Thread: Vehicle shipping/transport service recommendations?

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i

Thumbs up Vehicle shipping/transport service recommendations?

Hello,

Its been a while since I have needed to ship a vehicle and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for any specific companies?
    Shipping always seems to have various sketchy companies around.

I need to have my 850i and a 635csi shipped from two different locations in California to Seattle. Open transport is fine.

Thanks for any recommendations

-cAyle

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Most “shipping companies” are merely brokers that post your request online where truckers bid for the job.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Brokers are a crap shoot.
    From personal experience; As stated by Marco above, the brokers post a job on a truck driver's "load board" for them to accept or not at a given price. It is almost exclusively cost driven with little regard for performance. For example a broker quotes you a figure of $1000 to do your move and asks for a $200 deposit. The $200 goes directly into the broker's pocket and the balance collected by the driver is his share. ALSO, if your price quoted is too low none but a desperate driver will accept the job or it will languish forever on the load board without anyone wanting your load. Meanwhile you'll be fed a load of excuses and the broker is already paid.
    If any damage finger pointing quickly ensues so get written assurance of WHO is responsible.
    The big name enclosed carriers are the most dependable and responsible for damage but you pay for that comfort.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Consider getting a quote from the sponsor of this sub-forum, Intercitylines.

http://www.intercitylines.com
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Thanks for the replies guys - Mirrors my experience and how I've seen it work.

My Cars
    2016 BMW Z4 35is
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Consider getting a quote from the sponsor of this sub-forum, Intercitylines.

http://www.intercitylines.com
    New member and new BMW owner here....and agree with what's said before...you get what you pay for. I paid to have my car enclosed and with a carrier....paid a few hundred more but peace of mind was worth it.
    Live in Chicago and found my 2016 Z4 at the BMW dealer in San Louis Obispo, CA.
    Researched the hell out of carriers, brokers and others. It really is a crapshoot unless you deal with a carrier...
    and even then...
    I flew out to CA signed for the car and spent the weekend driving up the CA coast. Dropped the car off at the dealership on Sunday and flew home.
    I had contracted with Intercity before I bought the car, wanted a closed container because the car was going from CA to IL during the winter. I gave them the date that the car would be ready but were not in any rush saying "we have no trucks in the area". After 3 weeks I called and told them that the dealership was asking about when I'd get the car off their lot. They still had no idea. So I called a carrier/broker and put the car "on the board"...meaning anyone could see that there was a job going from SLO to Chicago.
    Guess what.....got a call that Monday morning that Intercity was going to pick up my car that afternoon.
    I was not impressed with Intercity's pre pickup service.....but that's where the disssatifaction ends.
    My car was handled with kid gloves, Intercity and the driver were complete professionals.
    Met the driver near my home....not an easy thing to accomplish in downtown Chicago and got the car to my garage before the snow.
    As always YMMV, but if you've spent a penny or two for the car....a few more is worth the peace of mind.
    A