Video tutorial on how to restore a faded rear window shelf on a BMW. For this, I am working with the rear window shelf from a 1997 540i. This can fade quite badly over time due to sun exposure and age. You can even use this method if you want a color change on the fabric too. Originally, this car had black fabric and due to the fading it’s now a light purple. Removal processes will vary, I do have a removal procedure specific to this vehicle so be sure to check it out. As a basic overview, I had to remove the C pillar trim, head rests, seat bottom, and then seat back. I do not have a fold down rear seat either. Remove all the trim pieces on the shelf panel. I have already removed the speaker covers, child restraint covers, and seat belt trim. The fabric still remains very soft, unlike some other spray dyes where it may become rough after it has dried.

Tools/Supplies Needed:
-fabric dye
-vinegar
-spray bottle
-soft paint brush
-vacuum
-bucket of hot water
-paper or plastic barrier

Procedure:
-to remove the rear vent panels, flip the shelf over to access the clips, push the clips and then pull the vents out
-do the same for the head rest trim too
-I would recommend vacuuming the piece of trim first, be careful when doing this as it can mark very easily
-if you have any stains, then I would recommend shampooing the panel then, otherwise this may affect the dying process
-for dye, I picked up some from the local craft store which is intended for fabric
-shake up the dye so it’s throughly mixed, I used a small spray bottle, 114ml or 4oz of dye and then filled the rest of the bottle with vinegar to help the dye bit into the fabric
-total solution in the bottle was 455ml or 16oz. I used about half the bottle of dye in the first round
-use a soft brush, such as a pain brush to help move around the fibres first
-a soft brush won’t damage the fibres but it allows them to move around so the fabric can be dyed evenly without blotches or shadowing
-apply enough dye so it soaks into the fabric and is damp, but not too much where it’s dripping and will cause drying problems
-wear rubber gloves and clothing which won’t matter if you get dye on it
-once done with the first coat, I took it inside and allowed it to dry overnight
-for the second coat, while it’s dry use the brush to fluff up the fibres and move them around in case they’re stuck together and would cause any dying issues
-again using the exact same process, apply the dye and use the brush to move the fibres around when wet
-when applying dye or placing it somewhere to dry, lay down plastic or work in an area where the dye won’t damage something
-the third coat, using the brush to move around the fabric just like before while spray the dye evenly over the fabric
-the forth coat ended up being my last coat
-allowing it to dry over night, just like in between each coat
-as some tips, do not over saturate the area so it takes longer to dry and damaged the glue bond between the panel and fabric
-I waited a few days before reinstallation into the car as well.