Thread: Value of LTW Wheels (8.5" Non-Staggered, Polished, Non-Stamped)

My Cars
    Lots.

Value of LTW Wheels (8.5" Non-Staggered, Polished, Non-Stamped)

When I purchased my '98 sedan it came with (4) 8.5" Polished, Non-Stamped LTWs. Since refinishing and installing my CCWs, I've had these sitting in storage as a "what if I need them" set. I also have my DS1s stored elsewhere with that in mind and am debating what to do with my LTWs.

Condition: True and no rash, but the clearcoat on the lips is flaking off in large flakes in a few select sections on each of the wheels. Wheels are true and I already have nearly new tires installed on them.

Can anyone help me with what the value would be if I were to have them refinished vs. what I could expect to sell this non-staggered set for today with excellent General A/S tires knowing they will need a refinish?

Thanks!
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    99 M3

Value of LTW Wheels (8.5" Non-Staggered, Polished, Non-Stamped)

Set on ebay right now for $1,850

I want them!!! But not at that price!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 01-17-2018 at 05:20 PM.

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    Set on ebay right now for $1,850
    Thanks. Didnt see that set, but there are others with prices seemingly everywhere. Looks like brand-new they were (not sure if NLA) these are $550/wheel but knowing that E36 guys are no longer the purist population of 15 years ago, not sure what a true buyer would pay. Refinishing would likely be $600 total, so if having them perfect nets me an additional $600, I'd do it. If not, easier to simply sell them as-is.

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    I bought a near brand new set (all 4 bought new from dealer in last year or two, 1-2k miles on tires) for $1750 shipped FWIW. Same 8.5 square, non-stamped.

My Cars
    98 M3
    My set matches the condition of yours from the sounds of it (no curbage, straight, a bit of clear coat flaking) but mine are staggered. I'd value them at $900ish
    I'd say yours being squared, $1100 at least sounds reasonable.
    If you refinish them they will almost guaranteed not come out properly compared to OE. The machine finish is tough to match. They are still available brand new @ the dealer for around $525 a wheel.
    edit: re read, depending on the size of the flaking my advice may be irrelevant. I gave myself the impression at first the clear coat flaking was minimal, but depending on how bad it is the value will adjust accordingly.
    Last edited by notMpowered; 01-18-2018 at 12:13 PM.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamGrant951 View Post
    I bought a near brand new set (all 4 bought new from dealer in last year or two, 1-2k miles on tires) for $1750 shipped FWIW. Same 8.5 square, non-stamped.
    Thanks for the data point!
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    My set matches the condition of yours from the sounds of it (no curbage, straight, a bit of clear coat flaking) but mine are staggered. I'd value them at $900ish
    I'd say yours being squared, $1100 at least sounds reasonable.
    If you refinish them they will almost guaranteed not come out properly compared to OE. The machine finish is tough to match. They are still available brand new @ the dealer for around $525 a wheel.
    edit: re read, depending on the size of the flaking my advice may be irrelevant. I gave myself the impression at first the clear coat flaking was minimal, but depending on how bad it is the value will adjust accordingly.
    Thanks for the input. The flaking is pretty bad on some wheels and not as bad on others. However the clear is a little hazy on all lips regardless of peeling or not. Yeah, I am not positive on refinishing as I've seen some where the centers come back more anthracite than stock.

I don't see running these instead of my CCWs or FM10s on either E36 -- so probably best to sell these and recoup some $. I'll try to get some local recommendations for refinishing first to see if its worthwhile.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Boston/Modena
    Quote Originally Posted by 95RogueM3 View Post
    Thanks for the data point!

Thanks for the input. The flaking is pretty bad on some wheels and not as bad on others. However the clear is a little hazy on all lips regardless of peeling or not. Yeah, I am not positive on refinishing as I've seen some where the centers come back more anthracite than stock.

I don't see running these instead of my CCWs or FM10s on either E36 -- so probably best to sell these and recoup some $. I'll try to get some local recommendations for refinishing first to see if its worthwhile.
    Might be interested in snatching them up! PM me some pics
    1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena

My Cars
    German ones
    You're welcome Sam This set was in as close to 'as new' condition as you will find too.

It also took over 6 months for me to get the entire set new from BMW as they shipped from Germany and were out of stock at the time.
    Last edited by MPWRCPE; 01-19-2018 at 10:17 AM.
    Dave
    '18 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
    '15 Pure White VW Touareg TDI
    ///'95 Avus M3 S54B32 Race car -- 2022 ProAutoSports PS1 Champion
    ///'72 Chamonix 2002 (Restoration project)

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    Yes they are excellent, they prob only have 10 more miles on them at this point haha. Definitely one of the best "used" purchases ever!

Thanks again and hope you are doing well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    German ones
    Yes they are excellent, they prob only have 10 more miles on them at this point haha. Definitely one of the best "used" purchases ever!

Thanks again and hope you are doing well.
    You got it man, the car is looking sweet!!
    Dave
    '18 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
    '15 Pure White VW Touareg TDI
    ///'95 Avus M3 S54B32 Race car -- 2022 ProAutoSports PS1 Champion
    ///'72 Chamonix 2002 (Restoration project)

My Cars
    Lots.
    I finally got around to taking pics and making an ad. Still not exactly sure where to price them, but figure the tires might be worth $200ish, so the wheels at $800 needing a refinish is still well under what they would cost new or even used in good condition.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post29941351