Thread: Heck! (-blende...)

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)

Heck! (-blende...)

Hi all, just wanted to share something about Heckblendes, and see if someone who has installed one can share tips about it. Besides that, sorry for the crappy pictures, they're not mine.

I got a BMW Heckblende, and it seems like the hole for the trunk lock doesn't wanna fit over the lock gasket... The hole has a big inner ridge, which I suppose I would have to (very carefully - gulp!) file a little bit?

bmw 2.jpg bmw 3.jpg

Now, when looking around for pictures on the web, you can see that the Hella one doesn't have that ridge, so I assume it would fit properly over the lock...

hella 1.jpg hella 2.jpg hella 4.jpg

At first I thought I'd have to get a different lock gasket, but when looking on realoem, there seems like there's just one of them (51248102819), so that option is a no-go... Anyone else has run into the same problem?
    Last edited by The Chauffeur; 01-14-2018 at 07:44 AM.

My Cars
    Are you sure you got the correct heckblende? I have the hella and it fits no problem. But heckblende was available for more than just e34

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    The one with the ridge pictured above is a factory part (didn't know these existed, but I searched the part number on it). Which means 1) it almost certainly fits properly and does not need to be filed 2) It may be intended to be installed under the gasket. Like you have to remove the whole lock and reinstall it. BMW does not care about difficult installation the way aftermarket suppliers do. They just make it right (and seeing paint through the hole, if it were a light colored car, is not right).

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliescff View Post
    Are you sure you got the correct heckblende? I have the hella and it fits no problem. But heckblende was available for more than just e34
    Yeah, it's the right part; it fits ok besides the lock gasket. Every picture I've found on the internet shows the BMW ones with that ridge, and the Hella ones with the slightly bigger hole; I think I've seen AC Schnitzer ones before, but don't remember the details...

Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    The one with the ridge pictured above is a factory part (didn't know these existed, but I searched the part number on it). Which means 1) it almost certainly fits properly and does not need to be filed 2) It may be intended to be installed under the gasket. Like you have to remove the whole lock and reinstall it. BMW does not care about difficult installation the way aftermarket suppliers do. They just make it right (and seeing paint through the hole, if it were a light colored car, is not right).
    Yeah, that would make sense, as the gasket would also seal the Heckblende hole; I have a new gasket (haven't installed it yet), but the inner groove doesn't seem wide enough to go over the sheet metal and the Heckblende... maybe the lock would push it in place (?)

My Cars
    German Super Saloon
    Perhaps there is a different gasket part number for when you use the Heckblende. With the factory M5 one it does not use the ridge as there is a grommet that is part of the lock which hides the body paint underneath. The Hella part mimics the factory black plastic Heckblende that is on the M5.

Brian
    Photobucket sucks!

Long live the E34!

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Thanks for the input; yeah, I was looking into the M5 grommet, maybe that'd do the trick... I was also thinking I might be able to find a generic grommet with a wider groove; either way, what I want to avoid is to have to modify the Heckblende, that thing is worth more than the car itself...

My Cars
    German Super Saloon
    I don’t recall the part number but you can get the M5 grommet individually. The only issue is the lock is different than the standard e34 so you have to do some modification to the grommet and glue it in place. Otherwise get the lock from an M5 which I didn’t bother looking into since it was on my 525i DD at the time.

Brian