Thread: FCPEURO OEM parts questioned

My Cars
    M3, 540i/6, Cayenne TTS

FCPEURO OEM parts questioned

Hi, first post.

I'm doing my CCV so ordered some parts for my CCV repair and some other seals and gaskets while I'm in there. I tried to go OEM as much as possible and originals on critical parts. But when I received my parts, some of the OEM's are in plastic zip lock bags with their part numbers written in sharpie. I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I mean how do I know if I'm really getting OEM or some Chinese made replicas that they buy in bulk? Shouldn't OEM and brand names supposed to be in their own brand labeled package? Why, then, have the options of choosing BMW and OEM over non OEMs? I know they have a life time warranty on all their parts but I like to know what I'm actually buying.

I've ordered from other online retailers before like Bavauto, ECS, RME, Turner etc. but I don't recall, AFAIK, I was sent OEM parts in plain plastic bags...maybe some miscellaneous things like bolts and washers. This is the first time I ordered from FCP so anyone ordered from them got the same thing? Should I trust the parts are in fact OEMs?

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Have you tried contacting FCP before coming on here about this? Only time I got something similar to this, was the DISA valve rebuild kit, the box had been opened, the plastic bag containing the kit was ripped open, sure I felt like this was bs, but everything was in there and looked legit, I rebuilt my DISA valve, car runs great, happy as hell. Parts come in a generic bag, check them over, run the part numbers, and whatever else stuff is printed or stamped on them, but you should contact them with an e mail, they are really quick to resolve anything that comes up.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    M3, 540i/6, Cayenne TTS
    I didn't contact them, yet, cause I'm sure they'll say it's legit and warranted. I wanted to know if anyone experience this so I can back my concern when I contact them.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Dude, they are a good company, have you even looked at the parts you got? Write down the part numbers, and manufacturer numbers, and do some research, contact them, not us, before starting a thread like this beforehand.

My Cars
    M3, 540i/6, Cayenne TTS
    They are O-rings and gaskets without any markings so there are no part numbers. Without their own packaging there are no way to tell aftermarket from OEMs. I'm not asking the forum if MINE'S are legit or not, I'm asking if this is normal for them to do this and if anyone has any opinions on their parts they received.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Yes, it is normal for FCP to do this. I bought their oil filter housing kit, with the gasket, VANOS oil line, and some bolts. The bolts were indeed packaged in small zip-lock style bags with hand-written pen on them.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    I second the above statement. I've purchased a number of items from FCP, and small items are oftem delivered in plastic bags as you mentioned earlier. I have yet to have a problem with FCP. Another option to consider is FCP's warranty. You can return or replace the items at any time. Used or unused. For any reason. In the 10 years I've been buying parts from them, I've only ever had to use the warranty once. (I could have returned worn parts for replacement, but I never consider that when buying brake items, filters, etc.)

I suspect that the small parts are purchased in bulk and repackaged.

James

My Cars
    '13 E70 35D
    The question you should be asking FCP is who are they buying their stock (or specific part in question) from, OEM or OES?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Do you know the difference between OEM and OE? If not then do some research. There is a difference. OEM and aftermarket can be the same thing. Not necessarily a bad thing. Not always a good thing too.

In general:

OE - Same part that was put on your car in the factory.
    OEM - Part made by the same manufacturer that made the OE part. Not necessarily the same part that was put on in the factory. Could be, could not be.

I have received many parts from FCP in this fashion and have not had any need to question their quality. Some of these parts are bought in bulk and must be repackaged for sale to the consumer. Just go to your local BMW dealer and buy an oil drain plug, washers, O-rings and miscellaneous screws, nuts and/or bolts and you will see that you will receive them in the same manner but likely without the bag and identifying part number. If you local dealer is like mine, none of these little bits and pieces will be in stock.
    Last edited by crazy4trains; 01-16-2018 at 08:04 AM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    That tends to be how my O-rings and washers come when I order from a dealer too.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    FCP buys their stuff from all different sources. They buy direct from BMW (or other automakers) wholesale dealers for sure, they buy from big 'master wholesalers' for many many other brands, they buy direct from other suppliers.

Depending on the part you order, and who the maker/supplier is, any number of things could happen:
    - FCP may have it in stock on the shelf and send it to you
    - They may have it shipped in to their warehouse overnight and then sent out
    - They may have it drop-shipped from the supplier, and I've had FCP items arrive at my house drop shipped directly from a BMW or Audi wholesale dealer, or from an "OE" part wholesaler.

OP should have no worries although I can understand the concern if you aren't familiar with them. Honestly I've found FCP to be 100% legit and trading in good-faith with their Dealer / OE / aftermarket labeling in the catalog, and excellent in discussing and addressing any questions or doubts I have had.

