RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Footwell module sensitivity

My Cars
    2001 525it

Footwell module sensitivity

Recently we have had two cars that the frm modules died. One was a Mini Cooper right after a battery change the other was an e70 right after plugging in the factory Ista laptop to preform diagnostic. I know that there is an extended warranty of 10 yrs or 120k on these for some models on mini and BMW's. When it goes bad the windows or window won't work wnd the turn signals won't work or the headlights won't shut offf with the switch only when you turn off the car.

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    I've seen aftermarket headlights cause issues with the FRM, it would disable the AUX fan.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I personally have to question the wisdom of BMW engineers in sticking the damned module where the sun don't shine, but the water always goes. That module just sucks anyway. If it doesn't kill itself, some other module kills it. In the MINI, it's the worst; the electric plugs are exactly where water and moisture acummulate, from a sunroof drain, or even a cracked window,

Speaking of Minis, how many timing chain cassettes have you done, jbird? I do one a month.

Regarding the FRM, I highly recommend cleaning all plugs, with Wurth Contact cleaner oil, then clearing codes in ever computer.....and THEN, go ahead and order the new FRM......

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Those mini engines are such crap man do they use oil

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You bet....but that's not the bad part! They use a quart every ~1000 miles, sometimes more....but they DON'T HAVE AN OIL LEVEL SENSOR ! The first thing the owner sees is the red oil pressure light ! And the fragile plastic timing chain rails disintegrate, and....oh....there IS one really incredibly good thing about Turbo Minis: A huge proportion of them are owned by drop-dead-gorgeous women with perfect bodies. Oops, damn, that's probably politically incorrect to say these days, huh?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471