Thread: Replacement side view mirrors

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL

Replacement side view mirrors

I'm looking at replacing the side view mirrors on my prefacelift 750iL. My current ones are the normal non-dimming version, but heated as all USA cars were.

There are piles of replacement mirrors on eBay, both new and used, but most of them look to have 4 mounting clips on the back:

But I've only seen that style referenced for E39 installation. Any E38 installation has referenced the version with a ring on the back:

The latter would appear to be incompatible with the former. So which is correct?

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    I wonder if I've answered my own question. RealOEM lists part number 51168209809 for the heated and auto-dimming mirror (left), which FCP Euro shows with the ring (and 4 wires) on the back. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ex-51168209809

But RealOEM lists 51168165109 for the heated but non-auto-dimming versions, which don't have the ring on the back and no sealed black border. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ne-51168165109

So I think I'm just going to order the latter and see how it turns out. Happy to hear if anyone else has confirmed this.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    You're correct...the regular glass heated mirror glass for the e38 uses the same set-up as the e39 and older e34...they all just pop on/off.

If you have the auto dip/dim mirrors...then you have the small bayonet at the bottom that releases the mirror from the housing...as well as the thicker black band around the circumference of the mirror glass.

Have you decoded your VIN to see if you have the auto dip/dim side mirrors?

Below are images of my heated (NON dimming) e38 mirror glass:

{e34 regular heated mirror...same design...different color motor...but mirror mounts the same}

{e38 regular driver/pass heated mirror glass below(no thick black band around circumference}

{rear}

[front}

{rear side of auto dim/dip mirror...has the bayonet on the lower side}
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-16-2018 at 05:13 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    You're correct...the regular glass heated mirror glass for the e38 uses the same set-up as the e39 and older e34...they all just pop on/off.

If you have the auto dip/dim mirrors...then you have the small bayonet at the bottom that releases the mirror from the housing...as well as the thicker black band around the circumference of the mirror glass.

Have you decoded your VIN to see if you have the auto dip/dim side mirrors?
    Thanks. I wish they hadn't called them auto "dip" mirrors. I don't have the auto-dimming side mirrors, but I do have the "other" dip function that pivots the passenger mirror down when reversing. So mine are like your first set, without the thick black band around the outside.

I ordered a set like them - a Euro-style driver's aspherical/blind spot mirror, and an USA-style passenger side (with "OBJECTS ARE CLOSER..." text).

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Great...I really appreciate the aspherical/wide angle mirrors. I wish the USA would mandate them.

BMW's use of "auto dip" has long been a strange interpretation of the electrochromatic auto-dimming mirrors. But I think it goes back to when BMW actually had mirrors that physically moved when headlights from behind shined on the little "eye". Those mirrors failed miserably (back in the late 80s/early 90s)...and were replaced with the type of EC mirrors that we have today....but "auto-dip" seems to remain in the BMW vernacular in regards to auto dimming mirrors. Auto-dazzle is another term that I've seen.

The passenger side feature where the mirror "moves" when the transmission lever is moved into REVERSE...is called/referred to as..."tilt"...not "dip" when you run across the feature in BMW documents.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-18-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Great...I really appreciate the aspherical/wide angle mirrors. I wish the USA would mandate them.

BMW's use of "auto dip" has long been a strange interpretation of the electrochromatic auto-dimming mirrors. But I think it goes back to when BMW actually had mirrors that physically moved when headlights from behind shined on the little "eye". Those mirrors failed miserably (back in the late 80s/early 90s)...and were replaced with the type of EC mirrors that we have today....but "auto-dip" seems to remain in the BMW vernacular in regards to auto dimming mirrors. Auto-dazzle is another term that I've seen.

The passenger side feature where the mirror "moves" when the transmission lever is moved into REVERSE...is called/referred to as..."tilt"...not "dip" when you run across the feature in BMW documents.
    Nice. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    750iL; 330Ci cab; 5GT
    In the very last image from Q, be careful in operating that little lever in the red box as it can break off, if pushed the wrong way.