Thread: Heater Valve internals Info

My Cars
    1995 540i/6

Heater Valve internals Info

I am in the process of rebuilding my heater valve - pt #64118391417 and am struggling finding a gasket/o-ring repair kit. There is a seller LRNJ on Amazon/eBay-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075T...lrL&ref=plSrch

But the kit listed seems to be for an E38/39 heater valve pt # 64118374994. My question is- does anyone know if the internals for the solenoid are identical/interchangeable?

There is one other option- from the Ukraine:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Heater-Va...sAAOSw3RZaL-c5

Does anyone have experience ordering either? Suggestions? Wish I caught Furrulli when they offered the kit :/

Thanks all!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    whichever you order from, they all are probably made in China and maybe even the same factory. The sellers in Ukraine and Lithuania just buy them in large quantities from the wholesellers.
    I would order a kit where it says made for E32, E34, E31 heater valves, and including the cone valves. (just in case yours are broken)
    When you install the new cone valves, check and compare the shaft length of the cone valve. I remember a case on the German E34 forum last year where one bough such a kit and the shaft of the supplied cone valve was shorter, did not work with these. So he used the old cone valves with the new seals and that worked fine.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Thanks Shogun!

I ended up purchasing the following kit which did include the E34 and E32 in the listing:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Heater-Contro...=1762753444001

I took apart a used heater valve (Bosch) and the cones / internals are all fine (cleaned them up as best I can). I plan on pulling the OEM heater valve from my car and do not want to do so until I have a solid gasket set. Photos to come!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    1994 525i, 1995 525i
    Just a note to add... My heater control valve failed on my '95 E34 this spring. I ordered a replacement seal kit online and when I removed the control valve from my car I found the seals to be shot but it was obvious that the seals in the replacement kit were not the same as the seals in my factory control valve. I replaced them anyway and the control valve did not work.

It seems that there are aftermarket replacement control valves (made in China) that will replace the factory Bosch units but the internal seals are different. Most of the seal kits available online appear to be for these aftermarket kits and will not work in the Bosch control valves.

There are no replacement seals for the Bosch control valves, you have to replace the whole unit. I got one from NAPA for about $220.00. The Chinese units are about $75-$100.

The new control valve worked fine.

Also the control valve is a snap to replace if you take a minute to remove the bracket that holds the two diagnostic connectors just in front of the control valve.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 530i
    Thanks for the info everyone, I've been meaning to do this for a while now and just ordered the same kit as JThomp33.

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Back to the rebuild. After I pulled the OEM broken unit, I realized a few 2 of the 6 screws were rusted and no longer had threads. Did the old dremel trick -cut a slit into each and used a flat head to remove. Pulled the OEM apart - which was slightly different than the Bosch replacement unit. Some photos below:

Valve Kit from the URL above:
    Gasket kit .jpg

Guts of a heater valve:
    Old core apart .JPG

Both units disassembled and gasket comparison:
    Both cores and parts .JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    ... My post above got a little messed up after deleting attachments.

Moving on- all items disassembled, I then proceeded to clean everything internal. Photos below:

Cleaned plungers, springs and cones:
    cleaned internals .JPG

Cleaned top plate:
    cleaned plate .JPG

And now the fun part began. If you do this- please use a tremendous amount of care and patience. Initially, I could not figure out where the middle gaskets went. Further investigation revealed I would need to remove the brown valve sleeves. This turned out to be a complete PITA:

Removed/broken/slightly damaged, etc - you get the idea:
    Valve linings .JPG

I needed to do all 4 (2 in each unit) due to one breaking and one cracking - hence patience.

View down the valve cylinder:
    Bottom gaskets installed .JPG

Removed, new gaskets installed for the cones and placed back in:
    linings installed .JPG

.... to be continued courtesy of the 5-photo upload rule.....

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Final view of the unit before assembly (Sorry for the wacky upload - saved the image all 4 ways and still uploads upside down. 1st world problems....)
    Reinstalled plungers .JPG

Heater valve assembled along with replacement aux water pump:
    Heater core and aux WP .JPG

Bought all new hoses, and the 3 rubber mounts for the heater valve. Keep in mind this was all done and replaced in mid-February (Mid winter in PA)- and has been working ever since. I bought a Behr heater core that I planned to do all summer, and still have yet to take on. I plan to use this DIY as a reference:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...(IHKA-content)

Side note: I have a bunch of photos from last summer from when I my car mysteriously cut off while driving down the road. Electronics were fine, but it would not start. This was shortly after I installed a Walboro 255 Fuel pump. I ended up doing the following:
    - pulling and cleaned the fuel rail
    - replacing both in and out fuel lines
    - replaced fuel pressure regulator
    - Pulled, cleaned, and "rebuilt" my fuel injectors (kit from Dr. Injector)

Ended up working and still never found out what the real "issue" was.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    great post.

I recently replaced the original water valves with one from ebay. These had a German flag on the box, cost about $50 and they do not allow sufficient fluid through to create the same degree of heating..

I do not have the aux pump in line but even when getting RPMs up it clearly isn't getting as hot at with originals so I'll be trying this repair since now new BMW ones are over $500

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Thanks!

It is unfortunate that the OEM heater valves can cost more than a used E34 or parts car, although I am fairly certain the OEM BMW heater valve was stamped with the 'bosch' logo. I may be wrong is saying the OEM may be bosch?

All this work due to two small pieces of plastic decided to break:
    Broken pieces .JPG
    (Top of the water pump and the middle of the lower heater valve assembly)