My Cars
    bmw x5

2001 X5 Trans Safe Mode, Window Goes Down By Itself

Hi all, I know there are similar posts on here around the same issue but havn't beeen able to find a solution from them.

I have a BMW X5 E53 2001

The battery had gone flat so was replaced with a new one from the guy we bought it from, since then it goes into trans safe program mode, the rear drivers side window also goes down sometimes by itself and can't be put up until you turn ignition off.

The battery reads (on dash) 11.7 volts when not started, 13.3 when idle and doesn't increase from that while driving. I am suspecting an alternator although I have no idea :/

We have only had the car a couple of weeks, so it's frustrating to say the least.

I have so far replaced the ignition switch, had transmission oil drained and refilled. It was very low and i assume it has been run for a while in trans safe mode!!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Your new battery is not charged. Can't really diagnose anything until that is resolved. The higher voltage while running indicates the alternator is charging.I would recommend a trickle charge for a good 24 hours or take it back from where you purchased it and have them test and/or charge.

My Cars
    bmw x5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    Your new battery is not charged. Can't really diagnose anything until that is resolved. The higher voltage while running indicates the alternator is charging.I would recommend a trickle charge for a good 24 hours or take it back from where you purchased it and have them test and/or charge.

Thanks, I'll do that now!

My Cars
    bmw x5
    Battery charged 12.65 v

Put it back on, started car showing 13.6.

Went for a drive, less than a mile trans failsafe showed again.

I had also disconnected sat nav and multi cd from boot and phone incase of battery drain.

Got back, showing 12.1 to 12.2v on dash with just ignition on.

I have changed the ignition switch already in case it was that.

When i turned car off there was a loud buzzing from the rear, like a fuel pump perhaps? No idea that makes any difference or is normal.

Thanks for any help,

Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post

My Cars
    1996 750iL and 2001 X5
    Your alternator is pretty much done. It doesn't charge the battery, so the computer trying to protect you from going fast and losing everything from power steering to power brakes, lights, etc. A healthy alternator on 4.4L should give you at least 14.5V when idling. $500 refurbished from Bosch was the cheapest I could find.

If that is frustrating, I'd recommend you to sell the car asap. 17 yo bimmer is like a bitchy girlfriend)) Lol - always needs your attention. Please don't expect it to be a reliable car.
    "When I turned the car off there was a loud buzzing from the rear, like a fuel pump perhaps?" - It's the compressor under your spare tire. You must have air suspension. The fuel pump shouldn't work after you turn the engine off.

The transmission will also fall into safe mode if it's overheating. In this case, you have clogged up heat exchanger. Or it "thinks" its overheating, meaning temperature sensor inside the tranny is toast. read more here - https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/7208...ses-solutions/

My Cars
    bmw x5

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rokolya87 View Post
    Your alternator is pretty much done. It doesn't charge the battery, so the computer trying to protect you from going fast and losing everything from power steering to power brakes, lights, etc. A healthy alternator on 4.4L should give you at least 14.5V when idling. $500 refurbished from Bosch was the cheapest I could find.

If that is frustrating, I'd recommend you to sell the car asap. 17 yo bimmer is like a bitchy girlfriend)) Lol - always needs your attention. Please don't expect it to be a reliable car.
    "When I turned the car off there was a loud buzzing from the rear, like a fuel pump perhaps?" - It's the compressor under your spare tire. You must have air suspension. The fuel pump shouldn't work after you turn the engine off.

The transmission will also fall into safe mode if it's overheating. In this case, you have clogged up heat exchanger. Or it "thinks" its overheating, meaning temperature sensor inside the tranny is toast. read more here - https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/7208...ses-solutions/
    Thanks very much!!

I'll book it in garage fr a new alternator on Monday

i don't mind this tbh, i bought it to run around a farm and put horse food and hay in the back so I didn't want anything too new, main reason I got it was to pacify a bitchy girlfriend in the first place, not sure getting another was the right thing to do but.....we live and learn.

Thanks again, really appreciate it

My Cars
    1996 750iL and 2001 X5
    Ahaha)) to pacify a bitchy girlfriend and run errands around the farm you should have gone with one of these - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_nHcQESV9w&t=565s.

Nevertheless, X5 is a fine machine if maintained properly. You know, like with a girl)) You bring her flowers every once in a while, take her shopping. She will behave))