And definitely buy new adjusters and install them while the lights are opened up.
    If your light housing is made after September of 2002, BMW changed from rubber butyl to seal the lens to the housing, to urethane epoxy, baking it will not do anything. I had to bust up my lenses, cutting with an air saw, leaving an inch all they way around, I then carefully cut slits every inch up to the channel, ducknose pliers grip the pieces very well, and pull out the 1 inch sections, one at a time, then a Dremel and a reamer bit to eat up the urethane, completely clean the channel without punching through the back side. Off course, I had bought new lens covers. It's a fun project, I actually have another set to do, one of these days, I'll get to it. Got everything, but procrastination is King.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    E46 E39
    BummerMeUpShorty, it’s July 2002. I wish Cal45fan is on here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by M5XTu View Post
    BummerMeUpShorty, it’s July 2002. I wish Cal45fan is on here...
    Was it July 2002, the cut off date? My mind remembered September for some reason. Thanks for reminding me, a huge whack upside the head probably would have jiggled something loose too...

Yeah, Cal45fan's expulsion from this forum was total bs, his only fault was that he wasn't a paying vendor on the site, and one of the supporting vendors cried foul. I'd give you three guesses as to who, but you'd only need one. Jose was/ is a totally legit cool dude. If you or anyone needs to get a hold of him, send me a pm, I'll pass your info on to him and he can contact you. He has everything concerning headlight bits, ballasts, projectors, adjusters, the chrome bezels, brand new lenses, the rubber seals for the bulb holders, everything. Don't forget, for brand new projectors guns, Blacknight can also hook you up. I was totally blown away after I installed the last set that I did.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Was it July 2002, the cut off date? My mind remembered September for some reason. Thanks for reminding me, a huge whack upside the head probably would have jiggled something loose too...

Yeah, Cal45fan's expulsion from this forum was total bs, his only fault was that he wasn't a paying vendor on the site, and one of the supporting vendors cried foul. I'd give you three guesses as to who, but you'd only need one. Jose was/ is a totally legit cool dude. If you or anyone needs to get a hold of him, send me a pm, I'll pass your info on to him and he can contact you. He has everything concerning headlight bits, ballasts, projectors, adjusters, the chrome bezels, brand new lenses, the rubber seals for the bulb holders, everything. Don't forget, for brand new projectors guns, Blacknight can also hook you up. I was totally blown away after I installed the last set that I did.
    +1 on the Hella G4 projectors from blacknight530i. Mine are literally a night and day difference.

Yep, September 02 is the cutoff date from everything I remember.

It's worth pointing out that OP doesn't have "bixenons", but rather standard xenons. Bixenons imply that the car has a xenon high beam, but no E39s did. Just the E53 X5 w/ LCM4, IIRC.

Yes, there are differences between the halogen and xenon back housings, namely that the halogen housings do not include the cutout for the auto-leveling motor. I do not know if it can be added/cut out appropriately.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    +1 on the Hella G4 projectors from blacknight530i. Mine are literally a night and day difference.

Yep, September 02 is the cutoff date from everything I remember.

It's worth pointing out that OP doesn't have "bixenons", but rather standard xenons. Bixenons imply that the car has a xenon high beam, but no E39s did. Just the E53 X5 w/ LCM4, IIRC.

Yes, there are differences between the halogen and xenon back housings, namely that the halogen housings do not include the cutout for the auto-leveling motor. I do not know if it can be added/cut out appropriately.
    So it was September? That seems to be what I knew. Nate, I'm looking at a set of halogen housings that I snagged off of eBay, I plan on swapping to Xenon, these housings do have the cut out, three torx screws and all, and the self levelling module..... Funny, never thought about that when I first received these.
    Now, on another halogen set that I converted, I do remember the cover cap, three torx screws and all, but it was just a cap, with a threaded shaft with a 6mm allen end on it to adjust the bottom end I guess, I'll look for them later or tomorrow.

My Cars
    Canada
    I have a set of Halogen and Xenon headlights here, currently fixing up the junkyard Xenons to retrofit on my car. As far as I can tell there's no difference in the housing. The auto levelling motor comes out as a unit. Be very very careful removing this, you need to move the ball on the end of the motors post to one side to remove it from it's clip. It's just a static post in the halogen lights but the entire assembly uses the same three screws the xenon one does.

