Thread: Becker Traffic Pro radio questions

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp

Becker Traffic Pro radio questions

To those who knows about those
    I got one from recommendations on this forum.
    Works great. I love how it sits in a dash and greets me with BMW letters. Sound quality improved a lot too.

Got CDs with navigation. It works. I even tried to get home using it - did couple miles around neighborhood until I gave up I think it's going to be a new game now. When I want to ride around a town - just put some address in and follow directions.

Reading manual - it's bigger than car manual. Takes some time to learn all of the features.

My first project will be to integrate MP3 player with it. I already got pieces. Yatour adapter + Yatour BT module. That should give me USB/AUX + BT hands-free calling. Cool. And it will be all hidden and controlled by radio.

What I'm thinking about doing is multifunctional steering wheel from E38/E39. Main desire is to have heating steering wheel. But buttons will be very nice too.
    So, I found some info(in russian): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgrZe9S_VNQ

There is already mount for slip ring and contacts in steering column. Everything will bolt in right away.
    Heater is not a problem, all it takes is just a power to steering wheel.

Now, our cars don't have IBus and all control buttons work on this protocol. What this guy did - he bought following adapter(sorry, needs translation again):
    http://www.zexma.com/index.php?productID=281

What it does - it hooks to IBus line on a wheel and then translates button pushed to radio-specific control signals so any aftermarket radio can be controlled from sterring wheel. It claims to work with Pioneer, JVC, Alpine, Kenwood, Sony, Clarion, Philips. They have this round connector on a back or it can work via RF

So.. Going back to becker. I didn't see anything in their pinout suggesting that it can be controlled from outside. And this is my question. Can it? It was installed in BMW in Europe, what models? I wonder if it't got IBus already and don't even need any adapters to receive signals from a wheel?
    Last edited by katit2; 01-19-2018 at 12:08 PM.

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    The z8 got this radio . That’s the only bmw I know about ?. This radio came in Land Rover discovery, some prosche’s but non gps version. The Discovery came stock with this radio d3 I believe? I had this radio in the past it’s very good, for the steering retro it’s 1 can wire the goes to the radio for control basically the wheel is powered and the multifunction portion of the wheel does the rest (signal ect) it’s all self contained. If I remember early wheels have a separate control module for the wheel, I used a heated wheel from a 98 740i in my e32. 94 is slightly different wiring than a 95 if I recal correctly 94 back has a carbon pin contact for the horn and 95 is a wire through the slip ring
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by e30luv318i View Post
    The z8 got this radio . That’s the only bmw I know about ?. This radio came in Land Rover discovery, some prosche’s but non gps version. The Discovery came stock with this radio d3 I believe? I had this radio in the past it’s very good
    Did those cars have steering controls for radio? I guess this is main indication if it's going to work..

for the steering retro it’s 1 can wire the goes to the radio for control basically the wheel is powered and the multifunction portion of the wheel does the rest (signal ect) it’s all self contained. If I remember early wheels have a separate control module for the wheel, I used a heated wheel from a 98 740i in my e32. 94 is slightly different wiring than a 95 if I recal correctly 94 back has a carbon pin contact for the horn and 95 is a wire through the slip ring
    Did you make buttons work on your E32 or heat only? Wheel that I need according to video is the one with controls on board (not the one which needs separate controller)

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    Yes all my buttons work I have a cd43 though
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by e30luv318i View Post
    Yes all my buttons work I have a cd43 though
    Even cruise control?

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Ok, seems like people install this radio and do steering wheel controls:

This guy installed similar model in Freelander. He needed special converter to translate signal to IBus:
    https://www.greenlandrover.uk/instal...to-freelander/

Which is GREAT, means Becker talks "IBus" and it can be connected to steering wheel with no adapters!!!

Here is instructions for E46
    http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/01/0815...6_3_SERIES.pdf

Pinouts on page 10 do not have any "IBus" in it. I think it's one of the pins in C2 or C3 under "Specific connection for CD Changer"
    Page 19 shows their harness pinouts and it's got word IBus in it. It's on connector that goes into "C1-3" row on a back of radio.

