Thread: Rollbar question (HMS)

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster

Rollbar question (HMS)

I have a 2001 M roadster and trying to get a rollbar. After reading some threads here I was set on HMS (used) rollbar. I have an opportunity to pick one up, but now getting mixed messages from multiple blogs. I thought that HMS works with both soft and hard tops and it was the hard dog that only works with soft top. I am reading on another blog that soft top power mechanism will not work with HMS and needs to be pulled out and as far as hardtop, HT mounting brackets need to be removed for HMS rollbar install. Is that true? Can someone with HMS rollbar confirm if they can still use power soft top and OE hardtop with HMS rollbar? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    HMS works with both tops, though "locks" on hdtp need some modification.

You have to "unclip" the cylinder ftom soft top and raise/lower manually__I used to be able to do it while buckled in the driver's seat, not sure if I am still that agile__but all mechanism can remain in place.

Seems like somebody figured out a way to get enough clearance to keep the cylinder attached, but don't remember any details....

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    HMS works with both tops, though "locks" on hdtp need some modification.

You have to "unclip" the cylinder ftom soft top and raise/lower manually__I used to be able to do it while buckled in the driver's seat, not sure if I am still that agile__but all mechanism can remain in place.

Seems like somebody figured out a way to get enough clearance to keep the cylinder attached, but don't remember any details....
    Thank you Randy. I guess I should look for installation instructions document or video to see what entails, or just send it to you with the car

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Absolutely no way you'll get the power mechanism to work with the HMS. I'd have to take a pic when I get home to show you what I mean, but yeah... Not happening. I just removed the whole system all-together.

As far as hardtop, my HMS bar didn't come supplied with the HMS lower brackets, which I learned that the second revision of these parts basically replaced the OEM hardtop brackets. So I just modified my OEM hardtop brackets to work with the HMS bar, and trimmed the brackets on the top itself to work with the bar.

It was quite a project, but I was determined to have a rollbar that works with my hardtop. Works great!
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim95M3 View Post
    Absolutely no way you'll get the power mechanism to work with the HMS. I'd have to take a pic when I get home to show you what I mean, but yeah... Not happening. I just removed the whole system all-together.

As far as hardtop, my HMS bar didn't come supplied with the HMS lower brackets, which I learned that the second revision of these parts basically replaced the OEM hardtop brackets. So I just modified my OEM hardtop brackets to work with the HMS bar, and trimmed the brackets on the top itself to work with the bar.

It was quite a project, but I was determined to have a rollbar that works with my hardtop. Works great!
    Can you elaborate on all the trimming that had to be done? Pictures would be great. I am trying to figure out if I can do this myself with limited mechanic experience or toolset.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    I need to find a new place to host images, since photobucket ruined the internet. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty sure I have pics of the install on my phone somewhere... If you have a dremel tool, or something of that sort, the trimming was very easy to do. It's removing all of that fragile (and expensive) plastic trim back there without breaking it that sucks. I actually went overboard and ended up trimming my panels a little too much... oops.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I need to find a new place to host images, since photobucket ruined the internet. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty sure I have pics of the install on my phone somewhere... If you have a dremel tool, or something of that sort, the trimming was very easy to do. It's removing all of that fragile (and expensive) plastic trim back there without breaking it that sucks. I actually went overboard and ended up trimming my panels a little too much... oops.
    Just what this is made for - http://postimg.org
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    You've got PM!