I have only once found, buying "OE" parts (not 'dealer' in this case) that what came had different brand labels than what was indicated when I ordered. Turned out after some research that was not their fault exactly but in fact the supplier doing brand games and them trying to ensure I got my parts quickly. Specifically the M62TU secondary timing chain tensioners you could order "INA" and get "INA" or "RUVILLE" boxes, which were listed in the catalog at very slightly different prices. Turns out both were the exact same part in different labeled boxes, because in fact INA owns the Ruville brand and makes them in one factory and just - for some stupid reason - brands them either way. FCP had been supplying either box when they were out of stock of the other I think, knowing they were identical inside. After scoping it all out and talking on phone w/ them I was satisfied that both were the same OE part. Interestingly I think they dropped the dual-listing for the part in the catalog because I did complain that it was not only confusing, but how come one was a few bucks less than the other even though you're assuring me they are identical. Just checked and there's only one INA-branded secondary TC tensioner listed now. (FWIW I suspect the Febi also might be 'contract manufacturered' by INA in the same factory so there's really only one factory for that part, but that's just my best guess...)

Now, to OP's concern - if you've ever ordered real BMW (or VW/Audi FTM... and I'm guessing Volvo etc. etc. are all same...) parts yourself from a big wholesaling/internet dealer, you'll find that small 'wide multiple use' type parts are usually not individually packaged. Fasteners of all sorts, or crush washers or certain O-rings etc. If you order those from a dealer, you'll get a plastic bag with a handful of them in it and the little printed-paper-strip label stuck on to match your order saying "PN 696969 Qty 2".

So... knowing that... in the case of a dealer part that FCP stocks on their shelves because they sell it in high volumes... how do you think they get the parts? I'd pretty much guarantee its the exact same way - they order 5000 O-ring-crushwasher-locknut-trim-retainer-dingusgizmonuttachments, which come from the dealer in a big ass bag, with the little printed strip saying "PN 696969 Qty 5000". Which they then have to "pick and pack" for you when you want 1 or 2 or 5 or whatever. Simple as that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    I have received many parts from FCP in this fashion and have not had any need to question their quality. Some of these parts are bought in bulk and must be repackaged for sale to the consumer. Just go to your local BMW dealer and buy an oil drain plug, washers, O-rings and miscellaneous screws, nuts and/or bolts and you will see that you will receive them in the same manner but likely without the bag and identifying part number. If you local dealer is like mine, none of these little bits and pieces will be in stock.
    DOH. Simulpost from not clicking 'refresh'. Exactly.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    I've been buying parts for a looooong time from RmEuropean, Autohausaz, FcpEuro and few others and what OP describes is totally normal and I received stuff like that from all 3 and rarely if ever had any issues.
    One possible explanation is that they buy certain small parts in batches of 10, 50, 100 or whatever coming in the same big box and then obviously they sell number ordered which would necessitate repacking them in small bags.
    P.S.
    Just realized GG said the same thing in much more detailed and precise way.
    Last edited by BMW540san; 01-16-2018 at 08:46 AM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW540san View Post
    P.S.
    Just realized GG said the same thing in much more detailed and precise way.
    After crazytrain said the same thing in a simpler and more concise way...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek N. View Post
    Hi, first post.

I'm doing my CCV so ordered some parts for my CCV repair and some other seals and gaskets while I'm in there. I tried to go OEM as much as possible and originals on critical parts. But when I received my parts, some of the OEM's are in plastic zip lock bags with their part numbers written in sharpie. I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I mean how do I know if I'm really getting OEM or some Chinese made replicas that they buy in bulk? Shouldn't OEM and brand names supposed to be in their own brand labeled package? Why, then, have the options of choosing BMW and OEM over non OEMs? I know they have a life time warranty on all their parts but I like to know what I'm actually buying.

I've ordered from other online retailers before like Bavauto, ECS, RME, Turner etc. but I don't recall, AFAIK, I was sent OEM parts in plain plastic bags...maybe some miscellaneous things like bolts and washers. This is the first time I ordered from FCP so anyone ordered from them got the same thing? Should I trust the parts are in fact OEMs?
    I'm happy to clear up any question here. In regards to your order which I was able to find in our system there are several items that we receive in bulk and stock in bulk. Item's like oil line o-rings, throttle body gaskets, seal washers, and small miscellaneous hardware we usually order in the hundreds. These items sit loose in bin storage in our warehouse. We generally do not receive parts like this pre-packaged from any supplier when we order a large quantity. Rather we will receive the ordered quantity in a large box or large bag. Even some parts that we order from the dealer we will receive bagged by their parts department because the items are not individually packaged. The time it would take for us to re-bag each of these items to stock would be astronomical. It's easier to label and bag the items upon picking the order.

