Thread: Headlight cover adjustment

My Cars
    91 850i

Headlight cover adjustment

I'm having a hell of a time adjusting my headlight covers. I had removed the buckets to change the intake tubes that are underneath, and have never been able to get them to fit right again. Someone on the e31 FB group posted a pic of this and mentioned it makes this task a breeze. Anyone know where i can find one? I'm sick of the "trial and error" approach...
    e31 headlight cover tool.jpg

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    I posted that pic on FB. That tool is more rare than MK1 wheels - I spent 6 or 7 years looking for them. This tool makes the adjustment a breeze - takes less than 5 minutes each side. Unless you know a BMW dealer willing to part with theirs, it will be a long journey...
    Last edited by TxGR8White; 01-15-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850
    Wow, so fancy tool! Never seen before.
    But I don't really get it...
    So first you mount that instead of original but you still need to close the hood and you can't adjust or fasten it with the hood closed.
    I have adjusted mines without tool long time ago but I don't remember it was that tricky.
    Good luck anyway

Skickat från min Nexus 5X via Tapatalk

My Cars
    bmw 850
    is that tool for the passenger side headlights or does it work on both ?

My Cars
    91 850i
    I have no idea. All I know is that I'm having a hell of a time getting mine right, and then saw this. Apparently it makes it easy. If anyone has one, let me know if I can buy or borrow it. I'll make it worthwhile. Thanks.

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    What I did is remove 2 diaganolly opposite nuts and place some blue painters tape around the hole then reinstall the nuts and draw around them with pen. Then remove all 4 and easy to put light back in same position.
    I realize it is too late for this but you can still mark the position then close hood mease the offsets transfer to marks on light and move accordingly.
    The studs that set the height at each corner of light did not move when I did this.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    There is a left and right side of this alignment tool. You mount it in place of the actual metal headlight cover. The tool has spacers and is the same thickness as the normal covers. It has cut outs where you insert the wrench/Allen key combo tool and you can then adjust vertical at all 4 corners and because there are spacers on all four sides, the headlight assembly is located with perfectly equal panel gaps. Life is soooooo much easier with it.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    Tool doesnt look difficult to make. You could probably use some lexan. Might take some time to figure out what to use or how to make the spacers.

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    There is a left and right side of this alignment tool. You mount it in place of the actual metal headlight cover. The tool has spacers and is the same thickness as the normal covers. It has cut outs where you insert the wrench/Allen key combo tool and you can then adjust vertical at all 4 corners and because there are spacers on all four sides, the headlight assembly is located with perfectly equal panel gaps. Life is soooooo much easier with it.
    How often are you ever really doing this though?
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyparts View Post
    How often are you ever really doing this though?
    I have used this personally about 5 times for the 3 E31’s at the house, and on 9 other E31’s to date, so if you figure it takes about 10-12 minutes per car vs. the hour or so per side without, I have saved myself a lot of time and frustration.
    Last edited by TxGR8White; 01-16-2018 at 12:25 PM.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    I made a set myself from a guy parting out an e31. cut my own holes out and use it a fair bit when aligning my lights (after repairs of some sort) or on friends around Calgary. Very handy to have, thats for sure!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rv1890 View Post
    I swear, my cars are like a girlfriend.
    Sometimes its a rough ride, sometimes its smooth motorin'.
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.
    BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    I posted that pic on FB. That tool is more rare than MK1 wheels - I spent 6 or 7 years looking for them. This tool makes the adjustment a breeze - takes less than 5 minutes each side. Unless you know a BMW dealer willing to part with theirs, it will be a long journey...
    Lets Fix that!!
    I'd be willing to reproduce the tool in ABS so the tool can be more readily available.
    It is possible to make it without the actual BMW tool as a template but that would make it more of trial & error effort.
    The "T" handle wrench is easy to duplicate using off-the-shelf tools: "T" handle metric Allen and GearWrench "Pass-Thru" ratchet & extension.

I have the E31 body adjustment manual so I have a basic understanding of how the tool performs, but I have only set my headlight panel the hard way.
    Would like a few detailed photos of both sides just to make sure my assumptions are accurate.

First question: is the handle really that useful or would one or two strategically located finger holes do the job.
    Second question: what is the thickness of the gray tool panel. measure with a caliper (.xxx") as the tool thickness accurately sets the height of the headlight panel.

To fabricate, I only need one side as a template as the Right & Left tools are a mirror image assembly; using the identical parts.
    I would supply several tools gratis to the individual that loans me an adjustment tool as a work template.
    I guarantee I will not to harm the tool.
    PM me if you're interested.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    The gray cover is actually a steel headlight cover with the cut outs for the tool. The t-handle is necessary to make it work quick and precise.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi

Headlight cover adjustment

So, do you screw the tool down like the actual cover, loosen the 17mm nuts and then close the hood down over it, lift hood up and re-tighten the 17mm nuts?

How does it help with height adjustment? Or is this still eyeballed?

The problem I always have is the cover/light pod moves as the 17mm nuts are tightened down causing the final position not to be the same as the one I initially put it in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    The wrench is actually a 17mm socket with an Allen key going through the center. You loosen the nut slightly and twist the Allen key to achieve the proper height at each corner. With the 4 nuts slightly loose, you can position the complete assembly in the opening ( the cover has spacers around all four sides to give a uniform gap). Once you have that, twist the nuts tight. The spacers keep the pod aligned. The first time I did this, there was a bit of trial and error since this alignment tool really didn’t come with good instructions, but after the first headlight, the second one went really quick.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III