Thread: Replace Gauges on M Roadster?

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M-Roadster, 2007

Replace Gauges on M Roadster?

The faces on the three gauges in my roadster's console are faded and the clock doesn't work. Also, I'd like to have an oil pressure gauge. I was thinking I might replace the clock with an oil pressure gauge from the "vision VDO series" and replace the oil temp and voltmeter with similar units. Obviously the bezel is of slightly different design. I was going to see how difficult it might be to remove the bezels from the old gauges and put them on the new gauges. If the bezels don't come off the old gauges with ease, I'd stick with the new gauges as delivered. egauges.com appears to have very competitive prices for these units. Has anyone done anything similar? Is there any reason this won't work? Does anyone have any experience with egauges.com?

My Cars
    z3
    The OEM gauges are still available and an OEM-looking oil pressure gauge setup is available: https://www.leatherz.com/collections...nt=20834780673

It is possible but very very difficult to disassemble the gauges in a way they can be put back together nicely

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    To me, more important than matching the bezels is matching the backlight color. Back when I was investigating this exact change, one of the vendors would do custom matching. It may we'll have been egauge.com.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M-Roadster, 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    The OEM gauges are still available and an OEM-looking oil pressure gauge setup is available: https://www.leatherz.com/collections...nt=20834780673
    Yes, I have looked at their website, their prices are at close to 3 times what I have found on egauges - at least for the oil pressure gauge. There may be some hidden costs that close that gap that I haven't seen yet.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHalverson View Post
    Yes, I have looked at their website, their prices are at close to 3 times what I have found on egauges - at least for the oil pressure gauge. There may be some hidden costs that close that gap that I haven't seen yet.
    Just like there can be hidden costs, with Andy & Jon Maddux @ Leather Z, you can find hidden value. BOTH of them have been Z3/M enthusiasts, providing accessories and advice for our cars since before I ever owned one, let alone started working on them.

I'm as value-driven as anyone, and certainly not innocent of shopping for the best prices at times, but I also recognize the vendors that would disappear without our support, and that would be a bad thing for all of us.

Though I don't remember all the details, Jon once explained to me the cost and process involved with putting the matching bezel on gauges (I've bought several of them over the years, for boost & oil pressure, water temperature, etc.) and when broken down, it's still a good value for the money.

In your case, if you're considering changing out all three (3) console gauges, then matching bezels isn't as much concern, but for anyone looking to only replace one (>1) gauge, what cost would you pay to make it really look right; if you don't, you know it will always be a source of contention?

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I have two gauges from Andy with the M bezels (oil pressure and boost). It was my understanding that he orders M gauges from Germany and swaps the bezels over to a compatible VDO gauges. He also matches the lighting to the M amber. Expensive? Yes. Totally awesome and worth it? Absolutely!

You don't have to buy the entire kit either. You can email LZ for a quote on just the gauges and piece your own kit together.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 01-15-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    z3
    One thing I'd really love is matching the S54 gray gauges... mmm...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHalverson View Post
    The faces on the three gauges in my roadster's console are faded and the clock doesn't work.
    I've got a spare clock somewhere, but it might be faded as well (the needle is I'm sure). I just bought a grey S54 oil temp gauge with a pitted bezel. It's just an experimental piece to see what removing the bezel entails. I was going to play with it and eventually install it in my Z3 Coupe somewhere, as I'd really like to know the oil temp there too. I was just going to paint the bezel black if I can't get the old one off.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 01-15-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42