For example. the fan shroud clips you order we stock like this:
    Last edited by FCPEuro; 01-16-2018 at 09:14 AM.
    Lifetime Replacement Guarantee, Free Shipping on $49+, and Hassle-Free Returns.
    FCP Euro - OEM & Genuine European Auto Parts Online

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Wow. That's some CS right there.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post

Now, to OP's concern - if you've ever ordered real BMW (or VW/Audi FTM... and I'm guessing Volvo etc. etc. are all same...) parts yourself from a big wholesaling/internet dealer, you'll find that small 'wide multiple use' type parts are usually not individually packaged. Fasteners of all sorts, or crush washers or certain O-rings etc. If you order those from a dealer, you'll get a plastic bag with a handful of them in it and the little printed-paper-strip label stuck on to match your order saying "PN 696969 Qty 2".

So... knowing that... in the case of a dealer part that FCP stocks on their shelves because they sell it in high volumes... how do you think they get the parts? I'd pretty much guarantee its the exact same way - they order 5000 O-ring-crushwasher-locknut-trim-retainer-dingusgizmonuttachments, which come from the dealer in a big ass bag, with the little printed strip saying "PN 696969 Qty 5000". Which they then have to "pick and pack" for you when you want 1 or 2 or 5 or whatever. Simple as that.
    OP-I've experienced this as well with items such as plastic clips, O-rings, and other small odds and ends. GG is spot on with this answer.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek N. View Post
    They are O-rings and gaskets without any markings so there are no part numbers. Without their own packaging there are no way to tell aftermarket from OEMs. I'm not asking the forum if MINE'S are legit or not, I'm asking if this is normal for them to do this and if anyone has any opinions on their parts they received.
    Ha! This post would have helped right at the beginning, before I passed out. I thought you were talking about actual parts, like a waterpump, a sensor, but like everyone has answered, they get stuff like what you got in bulk.

My Cars
    M3, 540i/6, Cayenne TTS
    Thanks to all for the replies. It's comforting to know that I'm getting what I'm buying. It seems FCP is a legitimate business, but not knowing their reputation beforehand I was a little concern. I just didn't want to tear my engine apart again for some stupid $2 o-ring that's buried deep in the engine because it'll break down in 3 months from emission gas. BTDT, from my own negligence of course, so I didn't want to repeat that again. But in case anyone wonder, my tip is don't use heater hose on fuel or emission parts.

My Cars
    '02 530i w/Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by FCPEuro View Post
    I'm happy to clear up any question here. In regards to your order which I was able to find in our system there are several items that we receive in bulk and stock in bulk. Item's like oil line o-rings, throttle body gaskets, seal washers, and small miscellaneous hardware we usually order in the hundreds. These items sit loose in bin storage in our warehouse. We generally do not receive parts like this pre-packaged from any supplier when we order a large quantity. Rather we will receive the ordered quantity in a large box or large bag. Even some parts that we order from the dealer we will receive bagged by their parts department because the items are not individually packaged. The time it would take for us to re-bag each of these items to stock would be astronomical. It's easier to label and bag the items upon picking the order.

For example. the fan shroud clips you order we stock like this:

I'd be like a kid in a candy store going through their warehouse.....I want one of these and one of these and one of those

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I can say nothing but good things about FCP Euro and can echo what GearGrinder and FCP themselves have said that they just get things in bulk and package it that way. I've bought many parts from the dealership and received them the same way. I also want to say that FCP has the best customer support and I've bought thousands of dollars worth of parts from them over the years. Returns are super easy and the lifetime warranty is unmatched. I can't recommend anyone as much as these guys and the fact that they chimed in on this thread is a true testament to their being a legit good business.

Thanks guys!!!

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2003 525i
    ITT: FCP arrives with resounding force.

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    And now for the installation. It is designed to fit exactly in the space provided. I installed one last year and opted for the 'cold weather' option, which has a foam insulation around everything. CCV and tubes and all *just* fit in the spaces provided. It was a bear. Not to mention these things always fail in the cold, so installation in the cold means those plastic parts are pre-brittled. Too much force on removal or install can be deadly. Take your time. Be prepared to yell a bit, but maintain cool and it will all fit in there.

I have seen DIYs where the fuel rail is lifted off- I didn't have to do this even with the foam covered breather hoses, but ferreting them under the top of the motor to the little nipple it snaps on to was a bear as well.

Bottom line, it did solve the vacuum leak problem. On removal of the whole deal I found it was a crack on the hose that feeds back to the dipstick tube. In real life that's all I *needed* to replace at the time, but I'm glad the whole deal is replaced.
    Last edited by bigMphan; 04-18-2018 at 07:44 PM.