I guess not all is lost. Need to figure out details though. It might happen that Bluetooth/USB thingy I got will occupy and use same connector, not sure how wheel and adapter will play together.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Looks like a good source for anything Becker + BMW:
    http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/01/0815...ficprofaq.html

BMW Harness Plug:
    Pin 7 is I-bus
    Pin 10 is GALbut the BMW harness you buy doesnt have a pin for pin 10. You have to add it.
    Pin 17 is not assigned
    Some people are considering pulling pin 7 or pin 17 out of the car side of the harness and running it to the reverse wire so Traffic Pro is a fully removable system.

My Cars
    94 540i
    I took the wheel, slip ring, wiring and ibus module from a 96 740i and out in my 94 540i. I never tried to get the cruise working. I hooked this up to a PAC controller and a JVC head unit. works well, but it tales a few minutes for the the PAC to come up and respond to the wheel commands. I am willing to bet that it would work for the Becker (minus the PAC).
    Last edited by govee; 01-20-2018 at 09:44 PM.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    I'm not sure what is going on. I got Yatour adapter + Yatour BT module. That should give me USB/AUX + BT hands-free calling.
    Just got around installing it and this thing does not work. I confirmed power coming out of radio, but no LED, no nothing on adapter.

Now I'm not sure. Is it problem with radio or with adapter?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-SD-MP3-...AAAOSwLsBZQsz4

Doesn't list model 4769.
    I found that BMW Becker is little different and controls BMW CD changer, also has I-Bus. So, I wonder if those adapters will even work?

Adapter I got from China and it seems like I just threw money away. Item is 6mo old and I can't do feedback or anything else now. But they listed 1 year warranty

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    UPDATE

Finally got around to work on this thing again. Yatour adapter I mentioned above is wasted money. Yes, of course this radio got iBUS instead of Becker protocol and it doesn't work.

So, I got this Adapter:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Searched all over the place for Becker pinout to figure out PINOUT. See attached pic, it shows where iBUS is on this model..

had to do some rewiring but now radio talks to LaPower adapter and actually plays music off it !!!

One question is: Why do I get very low signal level out of speakers when on "CD Changer" vs RADIO?
    I get it, car has amplifier. But still. When on radio - my speakers on stand will play a with some ludness. When on CD Changer/AUX in - it is just a line level signal.. Should it be like this?

IMG_2370.jpgtrafficpro-8-4771-BMW pinout.jpgIMG_2369.jpg

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by katit2 View Post
    One question is: Why do I get very low signal level out of speakers when on "CD Changer" vs RADIO?
    I get it, car has amplifier. But still. When on radio - my speakers on stand will play a with some ludness. When on CD Changer/AUX in - it is just a line level signal.. Should it be like this?
    Answering: It shouldn't be like this.. I guess I was confused about pinout of later E39 CD Changer connector and Becker. Red/White wires for L/R channel got me confused too.
    Anyways, what I thought was a signal wires were actually ground wires or maybe it's because E34 is negative wire whatever? Anywyay, swapped wires and got good Audio.

To say I'm happy is to say nothing. Becker Traffic Pro + good audio source is really just fine. Don't need to worry about upgrading speakers/amps. For me it's good as is.
    Got adapter mounted under top air cover. Right now I will just use Bluetooth audio, but later may hookup microphone for BT phone calling. I also may have AUX/USB somewhere below ashtray, not sure but it's going to be custom console.

Picture of my "final" harness:

IMG_2371.jpg

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Quote Originally Posted by katit2 View Post
    Answering: It shouldn't be like this.. I guess I was confused about pinout of later E39 CD Changer connector and Becker. Red/White wires for L/R channel got me confused too.
    Anyways, what I thought was a signal wires were actually ground wires or maybe it's because E34 is negative wire whatever? Anywyay, swapped wires and got good Audio.

To say I'm happy is to say nothing. Becker Traffic Pro + good audio source is really just fine. Don't need to worry about upgrading speakers/amps. For me it's good as is.
    Got adapter mounted under top air cover. Right now I will just use Bluetooth audio, but later may hookup microphone for BT phone calling. I also may have AUX/USB somewhere below ashtray, not sure but it's going to be custom console.

Picture of my "final" harness:

IMG_2371.jpg
    What BT adapter are you using?

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
    What BT adapter are you using?
    Posted link to Amazon above. Keep in mind, to make it work with BMW Becker - you will need to make new harness/adapter.