I got both these Xenon lights from a 2001 and stupid me I didn't check thoroughly enough, one headlight has been replaced and has a 2004 date code on it. I had to cut an access hatch to replace the adjusters. Considering ordering a kit of permaseal headlight cutters. Has anyone used these before with any success on the E39 headlights?
    Last edited by 8ender; 01-23-2018 at 12:45 AM.

My Cars
    e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
    fwiw I have 7/2002 written down in my notes. I got the date from an older thread where people were discussing it. I am not sure which date is correct.

fyi for those unfamiliar there is a date stamp on the back of the headlights. It looks like this.
    e39_headlight_Date copy.jpg
    The markings indicate this one was made in the 9th month (September) of 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    It's worth pointing out that OP doesn't have "bixenons", but rather standard xenons. Bixenons imply that the car has a xenon high beam, but no E39s did.
    Good catch. The OEM e39 xenon projectors definitely don't have a solenoid and moveable cutoff shield to allow them to operate as high beams. Although if someone swaps in a bi-xenon projector they can retrofit bi-xenons into the e39. Did you wire up your Hella G4 projectors to operate in high beam mode? I wired my EVOX-R projectors to come on with my halogen high beams. I love high beam mode on the xenon projector.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ender View Post
    The auto levelling motor comes out as a unit. Be very very careful removing this, you need to move the ball on the end of the motors post to one side to remove it from it's clip. It's just a static post in the halogen lights but the entire assembly uses the same three screws the xenon one does.
    Exactly.iirc I read a tip that you need to loosen the adjusters as much as possible and that would give the shroud more room to move and thereby not create as much pressure when removing the ball from the socket.

fyi some pictures may be helpful to others (the pics are from previous write ups so there may be some items labeled that are not relevant here).
    Here is the back of a facelift xenon assembly. The auto level motor is labeled.
    E39_Xenon_Rear.jpg

Here is the back of facelift halogen assembly (you can see the static post there in place of the auto level motor)

e39_halogen_Rear.JPG

Often/almost always when people take apart halogen lights to fix adjusters the static post or rather the plastic surrounding it breaks. But the headlight housing usually remains in tact.
    e39_back_plate_1.JPGe39_stalk_3_pieces_1.JPG
    I think the theory is the post and its plastic surround were one piece, which was joined to the back of the assembly during production. Op in this instance you want to remove the static post and replace it with the auto level motor that you remove from your current lights. I have not personally done this, but it looks like it should work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ender View Post
    I got both these Xenon lights from a 2001 and stupid me I didn't check thoroughly enough, one headlight has been replaced and has a 2004 date code on it. I had to cut an access hatch to replace the adjusters. Considering ordering a kit of permaseal headlight cutters. Has anyone used these before with any success on the E39 headlights?
    Yes it has been done. Check out this thread on the M5 board. I think there is also a write up on this board too. Basically with some patience the original lens is removed(destroyed in the process), but the rest of the light remains intact. You then use a new replacement lens and seal it with whatever you want, personally I would use a butyl sealant so you can easily open them back up if you ever need to again.
    E39 2003 530i: SP, CWP, PP, Manual, Sunshades, Split folding rear seats, 17" Style 42s|
    UUC SSK & DSSR, Eibach sway bars, Powerflex bushings, Angel Ibright V3, ZHP illuminated shift knob, e38 Euro Armrest, Dice Media Bridge, spec.dock, OEM Mtech F&R bumpers, Hella Bi-Xenon (EVOX-R)

E28 1987 535is: Manual, Bilstein HDs, 16" Style 5v2 (from e38) [Sold]

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Just to clarify, bakeable lights are dated prior to 7/2002.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo12 View Post
    Good catch. The OEM e39 xenon projectors definitely don't have a solenoid and moveable cutoff shield to allow them to operate as high beams. Although if someone swaps in a bi-xenon projector they can retrofit bi-xenons into the e39. Did you wire up your Hella G4 projectors to operate in high beam mode? I wired my EVOX-R projectors to come on with my halogen high beams. I love high beam mode on the xenon projector.
    Correct. I used a splitter from TheRetrofitSource.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.