RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Review of stahibus quick drain for engine oil change

My Cars
    2001 525it

Review of stahibus quick drain for engine oil change

5,000 miles ago I put in this stahibus quick engine oil drain fitting. The main part screws in to where the drain plug would go and stays there. On my e39 I could only tighten it with a wrench there was not enough room for a socket. Then there is a cap with an oring in it that is screwed on to the fitting when you are not draining the oil. So you remove the cap and insert a quick turn tube ands the oil starts draining. It is quite easy to use, the oil drains a little slower but it's ok. I do like not having to mess with the drain plug. The cap that covers the fitting is supposed to be hand tight, but I took pliers and snugged it just a little bit. It is made and machined very well

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Thanks, jbird. Personally, I'm a little leery of such things.....many of the race cars I work on even have safety-wired drain plugs. I know that several good friends use an "extractor", to suck all the oil out of the dipstick tube, and they all seem very happy with that. Still, every new option deserves an experienced consideration, and your experience makes this recommendation very valuable. Do you happen to have a link to the device?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    I just installed one in my 128i, in no small part because the arrangement of the drain plug and the little door meant that a mess of some sort was inevitable without something to better direct the flow. I concur with jclausen's analysis: it's really well-made (in Germany), and the combination of the ball valve and the o-ringed screw-on cap basically eliminate the possibility of leakage.

Here's the link: http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/oil-drain-valve/

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I to was very Leery of it. I discovered it in a motorcycle magazine and they were setting this sv650 up for track use and wanted a quick way to drain the oil. But after 5k with it it was dry as a bone and inserting the drain tube was easy. Though I have never strip a drain plug or threads in an oil pan yet, I always kind of worry abit when torquing those drain plugs. I would supply a link if I knew how, but I am not at all computer savvy. Just search the name you will find it, the company makes other things also like speed bleeders I think

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    While not familiar with your particular device I'm a fan these type fittings. As long as properly installed they are a nice convenience, especially if your oil changes are frequent. years back I was piling miles on a car for business at the rate where oil changes were every couple of weeks. it was nice to just reach under, turn the lever 1/4 turn and be done.
    I had something similar to this: https://www.ezoilchangevalve.com/sto..._Products.html

If you have problems getting it clocked properly a second seal ring might help. I wouldn't ordinarily advocate two but as long as both are new it shouldn't be a problem. It's easy enough to monitor for a drip or loosening.
    Last edited by ross1; 01-15-2018 at 05:39 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Also Fumoto oil drain valves.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S