Thread: BMW F10 Slip Ring (Column Switch)

My Cars
    BMW F10 520D

BMW F10 Slip Ring (Column Switch)

Hello !
    To start off, this is my first post so forgive if it’s not well written. I own a 2012 F10 520d (European Spec)
    So recently, my slip ring failed. It would make a weird noise when turning the wheel to either side. The horn and multifunction buttons along with the paddle shifters stopped working (Yes, I have the Sport Steering wheel with Sport Auto Transmission &#129303
    I’m in Morocco, and my only option was to buy a used slip ring from the USA (long story). So I went ahead and purchased one on eBay, I made sure to check the Numbers on both parts (Mine and the one I was buying) and they’re the same !
    The part arrived, I installed it myself and everything immediately worked, besides the paddle shifters. Both slip rings were identical to me and had the same part numbers all over it. Now I just remembered that most US SPEC F10’s come with the regular steering wheel without the thick leather and paddle shifters, so it probably came out of one without Paddle shifters (although parts numbers are the same )
    My question is : Is this a matter of programming it with my car (This wouldn’t really make sense because every other function of the slip ring operates normally like it did before) horn, controls etc..
    Or is it a wire that is missing inside the new slip ring for paddle shifters and that I could possibly remove from my old one and plug it back into this one? Or maybe did I miss something in the process ?
    Thanks much. If you guys need pictures of both parts, I have them. They’re identical to me.
    As mentionned above: 2012 f10 520d (Sports Auto transmission with Sports steering wheel)

My Cars
    BMW F10 520D
    Any ideas ?
    I need your help, Please !
    Thanks

My Cars
    I believe the SZL is a control unit, and does need to be coded. There are a few cars (F30) that it is no longer considered a control unit, and wouldn't need coding. I'm fairly certain the F10 is the same as E60 and it's a control unit. I can't guarantee that the function will start working, but it would for sure be the first thing I would try.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    BMW F10 520D
    Hey !
    Thanks for your reply.
    I’m just confused as to why every other function instantly worked after installing the replacement slip ring, without coding ? Isn’t that odd ? If the unit needed to be coded to work, then I am assuming that the other functions wouldn’t work at all . I am gonna try taking appart the defective unit to see if it has an additional cable for paddle shifters that my replacement unit is missing, which would explain why it’s the only thing that is not functioning currently in the car

My Cars
    BMW F10 520D
    I’m not getting help on this unfortunately
    I’m in a tough spot

My Cars
    Did you have it coded?

My Cars
    BMW F10 520D
    No, I did not. I don’t know if it’s required because every function works fine besides the paddle shifters. Buttons on the steering wheel + orange lights at night + horn, all worked instantly without coding.
    Should I give it a try tho ? If so, what is to be coded in ...
    thanks White94RX

My Cars
    Get it coded. Some cars have paddle shifters, some do not. They probably all use the same slip ring. Coding tells the module all the info about the car, i.e. it's equipped with paddle shifters. I can't guarantee it will fix it, but you're pissing in the wind until you have it coded.

My Cars
    BMW 525 2011
    Hi I have Bmw 525 f10 2011 I recently changed slip ring my paddle shifters stopped working but all other functions are working I have try to code it but CAFD file is missing on SZL so I can’t activate it I have try on ISTA but no result either