Thread: EWS Mileage

My Cars
    E38 7er, E46 M3

EWS Mileage

Every now and then, I scan and clear the fault codes of my car with the PA Soft 1.4 BMW scanner. The other day I bought a X5 4.6is cluster and wanted to check out it’s pixel condition before I send it off to get it programmed. Well it seems that my car’s EWS pulled the higher miles from this cluster. Is there a way or a program I can correct the mileage of my car’s EWS without going to the dealer? Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Unless there's a piece of the story missing...when you reinstall the original components...they should all communicate with each other. Wouldn't the 6 data points in the "redundant storage" info below apply in the scenario you provided? I'm not sure how or where the EWS module gets mileage information from...but the IKE & LCM are probably the most important...and the DME, key, and EWS probably gets their information from the IKE or LCM.

The above is assuming that all you did was plug the 4.6is cluster in...and you didn't attempt to rewrite the VIN and "zero-out" any mileage on your LCM or other modules.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E38 7er, E46 M3
    The IKE and the LCM reads a little less than 20 kilometers of difference from each other at something around 126,xxx kilometers if I remember correctly. The car has just under 80k miles. However the EWS is reading 27x,xxx kilometers. The 4.6is cluster itself has 16x,xxx miles.

There isn’t a tamper dot, but it still bothers me. I know what the car read before I installed the 4.6is cluster. I also have service records exceeding $15k from the previous owner all performed at the BMW dealer with mileage records. So there is no missing piece of the story.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Just to clarify...when I wrote "missing piece of the story"...it wasn't what you were missing...it was what those of us reading about your situation was missing.

All the things you wrote in post #3 were known by you and unknown by (probably 99%) of us. It was clear that you had software to manipulate/communicate with modules. You also told us that you installed a 4.6is cluster and it changed the mileage in your EWS control module...but for anyone that could be of help in answering your question (obviously not me ) there were lots of unknown scenarios that could probably change the responses & suggestions you may get.

Again, not knowing any of the things in post #3...is the reason I posted the info about redundant data between the IKE & LCM...which I can clearly see now....that's not anything you probably didn't already know and probably is not giving you anything toward the answer you seek.

Hoepfully someone with more knowledge about the various software out there can be of better help in knowing if you can make any further corrections.

Good luck.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    As far as I know, there is no mileage store in the EWS, only the LCM and IKE. I'm told the dealer has a setup that can pull mileage from the key as well. Seems like the IKE will pick up the higher mileage of the modules if it differs. There are guys here than can match them up and correct the mileage.

My Cars
    02 E39 530i
    Did you ever figure this out? My 4.8is is on the same situation. Replaced cluster (due to a faulty original one) with a higher mileage used on. Ran it just to check and it over wrote the to the higher mileage to my EWS, EGS & DME but not to my LCM. Had the tamper dot and mileage corrected so now my IKE and LCM have correct mileage but now want to change the other modules to match again.

My Cars
    E38 7er, E46 M3
    If the mileage is stored in the key, that means it is recording the miles which is in the EWS. So yes, the EWS do store the mileage.

I couldn't figure it out unfortunately. However I took a visit to the BMW dealer when I was having my airbag recalls done on my E46 M3 last month. After I mentioned this to my SA (known him since the early 2000s), he took the car inside for a complimentary check up (diagnosed it on top) and did noticed the EWS was reading different mileage than the IKE and the LCM. But ended up telling me to not worry about it as he sees this issue on a daily basis with the older diamond key equipped BMWs.

Does it still bother me, heck yeah.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    No way to adjust mileage on ews?

My Cars
    '97 540i Dinan, 98 740iL
    My '98 (6/97 production) also has this discrepancy... 190k miles on both the cluster and LCM... some ridiculous number over 400k miles reported by PASoft from the EWS. The condition of the car is certainly consistent with the displayed figure, as is the title (I bought it 9 years ago with 133k miles).
    So I just ignore it when scanning
    '98 740iL E38 201k, TCG at 190k, 5HP24 at 195k
    '97 540i/6 E39 Dinan blower & stage 1 suspension 114k
    '93 525i E34 "Golf Ball" (hail damaged) 334k

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
    Every now and then, I scan and clear the fault codes of my car with the PA Soft 1.4 BMW scanner. The other day I bought a X5 4.6is cluster and wanted to check out it’s pixel condition before I send it off to get it programmed. Well it seems that my car’s EWS pulled the higher miles from this cluster. Is there a way or a program I can correct the mileage of my car’s EWS without going to the dealer? Thanks in advance.
    We’re you ever able to find a solution to this? I got a spare cluster at the junkyard and wanted to check the status of it but don’t want it to overwrite any existing mileage info. I have read that it takes about 100km to have the EWS reread the mileage but cannot find if it will revert to a lower mileage or not.
    2001 BMW 740i | 2013 Ford SVT Raptor | 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD