Thread: Help Me Please...!!

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8l

Thumbs up Help Me Please...!!

I have checked forum but unable to find an answer to my question.

When I drive my 1998 Z3 2.8L and accelerate quickly my car will start to feel as if it is misfiring, stalling, gets louder but power stalls. If I leave it at high RPM’s for 5 or more seconds while this is happening my “CEL” will come on and then car will start to run worse. I’ll then pull off the road to find car idle is very rough while “CEL” is on. If I turn My Z3 off and restart my car, the “CEL” light goes away …AND…So does the rough Idle etc. If I drive my Z very gently and apply the gas very slowly car will accelerate fine no feelings of dead spots etc. Once I push the throttle down quickly and hold it down so car will accelerate quickly it will start to act up again “CEL” will come back along with rough idle etc. Until I shut car off and restart it once again. Help Me Please.

I have replaced spark plugs and have always ran 92 Octane gasoline. I get no Hard code readings. I just get a temporary issue stated above. Please help me if you can…��

Thank you in advance for your time.
    Last edited by PNWZ3; 01-16-2018 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Forgot engine size

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Have you checked your intake pipe for cracks/leaks?
    Kelvin

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    You need a BMW oriented code reader that can properly read the codes, right when it happened.
    Also if it can see live values of all sorts, it would help even more.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    If the light came on, there is a code. You need a BMW code reader, or an OBD2 scanner that reads pending codes.

The computer is seeing a misfire that is bad enough that it kills the cylinder totally until you cycle the key. Likely a bad coil or two. The codes will tell you which ones.
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 01-16-2018 at 08:58 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8l
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Have you checked your intake pipe for cracks/leaks?
    I have not. Is this something I can do or do I need to go to a shop. If simple process, please explain and I'll have a look. Thank you for your thoughts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    If the light came on, there is a code. You need a BMW code reader, or an OBD2 scanner that reads pending codes.

The computer is seeing a misfire that is bad enough that it kills the cylinder totally until you cycle the key. Likely a bad coil or two. The codes will tell you which ones.
    I have an OBD2 reader but, this time even though light is on my scanner tells me there is no issue either in the stored code section or pending code section. I looked at freeze frame to find an issue show up I addressed much earlier P0301 . I changed spark plugs and code error went away but stayed in the freeze frame....go figure?

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWZ3 View Post
    I have not. Is this something I can do or do I need to go to a shop. If simple process, please explain and I'll have a look. Thank you for your thoughts

- - - Updated - - -

Look at the black plastic pipe running from your airbox to the intake manifold. You may need to remove it to get a good look. I agree with other posters though that you really need to read the codes.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M-Roadster, 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Look at the black plastic pipe running from your airbox to the intake manifold. You may need to remove it to get a good look. I agree with other posters though that you really need to read the codes.
    This is what you are looking for:

The picture shows the underside of the intake boot.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Must have read this same request on half a doz different groups.
    You solved it yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8l
    Thank everyone.. I am very, very happy to have found such an awesome forum to be part of. You all are very helpful and I very much appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

So far I have checked for Vacuum leaks and have not found any. I put in a Lucas injector cleaner ... results yet to be determined. I have replaced spark plugs as well.

I did notice today out test driving I caused the CEL light to come on a bunch of times. Most of the time No error message could be found a restart was just needed to make light go off. A few times I would get a error code that jumped from one cylinder one time ... then another the next. giving me something like this....P0301 once ...P0303 once....P0305 once ... each time I was able to look at a freeze frame.

One thing that was a consistent message was "DTCFRZF" then the P030 etc. followed this .... Each time the light cam on was when engine was under a quick load (pushing down on throttle quickly) example ... in third gear tach'g about 4K I quickly down shifted to 2nd and quickly the RPM's climbed and with that the engine stalled and light would come on. Sometimes I would just need to restart to turn light off ... other times I received a hard code and had to clear in order to turn light off.

What are your thoughts about the message. "DTCFRZF" the a cylinder mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by magnetchief View Post
    Must have read this same request on half a doz different groups.
    You solved it yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NO..!..LOL Not yet, but getting lots of expert advise for sure. Much appreciated!...

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code
    FRZF = Freezeframe.

Sounds like you need a better code reader and a set of coils.

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8l
    DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code
    FRZF = Freezeframe.

Sounds like you need a better code reader and a set of coils.
    Should my reader have given more info than just the cylinder "DTCFRZF" ......... "P0301" ?

There is more info below the line above in the freeze frame data. Is this the info I am missing you're speaking of. If not, I imagine I need a better reader, like you say!

QUESTION: If I had bad coil or coils, wouldn't I always get a "CEL" hard code message? One that would not turn off after just by a restart?

Please when you can answer for me. Thank you in advance for your time..
    Last edited by PNWZ3; 01-17-2018 at 08:54 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    You say the reader says there are no codes, yet gives the corresponding freeze frame data for the ghost codes. Based on that, the reader is defective.

There is no code or test for a week coil. You will just get misfire codes.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8l
    You say the reader says there are no codes, yet gives the corresponding freeze frame data for the ghost codes. Based on that, the reader is defective.

There is no code or test for a week coil. You will just get misfire codes.
    Thank you for your input. I may end up having to take into shop.